With or without vinyl top

Chrome58

Reaction score
A newbie question, no doubt.

But is there a difference on the body between a '70 Plymouth with vinyl top and one without ? In other words, if I remove the vinyl top, and then paint the car, do I have the same result as a car that came from the factory without one ?

Thanks.

You'll have some fairing work to do at the roof skin and rear quarter seam. They weren't finished to the quality of a non vinyl roof car.... and of course if you have any rust under the vinyl that'll all have to get fixed as it would have anyway. Other than that, you shouldn't have any issues.

As far as I know, the body is the same, the only difference might be in the chromed trim. But I don't know for sure since I'm a convertible freak.

As said by GJS no difference but the couple of trim pieces; I would delete them completely to have the proper smooth look, some prefer leaving them on without the Vinyl top which doesn't look that good IMHO, except if you'd go two tone maybe.

What the others stated above. If you're repainting the car anyhow, I'd clean out the quarter to roof seam anyhow. I had rust bubbling under the filler, which wouldn't have been caught had it not got to the point that the rust bubble pushed the filler up a little bit. Use all-metal filler for them when replacing the filler.

You'll also have to weld in the trim holes for the molding along the filler panel and quarter sides.

Some cars need vinyl
I know it's a matter of taste, anyhow ... But I'm quite on the fence for this subject.

The vinyl top is sooooo '70s, and can make a striking two tone combination.
On the other hand, I think the 2-door hardtops do look sleeker and meaner without one, giving a more "muscle car" look (if that's what you're after).

I don't have a good photo but if my blue 71 didn't have the vinyl it would have lost much of its pizzazz. She needs the white vinyl to pull off the classy look ....imho

attachment-13.jpeg

FWIW i don't get the disdain for factory vinyl tops or even whitewall tires for that matter. I think it's really the aftermarket padded tops and wide whites of the '70s that people really dislike. Oh and the gold trim too from back in the day.
Factory vinyl tops and ww.s were considered luxury options and imo really dressed up a car. The 2nd gen Chargers look naked without a V.T. imo. Other cars depend on the model and color.

FWIW i don't get the disdain for factory vinyl tops or even whitewall tires for that matter. I think it's really the aftermarket padded tops and wide whites of the '70s that people really dislike. Oh and the gold trim too from back in the day.
Factory vinyl tops and ww.s were considered luxury options and imo really dressed up a car. The 2nd gen Chargers look naked without a V.T. imo. Other cars depend on the model and color.
I agree with you. I remember when these cars were new. If you didn't get a vinyl top and white walls you were either an old fart or cheapskate. That's how I remember it. With that stigma it would shame people to "move up" to these lux items. But there were tons of people who loved these options. I being one of them. With the large dimensions of these cars I thinks it makes the look sleeker.

Id prefer not to have the vinyl . Some cars , some colors need them . Depends on options, color scheme and wheels of the car that determines weather is should have vinyl . AND just because it has vinyl doesnt make it right. It all has to flow well, which is why I posted my blue car . I cant see that car being attractive with a black vinyl top or without a vinyl top, Phil ordered it right.

Just gonna toss this out there.... You could also get the car as "two-tone", so you could paint the top in a complimentary color and leave the molding from the vinyl top in place.

P48.jpg

Thanks Big_John, I never knew two-tone was available on '70 Fury.
In fact, I think I never saw one.

Rarely ordered for sure as this was Long gone out of Fashion strarting with the Advent of the Vinyl tops around 1963, not counting the first Trials by Ford and Mercury in the early 50s. I'd prefer two toning over the Vinyl top anytime if you think you'd have to add some pizzaz to the car.

I never could relate to the Vinyl top Fashion personally, cause all I usually see is the recreation of a half baked remedy that was created back in a time where a stamped sheetmetal Roof couldn't be manufactured in mass production.

@Polara-Dave and Critter: you'll find the disagree button in the far right Corner, feel free to push it. :D

Last edited:
Still originality beats personal taste in my world, so I'd be looking for a non Vinyl top car in the first place. If an extremely nice low mileage original car with Vinyl top would cross my path and Appeal to me neverthless it would stay that way.

Rarely ordered for sure as this was Long gone out of Fashion strarting with the Advent of the Vinyl tops around 1963, not counting the first Trials by Ford and Mercury in the early 50s. I'd prefer two toning over the Vinyl top anytime if you think you'd have to add some pizzaz to the car.

I never could relate to the Vinyl top Fashion personally, cause all I usually see is the recreation of a half baked remedy that was created back in a time where a stamped sheetmetal Roof couldn't be manufactured in mass production.

@Polara-Dave and Critter: you'll find the disagree button in the far right Corner, feel free to push it. :D
I have seen the two toning on B-bodies and given the right combination, it's a nice look and an alternative to a vinyl top.

Having come of age in that era and appreciated these cars when they were brand new, the vinyl top looks natural to me. I was always of the opinion it was to show the "look" of a convertible. This was in an era when convertibles were still more expensive and not something that most people bought for their family cars.

It's funny to me... I never gave it a lot of thought. Some cars look good with the tops, some don't and that's always been my take on them. Once I started coming here, I never knew that some folks just plain hate them!

Even though I'm in Florida, I chose not to do this on my Lincoln. Didn't want to show up the neighbors in their Honda CUVs.

E-G-Classics-1440x946.jpg

My thought on vinyl tops.
Some cars have a roof line that flows into the 1/4 panels. A vinyl top on these cars breaks up the flow and changes the whole style. (could be good or bad).
Other cars have a "stand alone" type of roof with C pillars that look "attached" to the lower body. A vinyl top on this type of roof really enhances the look of these cars. JMHO.

Back