What to do with the parts car? Another resto?

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
So I load the parts car onto the rack to start pulling off parts (mostly trim and chrome pieces) and I am thinking, what will I do with it after I rob the parts?

Originally I bought it to restore it, thinking stupidly that I could add a roof rack and third seat. Not! The only way to get those is to buy the whole car with them!

It is a 77 T&C. About 68k miles. Original paint. licensed, roadworthy. Basic options like pdl, pw, ac.... Original paint. No rust. Even the rear valance under the tailgate door is still painted. Factory tow package. Dash pad is messed up. Door panels messed up. Front seat messed up. Carpet like new. Back seat barely ever sat in.

So here is what I was thinking. Do I junk it? Derby it? Sell it as a project for someone else? Do I put the more worn trim from the one I'm restoring back on it?

Then I get thinking, 'I'll have it all apart', why not paint it?! I could paint it for a few grand. Needs little. If I didn't put all the side trim back on that is missing, it would be a good looking 'stripped down' T&C.

What I would do with two wagons is a different issue.

What have other people done with their part cars?

It sounds like you should just drive it or sell it to someone that would.
Firmly against derby stupidity, Very much for driving and enjoying.
I bet it would make a nice parts chaser/hauler.

I would save it. None of my parts cars were even close to road worthy (Imagine body panels different colours, and missing pieces etc.).

I would do one for show and the other with driver quality trim etc.

I guess I should include some pics. I need the mirrors, rear bumper, couple of interior pieces. A handful of beltline trim. The grill looks new so I will reuse that. The tailgate key works on the window so that goes.

IMG_5879.JPG
IMG_5880.JPG
IMG_6628.JPG

That wagon is the parts car?????:wtf: If i did that I couldn't sleep at night.
Your car.

I need nice parts!

But I get your point. I have to pull parts off with a eye to putting this back on the road.
Pull off all the parts you need. Replace with poorer quality items. Resell car for profit. Get your stuff for free .This has been going on for decades with the muscle car crowd.

Pull off all the parts you need. Replace with poorer quality items. Resell car for profit. Get your stuff for free .This has been going on for decades with the muscle car crowd.
Thank you. I'm not alone. I've never had a 'parts car'. This is my 5th restoration and the lack of availability of parts is epic!

I will reassemble with the so so parts I have from the project car and drive it or sell it. I don't need another car to drive so I will likely just move this on to a good home.

Took off the rear bumper tonight. Easy. Putting the rusty one back on. It's ok, just no where neere show.

I did that with a '62 Imperial I bought to get pit-free chrome. Fixed the power windows and a few other things along the way. Sold for profit.

So I load the parts car onto the rack to start pulling off parts (mostly trim and chrome pieces) and I am thinking, what will I do with it after I rob the parts?

Originally I bought it to restore it, thinking stupidly that I could add a roof rack and third seat. Not! The only way to get those is to buy the whole car with them!

It is a 77 T&C. About 68k miles. Original paint. licensed, roadworthy. Basic options like pdl, pw, ac.... Original paint. No rust. Even the rear valance under the tailgate door is still painted. Factory tow package. Dash pad is messed up. Door panels messed up. Front seat messed up. Carpet like new. Back seat barely ever sat in.

So here is what I was thinking. Do I junk it? Derby it? Sell it as a project for someone else? Do I put the more worn trim from the one I'm restoring back on it?

Then I get thinking, 'I'll have it all apart', why not paint it?! I could paint it for a few grand. Needs little. If I didn't put all the side trim back on that is missing, it would be a good looking 'stripped down' T&C.

What I would do with two wagons is a different issue.

What have other people done with their part cars?
I have been driving my parts car... It has already won a few new door dings and scratches as a result, and I am so glad every time I find one that it happened to that car.

Mine isn't pretty, but it's mechanically sound. It provides me the peace of mind that I have a used part if needed to resolve whatever goes wrong with the twins. It also sleeps outside as there is no space for it indoors.

I could never kill it outright. No derbies, nothing for the scrap man... If she ever comes fully apart it will be to save several others or to be brought back to pretty.

BTW, I'm not allergic to the idea of making a profit, but after you have cherry picked the car... anything you get in return is "found money" and it may be worth more in good will and trade than cash. Somebody out there is dying for an entry level wagon or a clean body. Please be patient and you will find her a good home.

Even after you put the "bad" parts back on this one, you will still have a very respectable car to sell that someone else can restore. Thanks for deciding to sell.

I would love to find a semi-decent 4 dr. Formal and store it away as my parts warehouse for my car. Having the assurance of always having a part when needed would put my hoarding personality at rest.

I would love to find a semi-decent 4 dr. Formal and store it away as my parts warehouse for my car. Having the assurance of always having a part when needed would put my hoarding personality at rest.
A wagon wouldn't help much. Looks like it is only similar from the drivers door up body and interior wise.

A wagon wouldn't help much. Looks like it is only similar from the drivers door up body and interior wise.
I think he is semi referring to mine, which doesn't have a single item better than what he already has, but is a nice thing to have around if something does go wrong. Your auction car on the other hand, would be almost perfect.

I guess I should include some pics. I need the mirrors, rear bumper, couple of interior pieces. A handful of beltline trim. The grill looks new so I will reuse that. The tailgate key works on the window so that goes.

View attachment 110883 View attachment 110884 View attachment 110885

That's not a parts car.

This is a parts car:
(5) Darrell Brown loved this car to death | For C Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

Your wagon is a solid, decent car. Swap all the parts that you want and then sell it to someone that will drive it. Or keep it and drive it as is. You won't worry about ignorance in parking lots.

And please, whatever you decide, don't derby it or sell it to a derby guy.

Then it's gone forever.

Hope the opinion helps.

John

Back