What color for my Wifes 1967 Newport ?

Big Bad Boat

Reaction score
I bought a 67 Newport for a parts car for my 68....but it turns out it is better then my 68 and so I am having the bodywork done on it first.

It has a light blue interior and we are trying to decide what color to paint it.....it doesnt have to be a mopar color. This is the interior...

Any ideas ?

Thanks

BigBoom

IMG_20160813_121452.jpg

There is a reason to stay within the factory offerings beyond being a "purist" (or elitist, snob, prude, grandma, etc.) and that is the idea that many people don't see color all that well, thus they do not see subtle differences in color undertones; the color added to the primary color. That '69 Newport painted IROC Camaro blue is a good example. The colors look like they were chosen by a 13 y/o and it would annoy me just sitting in the driveway. If it was something I wanted, I'd deduct for a new paint job right off the bat.

I see it a lot in green, but it also exists in blue, where the undertone is either red or green. I don't have a color book in front of me, but most 60s blues had green undertones and by the later 70s, had changed to red. So the point is, don't stray far from the year. Moving to another manufacturer (often) makes things even worse.

We are C-body people, not E-body owners. We are supposed to know better. This cheapo repaint of a Cuda that didn't hit the whole doorjamb shows the issue.

plymouth_h4f8.jpg

Wow...I never would have thought of the undertones. But your explanation is excellent. Thanks :)

I am not a purist in the least so factory colors on same factory vehicles has never been important to me....I have always enjoyed custom paint, street rods etc.

But my wife wanted to paint it purple...but with a blue interior....Im not thinking it is a good combination.

Thanks for all your recommendations so far

BigBooom

My suggestion is narrow down a few suggestions and then show them to your wife and ask what she wants. Life will be happier if her car is painted the color she chooses.

Stay with original color. These combinations were chosen by designers with years of training in their field. BTW what does the tag say?

Be careful when you order paint as Q1 for Charger B5 Blue it is coded sometime as QQ1 which is Spanish Red Poly on Chryslers 1966-1967 AFAIK

This is the difference in years, the QQ1 is technically not the paint code, Q is, the QQ1 is the paint scheme code, Body/Roof/Single tone. Later they put this on the tag as separate codes B5 B5. The color code letter isn't consistent from year to year so when looking make sure you take note of the year as well.

Alan

Back