What to do with all these junk 440s

@SGT FURY , what are doing ? save me some . i'll grab some from you .

DSC02498.JPG

What's the vin stamped on that one? Presumably it was put in a 71. That pad is odd the P is very plain yet the rest is pitted away.

How many of you have torn one down in that condition? Then do it 9 times? I'm guessing that check from 440source doesn't look that great on the other side :p

POMONAMISSEL.
That was Most Unkind, Please Refrain from posting personal photos without Warning. I had to reach for my heart Medication when your Image Flashed Up. LOL
Please DON'T Take Offence I am JOKING!
I Have Refrained from Posting My Own Image out of Consideration for other Members.
SGT FURY:
I understand only too well, My Place looks like the Local Tip, I was the Only Bachelor in our Club so Guess where All the Spare Parts Cars got Pulled Apart.
Long & Perhaps Boring Rant Follows. (I'm getting into My Dotage, Forgive Me).
Just to continue on Topic, Having been a Mopar Fan for close to 60 Yrs I have learned not to Throw Anything Away.
Items that at the time of Disposal were Plentiful have since become somewhat Rare and Apparently Gold Plated from what I can See from the prices being Charged.
( I have seen Rusted out Hulks that I used to be given, now selling for A$3000)
Around Forty Years ago I was in the Wrecking Industry & had many Contacts, Whenever a Dodge was offered to another Wrecker they would usually refer it to myself.
People would arrive on my doorstep & ask if I wanted a Dodge. The most I paid was A$300 for a 68 4dr H/T with 383 & some were Free. It was in the Years following the Great Petrol Shortage Scares, so no one wanted a Fuel Guzzler even the Car Dealers. (The A$300 Car was one of the Most Dangerous I have owned, the Motor ran so Quietly I came close to putting my Hand into the Fan Blades on a Number of occasions and that is NOT an Exaggeration). Anyway My Point is that there does come a Time when we need to Thin out our Collections, But I don't know how Many Times I have Regretted parting with Something. My Advice to Club Members is to have at least One Spare if not Two before even Thinking of Parting with any Item & if offered something that Doesn't Fit your Car take it, You can Always swap with Some one Else who does have something that you need. I realise I'm a Old Waffler but I have always advised that if you own a Dodge you must own a Spare Parts Car. Keep in Mind that here in the Land of OZ "Production" Numbers ran at around 400 Sedans & 400 H/Ts per Year (up till 1972) So Spares were Always somewhat Limited in Supply and of Course RHD Components can't be sourced from the States. (Idler Arms, Pitman Arms & Lower Ball Joints All have to be Rebuilt). My Old DA used to say, the cheapest thing you can put into a car is Petrol & Having had my License for 55 Years I have come to Agree. I have owned many V8s & many Four Cylinders & many of the Little Cars have been Great Transport, But that's all they are, Little Runabouts. I hate going on a Long Drive in a "Little" Car. There is Nothing more Enjoyable than Cruising in a Big Old Dodge. Comfort, Ease & Above All Style.
Regards Tony.M
(If at Any Stage I become too Boring, Don't be Afraid to Say.)

gents , i'm still smiling , lol . but i was smiling before i tide the knot . she is a great gal , and lets me play with my cars . as she knows there my lov's as well as her . and sgt fury heavy duty or hp or webbed blocks , 440's 400's 383's mh 413's , any 727's and any clutch stuff , bellhousings , flywheels , pressure plates , clutch disc's ect..... there's a couple pics of the pre-wedding folks , my beautiful bride in her butterfly hose , and my best man tina's brother in the white shirt and has hair is partners and VP of sales n marketing at ARP fasteners . lol .
DSC02468.JPG
DSC02476.JPG

and of course i'm happy on my 65 birthday , lol . i ran in an nhra event on my 45 birthday , and got married on my 65 birthday . thats two great things that happen on my bdays . not going to count the childhood ones .

I'd LOVE to relieve you of some of your iron. Pity you're just out of easy driving range. If I could get a UHaul and a few days maybe.... If I had a RUNNING 440 ow, then getting some of your treasure would be more appealing. Even so, I'm watching. I have a gem of a wife who LIKES old MoPars, and even permits me a fair bit of liberty with collecting parts,... if they can be used. Keep us all posted! :)

65's? I thought 66 was the first year for the 440. Should be 413's if they are 65's.

440s were being cast and assembled mid 1965 for installation into 1966 model year cars, which themselves were starting to be assembled in late August of 65 for sales commencing in the fall of 65.

Blocks, maybe. If you're building a stroker you throw everything else away anyway.

A lot of work to get some of them apart I suspect.

Kevin

Not really. Seal the ports if you can't close the valves,fill the engines with brake fluid or vinegar (vinegar eats rust like you wouldn't believe),and then put your air compressor hose to a spark plug you have knocked the center out of and installed a air hose fitting into,and put 150psi or so of pressure on it.

Once the air and the brake fluid/vinegar has freed the rings,repeat t.he air operation using something like ATF. Soon you will be able to spin the engine over with a ratchet with the plugs out.

Repeat as necessary,and you will have an engine you can easily disassemble for rebuilding without breaking anything expensive. I have done this several times.

Remember,not everybody is building a 800 hp pro street car. Lots of guys want to rebuild stock engines for a "driver" car.

Back