Working on a 400

Reassembled as much as I could, am waiting on the oil slinger. And now it's too cold to paint, will have to wait till next year. View attachment 235074
I suggest maybe install the timing cover. Eliminates the possibility of contamination entering. This would be a good time to fab up a new fuel line. Assembly looks good, nice and clean.

Blimpy... You wanna borrow my portable jet motor,, errr,, heater for your
garage so you can get some paint on that puppy....?

That’s one heck of a nice job your doing! If I knew the motor was that clean I would have asked for more! Haha! Just kidding.

Brian

Has anyone had luck finding a common spray paint that can be purchased locally and exactly matches the factory blue color?

I'll buy the expensive stuff if necessary, just thought I'd ask first.

Screenshot_20181210-203040.jpg

Napa didn't have it in stock but I can pick it up tomorrow

Picked up 2 cans for $15. Not bad for a quick scuff and spray, I'm pleased with the color. Thanks again for the tip Bigblockdodge.
20181214_073847.jpg

Anyone have a preferred method installing oil pan gaskets? Mine is cork with a thin piece of metal in the center.

Normally when I install some sort of cover I like to RTV the gasket to the cover, then coat the other side with grease. The idea being that if I need to remove the cover, it comes apart easy, plus most times it's easier to clean the old gasket from the cover.

Does that method sound good or are these big blocks notorious for needing lots of sealant?

Thanks Manny, for safe measure I used RTV on both sides of the gasket.

The oil slinger showed up so I was able to put the timing cover on.

20181214_162404.jpg

A helpful hint...after a cam/timing chain swap, if you spin the crank over with a wrench and the motor stops tight, it's not necessarily because of valve/piston interference.

Check the flexplate cover hole on the trans where the starter mounts. Squirrels may have dropped a walnut in there.

20181214_184829.jpg

Looks like I'm going to need to find a different oil pan.
Casting Numbers: Mopar Oil Pan Specifications 1961-1980
The "933" pan shown a few posts back (installed on big blocks from 74-78), must be a little different than the pan from a 72 big block, as it doesn't have enough clearance with the crossmember to set the engine mounts down onto the pads properly.
20181225_160740.jpg

Had a fun time trying to shoehorn it in even though things didn't go very smoothly...my helper did her best to stay interested lol :D
20181225_140513.jpg
20181225_133839.jpg
20181225_141237.jpg
20181225_142246.jpg
20181225_153230.jpg
20181225_155034.jpg

Looks like I'm going to need to find a different oil pan.
I wondered that when I saw the picture. I bought three extra pans last year, I hope one works for my needs, they are all a little beat up, but nothing bad. PM me if you can't find one nearby.

So I'm looking around for options. This 400 is a 1974 model. It's pan (933) interferes with the crossmember on a 1972 stub frame.

If l end up finding a 187 or 699 pan, does anyone know if the 74-78 oil pickup tube will work with it?

Has anyone had success using a generic big block pan (from Amazon/eBay etc) in a fuselage vehicle?

I wouldn't be opposed to "massaging" another 933 pan that already has dents/dings, but I'm not willing to do that to mine, it's almost perfect.

I've got a request in with my Unkle Xenon, and Scott if you could text me that would be great.

Im not looking for a perfect or NOS example, weathered but serviceable is fine. If anyone else has a decent used 187/699 pan you're willing to part with, please drop a PM.

Working on a 400??
At first i thought of this kind of 400...
Dodge 400 015.JPG

Anyways,went through the thread and great job!! Another big wagon gets to live on!!

Haha thanks cbarge, I've owned a lot of FWD Mopars, but never a 400!
My wife and I had the opportunity to meet up with our Unkle Xenon yesterday. It was an absolute blast talking about the old days and discussing future projects. He hooked us up with the oil pan needed for this 400 installation...a super huge thank you for helping us out with such short notice :thankyou:
Here's how it's coming along so far.
20181230_150533.jpg
20181231_122431_001.jpg

Jezze freakin' crap..!!
Don't you have that painted and ON the motor yet....

BTW, tell da wifey dem cookies is yummy and
I WANT MORE,, dammit........................... !

The primer is drying as we speak haha! Should be able to get it painted this evening so it can dry overnight. The weather looks like it will cooperate tomorrow, so I intend to swap the pan and get the drivetrain secured in place. Will absolutely bring more cookies next time...let us know which ones you liked best :thumbsup:

The edible cookies were the best...
The ones with cyanide really were not that good...

Back