Wheels on a Newport

Mopardik

Reaction score
I've been digging around on here for about a week now, garnering info about the Newport I just bought. As such, I know most on here are fans of either stock caps or older Mopar wheels and whitewall tires. Personally, although I do love the classic stock look of those, my tastes tend to run more towards customization. I am contemplating putting a set of wheels on mine, and just wanted some opinions. Now, let it be known that I am NOT going to turn this thing into a donk, or anything like that!:head_smack: I am going to keep them at 15" with some beefier rubber. It already has 225/75/15 fronts and 235/75/15's in back, and it looks like plenty of room to spare (at least in back). Not sure yet of the backspacing on the wheels that are on there, but I will check that before finalizing this plan. Thinking somewhere in the 225-235/75 on 6-7" in front and 245-265/70-75 on 7-8" in back. I'm basically going in a somewhat period correct custom direction here, and have found a few options that might fit the bill.

At first I thought maybe keeping these old Chrysler dog dish style caps and painting the wheels body color to show through that tiny bit outside the caps and keeping the whitewalls might look cool. Still toying with that idea. Also, some tru-spokes with whitewalls would fit the bill, but that may look a little too "lowrider". I'm kind of leaning toward some American Racing Hopsters now. Not sure about the 5 spoke designs on these cars overall, but have seen some on here with Magnums that look pretty darn good. And that rim has kind of a Halibrand look to it which fits in with the period pretty well.

Attached is a pic of those rims, and one of the car they'll be going on.

Anyway, looking for some ideas and honest opinions from you guys. Thanks!

1209562294hopster.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, on a slab, I only like stock covers or Magnum wheels with whitewalls. That said, those wheels in the pic you posted should look really nice on your car, especially with the aqua/blue color.

IMPOSSIBLE to give an honest opinion unless we can see the car too. The Cars stance, condition , color, all make up its personality

IMPOSSIBLE to give an honest opinion unless we can see the car too. The Cars stance, condition , color, all make up its personality

You are correct, sir! But I would have thought you'd have a good memory of what my car looked like, given how you chastised me for using it as a picnic table!:icon_wink:

Thanks Bryan. Yeah, I know I'm going against the grain of most guys on this site, but just was looking at different options. I'm kind of still up in the air on it at the moment.

I have also gone against the grain here, not only with wheels but also with lettered tires. Here's a couple of pictures at two of my kids weddings last year.

Original-072_zpsb46b3fbc.jpg

ErichandKellywedding135_zps78671989.jpg

I think 'verts can be allowed more leeway on wheels over tin roof cars.

< Sent from my tablet >

Man, that is one sweet lookin' ride, 300rag! I'm glad you posted those pics, because yours is almost the same color as mine and it really helps me with picturing a spoke design on it now.
Oh, and congrats to those kiddos!

Last edited:
I think those rims would look great too. Too bad there isn't some sort of computer program that you could install them digitally to see how they'd look before you commit...Stan.
300rag, God that car is nice!

I was just helping a brother out.

Your choice of wheels would'nt be bad. I personally am a torque thrust guy.

Very few C's look good without whitewalls and "stock" wheel combinations in my opinion.

Very few C's look good without whitewalls and "stock" wheel combinations in my opinion.

I totally agree with that assessment. The early slabs have the best chance of pulling off a good look with custom wheels.

It's not that. It's just that I know you with double entendres...

And, FWIW, it's Tork-thrusts.

Another vote for Torq Thrust (or the ones you posted would definitely look cool too).

Back