What fuel do you use?

I always use the higher octane at the local place in the older cars... Why? Dont know, it seems like the thing to do. Around here all the fuel comes from the same refinery with each "brand" using their own additives.. The local no name brands buy from the bigger guys. It doesnt matter to my cars because they arent complaining.

1)cheapest
2)cheapest
3)cheapest
I have never put anything other then regular in ever vehicle i have ever owned and i never had a problem related to fuel type or brand. I had a 97 buell motorcycle that i ran premium because if i didnt it would ping and chatter, but that was a air cooled engine and heavily modified.

1)cheapest
2)cheapest
3)cheapest
X2
Plus Walmart oil.

If it pings on the grade gasoline it was designed for, it's not running properly.
All gasolines are the same. Go to any tanker farm and look at the trucks. AMHIK.
You can buy Motrin or Walmart Ibuprofin. That's why.

Last edited:
X2
Plus Walmart oil.

If it pings on the grade gasoline it was designed for, it's not running properly.
All gasolines are the same. Go to any tanker farm and look at the trucks. AMHIK.
You can buy Motrin or Walmart Ibuprofin. That's why.

x3 except the Walmart oil...sometimes it's from another retailer that has it on sale.

I like to think that the higher octane fuel will burn a little cleaner and more efficiently which means fewer deposits left behind and maybe even some better mileage to offset the cost over regular unleaded. I'm not picky where I buy it from.

Thats my thought Matt, I drive the cars so little the extra thirty-five cents per gallon is worth it.

Exactly, I run 87 in my daily and 91 in the classics. We should all be running oils that still have the zinc content or be adding zinc to the stuff that doesn't.

Walmart non symthetic is made by Warren Petroleum.
Walmart synthetic is made by exxon.

Warren ain't shabby stuff....

11qu26p.jpg

I've always wondered if when people say that they want to build their engine to run on "pump gas",do they mean 87 octane? They never seem to say which octane level they mean. Same with engine builds in magazines, they just say it runs on "pump gas",but never mention the actual octane level.
I buy the name brand oils in the hopes that I'm getting better additives in their oil. Of course, I have no way of actually knowing.

I've always wondered if when people say that they want to build their engine to run on "pump gas",do they mean 87 octane? They never seem to say which octane level they mean. Same with engine builds in magazines, they just say it runs on "pump gas",but never mention the actual octane level.
I buy the name brand oils in the hopes that I'm getting better additives in their oil. Of course, I have no way of actually knowing.

When people say 'run on pump gas", it means that they can fill up at a gas station and not have to add octane boosters or mix AvGas into it. That also means that even if using premium 92 octane, a rule of thumb is that a 10:1 C.R. is about max.

< Sent from my tablet >

in 87 I had a 440 built with 12.1 compression and beat the snot out of it on pump gas all day long. Of course, it got 4 miles to the gallon.

in 87 I had a 440 built with 12.1 compression and beat the snot out of it on pump gas all day long. Of course, it got 4 miles to the gallon.
The timing must have been really retarded. No?
Or did you just let it knock like a boiler factory?

< Sent from my tablet >

Never knocked. My limited engine knowledge has always been my weak suit. This is what I know, in 87 the engine cost me $4000.00 built by Radar corporation. The heads were done by Brandywine cylinder heads. ... It had 292 duration with a 510 lift on the cam and 12 to 1 compression....... with a thermoquad on top... Thats all I know, and I used Sunoco Ultra, at the time that was 94 octane

Never knocked. My limited engine knowledge has always been my weak suit. This is what I know, in 87 the engine cost me $4000.00 built by Radar corporation. The heads were done by Brandywine cylinder heads. ... It had 292 duration with a 510 lift on the cam and 12 to 1 compression....... with a thermoquad on top... Thats all I know, and I used Sunoco Ultra, at the time that was 94 octane

Ultra 94. Haven't seen that in years.
Remember Mobil (I think) "white gas" or was that before your time.
Damn, I remember Sunoco 104 at the pump!! Was 75 cents a gallon when ordinary premium (100) was only 60 cents. lol

< Sent from my tablet >

Last edited:
I use the 93 octane premium. Runs a little smoother and has a little more power with less pinging under load. Timing is at spec but I suspect the EGR, manifold exhaust ports plus the temp that it runs at all contribute to the engine's desire for premium. It will run on less octane but just not as well.

I'll have to stop at a Sunoco station......I don't think they sell anything in the 100's octane anymore in my area.

Back