What year 360?

mgm1986

Reaction score
As I continue to plan (and replan) I have decided to start looking for a 360 to swap into my '68 Fury. Knowing most of you also suggest a 360 for towing this makes the most sense for me. I will pull the original 318 and put it off to the side just in case.

I have been doing my research and do know there have been changes to the block. (http://www.mopar1.us/sort.html)

That said, which year(s) 360 should I be keeping an eye out? LA vs Magnum? Do they all swap in with the same amount of effort? Is converting an EFI to Carb as easy as replacing the intake manifold? If I happen by a late model totaled car/truck/van with a newer EFI 360 for a good price, should I scoop it up?

I have never done anything like this and want to try and tackle as much as possible myself (obviously with your brains!) I plan to continue and enjoy her with the 318 the rest of this year.

Thanks all! This will allow me to get things going while I continue to enjoy the Fury.

A little note to consider too, you will need a counterbalanced torque converter to go with the 360. I am assuming the transmission in your car is a 727?

The flex plate needed will depend on what you ultimately find for a core engine. There are basically 3 types: LA360s - they run from 1971-1987 or so. The TBI LA 360 with runs from 1988-1991, and the Magnum 5.9L that runs from 1992-1998 I think. The most powerful in factory form is the 92-up Magnum 5.9L as found in Dodge trucks and Jeeps. Cheap, strong, built well, with modern stuf. But - they take a little to get in and running in and earlier chassis: you will need to buy an intake for the carb, the fuel pumkp extension for the cam, and an LA style timing cover for a mechanical fuel pump, an oil pan and pickup for your chassis, and the 360 Magnum weighted flex plate. With those parts, in stock form, it's the MP 300hp crate engine. The best bang for the buck if you're doing a rebuild is the TBI LA 360. It has the carbureted timing cover, you'll need everything else to bolt it in but the flex plate is just the plain "360" weighted flex plate. But - it doesn't have the static compression so it needs pistons (hence the rebuild) and it does have a hydraulic roller cam which can be a significant savings if you want to avoid flat tappets. last is the LA 360 - it can be had with everything you need but compression, and you'll need the "360" weighted flexplate.

A little note to consider too, you will need a counterbalanced torque converter to go with the 360. I am assuming the transmission in your car is a 727?

I am assuming that as well, I haven't confirmed that yet though.

The flex plate needed will depend on what you ultimately find for a core engine. There are basically 3 types: LA360s - they run from 1971-1987 or so. The TBI LA 360 with runs from 1988-1991, and the Magnum 5.9L that runs from 1992-1998 I think. The most powerful in factory form is the 92-up Magnum 5.9L as found in Dodge trucks and Jeeps. Cheap, strong, built well, with modern stuf. But - they take a little to get in and running in and earlier chassis: you will need to buy an intake for the carb, the fuel pumkp extension for the cam, and an LA style timing cover for a mechanical fuel pump, an oil pan and pickup for your chassis, and the 360 Magnum weighted flex plate. With those parts, in stock form, it's the MP 300hp crate engine. The best bang for the buck if you're doing a rebuild is the TBI LA 360. It has the carbureted timing cover, you'll need everything else to bolt it in but the flex plate is just the plain "360" weighted flex plate. But - it doesn't have the static compression so it needs pistons (hence the rebuild) and it does have a hydraulic roller cam which can be a significant savings if you want to avoid flat tappets. last is the LA 360 - it can be had with everything you need but compression, and you'll need the "360" weighted flexplate.

It sounds like you are saying any 360 will fit, some more out of the box than others. My main goal is to not cut anything up in the engine bay or have to weld, as I am not able to do either myself!

I also have a 68 fury with a 1978 360cui in it. It looks to me like they changed the whole frame or so since I am missing the sway bar and the mounting points for it...previous owner did this and idk for sure. If I do it, I would use a magnum engine, with my carbed 360 I only get between 9.5 and 10.7mpg around town if thats a concern for you! Im planning on efi when money allowes. I also have the idler arm hitting the downpipe, even tho it already has a dent for it in it, couple things to look out for!

I also have a 68 fury with a 1978 360cui in it. It looks to me like they changed the whole frame or so since I am missing the sway bar and the mounting points for it...previous owner did this and idk for sure. If I do it, I would use a magnum engine, with my carbed 360 I only get between 9.5 and 10.7mpg around town if thats a concern for you! Im planning on efi when money allowes. I also have the idler arm hitting the downpipe, even tho it already has a dent for it in it, couple things to look out for!

Very interesting...I wonder did your Fury maybe have a /6 before the 360? I really do not want to have to cut up the frame. Thanks for the info, hopefully someone else can confirm if any cutting is required for 318 to 360.

Very interesting...I wonder did your Fury maybe have a /6 before the 360? I really do not want to have to cut up the frame. Thanks for the info, hopefully someone else can confirm if any cutting is required for 318 to 360.

Originally came with a 318. Didnt know about the 360 until a month or so after I bought it. Had a lot of dirt,oil,grime on it so I couldnt see the engine numbers...

Originally came with a 318. Didnt know about the 360 until a month or so after I bought it. Had a lot of dirt,oil,grime on it so I couldnt see the engine numbers...

Darn, was hoping it was a straightforward swap.

The stub frame wont have to be touched, the small block LA engines all bolt up in the same fashion, the only differences being the mounts themselves for different types of cars.

The stub frame wont have to be touched, the small block LA engines all bolt up in the same fashion, the only differences being the mounts themselves for different types of cars.

Awesome, that was the mystery I was trying to clarify! Thank you!

I may have found a 340 that would be a great candidate as far as I am concerned! Will keep you all posted.

I am going tonight to check out a 340 from a '73 Cuda. Pulled and sat for 20 years but according to the seller it is stock, never been apart. He also has the trans with it, probably pick them up too if the price is right so I can freshen both the engine and trans up while i continue to enjoy the car for the rest of the year. He also mentioned a thermoquad carb, is that a good carb or should i upgrade to something newer?

Back