What's the $$Point of no Return??

65Coronet7165

Reaction score
I've been trying to sell my 67 Chrysler 300 'vert because of illness. It was up on Facebook for $25K since March with no bites. I've lowered the price to $20K now.
I bought the car for $12K in 2005 and have basically spared no expense making the car into the car I wanted it to be. I've got a running total somewhere; let's just say I've put at least $20K more into it. I've still got more I'd like to do.......TTI headers, Bergman steering box, new weather stripping...... but that alone is maybe $3K more, not including more than $1K in labor. Now I'm thinking it's just not worth it considering I can't sell it for what it's worth.
Of course I did pay. Too much when I bought the car; but I wanted it soon bad.
Guess I need a buyer who feels like I did when I bought the car.

In selling a vehicle, newer or older, you have to remember that "values" are related to a stock or near-stock vehicle ONLY. Past that, the buyer pool can dry up a bit. Certain things can need replacement due to age, so those things become "maintenance issues" which are just part of the deal. In some cases, upgrades (exhaust, steering, fuel system) can be done for similar money as just "repairs", so those upgrades can happen selectively, not all of them together. As the ultimate default value of "stock" or "upgraded" should always be in the mix. Of course, buying at a good price initially is always in the mix.

Many of the upgrades you mention can be good. For them to be "worth something" to an uninformed buyer, the buyer must know why they are better than stock or even needed in the first place.

Sorry that you are having to sell the car. By the same token, don't give it away unless that is the only option. Might consider other sales venues?

Respectfully,
CBODY67

I think Facebook marketplace or Craigslist are places where people seem to unload items and buyers are looking for bargains. I experienced this when I was moving a few years ago and had some very nice items for sale. I needed to get rid of some great stuff before the move and took what I could get.
I think when selling a car like our 300 convertibles, which have a loyal, but limited buyers pool (when new, only 2161 68 verts were sold) I think you need to advertise where the C body people are…
For Cbodiesonly with photos. I know guys in my car club are always on Hemmings.com looking for cars. That’s where I will start when I am ready To sell mine..here and Hemmings.

Firstly,
sorry to hear about your illness, life sucks sometimes!
Like everything else for example our neigbour decided to sell her property, she went to extremes to repair and beautify her house only to have the new buyer come in and rip everything out, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
You and I are relatively new to this site, the people on here have demonsteated a keen eye as to what value your car should command, that's why post #2 by Samplingman is requesting pics, inside, outside, underside and all cosmetics to firstly see if what you are asking is reasonable; if he didn't ask someone else would have!
Like you , I have put infinite countless hours into my cars making them better and more valuable but like CBODY67 says "values" what category does it fall in, 1, 2 or 3 from show to driver. I may think my cars are more valuable than others think due to all the hard work I put in, but it doesnt work that way .
I politly ask that you put forward some photos, you will get an honest opinion and fair judgment.
I have one question, have you kept all original parts you took off the car and are you selling these parts with the car?
I have a box for my Polara and a box for my Newport with all original parts taken off, respectivly going with the cars when sold.
Best of luck with your illness and the sale of your car.

PT

I'm guessing it's the white car listed on FB.
If it is I would suggest putting more details in the ad. Serious buyers want all the info they can get, and some don’t like to make phone calls on the initial contact. It also saves the seller time and aggravation answering the same questions over and over.
I’d lose the fancy breather and put the original back on it.
Other than that it looks like a nice clean car.
Unfortunately, in this hobby it’s easy to get upside down in one. Especially if you don’t get an absolute steal of a deal or have to do any work to it.
Good luck!

Thanks for the replies and advice. My mechanic took the pictures and posted them on Facebook. Yes, it's a white car with black top and black pinstripe. The breather Is original to the car. 67 440 TNT came with chrome valve covers and breather. And yes..,.. I've got all original parts that have been taken off....plus a bunch of spares. Also rebuildable core for other stuff. Everything works and has been working on the car for many years now.....except the clock.
I wanted my mechanic To post the pics here but so far has not done so.

