What C body Bob does for fun

Im right there with ya
That is something that has always been on my mind. I had a neighbor (John) that would stop by and check out my cars, drink a few beers and tell stories. He came to the US from Germany after WW2. His Dad was drafted and became a local constable. He defected and hid out in a chicken coup behind their house. He ate nothing but raw chicken eggs for 2 weeks. Luckily the war ended when my neighbor found his dad, and he could come out. Anyways, lots of cool stories were told. John told me he retired at 58. The perfect age. Young enough to still do things, old enough to have made the most out of a career. Obviously hard to do, but a great goal.

I'm pissed that I wasted all my life working so I could retire.
Life has never been better.
Like Bob said, plan for it in advance. I planned it for 35 years.
It worked...

My father retired after being a workaholic all his life. No other interests. No hobbies. No anything.
He died several years later....
Heart attack or boredom. You chose.

I will be happy to retire permanently and I won't be bored .. I had a year of practice after I retired from the AF before I went back to work and it was awesome. Messing with cars, fishing, shooting pool and enjoying life. I can't wait to do it again.

We talked about this recently..... naaive thinking at 15 to 25 ,bad luck and bad decisions led me down the no retirement for me road. No regrets, that road led to this one. im good!

We talked about this recently..... naaive thinking at 15 to 25 ,bad luck and bad decisions led me down the no retirement for me road. No regrets, that road led to this one. im good!

I think the really important thing here - whether yer gonna retire, or not - is having good health. It is what matters, whether - retired or still working.

I think the really important thing here - whether yer gonna retire, or not - is having good health. It is what matters, whether - retired or still working.

I agree. Much rather be healthy & working than sick & in pain & not able to do anything.

If I could do it, I'd retire tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it. I have enough to keep me busy.

I am eliminating the retirement step...

There is a few things that you can do that might help or soften the blow. Your probably doing some of this, but here is a few thoughts. Contribute pretax to a 401k and max out any company contributions, set up a IRA. Don't park it in bond funds until interest goes up. Try to take your health care out pretax also. Don't let anyone put you in an annuity, delay your ss checks if your health is good. It goes up 8% each year that you don't touch it, I think up to 70. Refi your house if your interest rate is high. Better yet - pay it off. Possibly take out a reverse mortgage one day if nothing else pans out. Buy a piece of rental property in a decent area with demand, that will pay for itself. Some of the best mutual funds are with Vanguard, the fees are some of the cheapest. Trust nobody but your Mother, and watch her.

If you're happy and healthy, never regret past decisions. They were the best decision at that time. No mistakes. Just learning experiences.

Posted via Topify on Android

Oh, and we have five kids, two still home. Old cars in the garage and have refinanced four times already..... in debt out my *** and struggle every step of the way. We earn more than ever before and still pack lunch everyday. I push mow my quarter acre and buy new socks once a year weather I need them or not. The house will be paid off after I am 70 and I have lived here 18 years already. I keep a small honey pot that I throw my spare change in and that is my vacation/Carlisle money. STILL , after all this I am the happiest guy in the world with little to no regrets. I have everything I have ever dreamed of and with not a penny in my pocket I still consider myself the richest man in the world.

Sorry about your Mom. That is just an old saying a former boss told me & it stuck. Happiness is more than a balance sheet. Attitude is everything.

Nope, dont sweat it ....... I didnt take it any way just replied to imply I can trust no one yet I am a trusting guy.... figure that out.. . . . .
I was 30, mom was 54, I had to take care of everything, including tell her dad the news...... Character and experience I have

Back