Think of the value and what you spent this way. Spread the cost over the 18 years and you are less than $150 per month. There are a lot of other bad habits that cost more than that per month. And if you count the good times that you have had with it in that time, it is even a better value. I am not saying to give it away, but to just look at it differently. As they say, some of the expenses are water under the bridge. If the car is in good driving condition I wouldn’t throw any more improvements at it. If I think of my personal preference, the addition of some of the aftermarket additions would be no value to me. I like to rebuild the original items and would have to “undo” such adds.
If no rust and in good running condition you should find a buyer at a price both of you are happy with.

A C-body is not usually an investment, but a hobby. If you get some return then it’s a great hobby.

1967 Chrysler 300

Nice car. Listing needs to be here and in any one of the FB C body groups to be seen, it’s lost in Marketplace.

C1161D9B-4F81-403D-8039-79D15C6CC747.png
57775AD2-A81D-4ED1-A69E-1870155679AC.png
38298B4D-0BC6-43C9-9C29-725F5E876476.png
9D2C2FD7-821B-487E-8A06-959761F4C849.png
6E2EE5A0-22F3-4DFD-833A-45C5E73E9466.png

23F7D66D-F9EC-44A1-9EEE-C93695D947B3.png

41596F33-1575-4081-9944-276A94780948.png

EAA78B10-F5D5-4F8D-8C62-DDDAE4B18AAE.png

I would like to sell one of my two cars. Either the 79 300 or the 74 Monaco wagon. I think I have them reasonably priced and they are both good cars that even have working A/C. And while the FB Marketplace ads are getting lots of great comments there has been no real interest in buying from anyone. I even added that I might take a trade and still no offers. Luckily, I'm not in a position where I have to sell. The one place that looks like cars are selling for decent money is B.A.T. I may go with that option in the future and see what happens. Good luck to you!

I've been trying to sell my 67 Chrysler 300 'vert because of illness. It was up on Facebook for $25K since March with no bites. I've lowered the price to $20K now.
I bought the car for $12K in 2005 and have basically spared no expense making the car into the car I wanted it to be. I've got a running total somewhere; let's just say I've put at least $20K more into it. I've still got more I'd like to do.......TTI headers, Bergman steering box, new weather stripping...... but that alone is maybe $3K more, not including more than $1K in labor. Now I'm thinking it's just not worth it considering I can't sell it for what it's worth.
Of course I did pay. Too much when I bought the car; but I wanted it soon bad.
Guess I need a buyer who feels like I did when I bought the cars

I understand what you mean, I have over 20k into my 70 newport. Half that expense alone went into rebuilding the engine. I know if I ever try to sell I’ll be lucky to get $6,500 for the car. That is why I’m going to drive the wheels off of her before I ever need to and pay myself back with smiles per gallon. If time permits wait for an ”Arnie Cunningham” type of buyer who will spare no expense to have her.

Best of luck with the sale!

Thanks Sampling man that's my car!! Now that I think about it, that is a replacement breather. The. One on the car when I got it originally wasn't original either and fit worse then that one.
Yeah folks,. I never intended to sell the car, just keep it forever and make it the way I want it. I have justified the costs in my mind by spreading it out over my 18 years and 56,000 years of driving it. It's been a great car! Only broke down on the road 3 times in all those years and they were no biggies and AAA was always there for me.

Oh, now that pics are up, if anyone is interested, they can leave me a message here and I'll fill you in on any thing you need to know. I have original sticker, buyer's order, broadcast sheet, owner's manual, brochure and FSM. All receipts too.

Inflation is murdering people's pocket books. Very little discretionary funds out there.

Praying for your health and well being my friend. You may want to try posting an ad with Hemmings Motor News. Their print & digital issues reach people who are actively looking for a particular make and model to buy, not just kick the tires. That is a really nice looking 300 drop top that just might find a buyer through Hemmings. Stay strong & keep the Faith.

Back