WANTED WTB this 66 300 , is it worth the price ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't hear any engine knock ... are you sure?

Yes it takes a trained ear, just had a re-listen. Download the video, play it in a good video player at full volume with a set of good headphones, set the jumpback to 5 to 7 seconds and just as the camera approaches the side of the hood with the engine coming into view it is the loudest, as the video/camera comes around to the front of the engine to the right side, do a jumpback to re-listen several times to familiarize yourself with the 'Printing press' sound.

Alternator is new, A/C is not engaged, not a exhaust leak, P/S? maybe, I'm not familiar with that type of pump but P/S is more of a whirry noise, not a tappet 'tick' so I would suspect a conrod bearing on the left side of engine as the sound diminishes as the camera pans to the right side. deffo bring a stethoscope or a very large screwdriver if you do a eyes on inspection.

BTW it's a jackass video with a ear busting intro/exit (flashy) whizbang video editor from a dealer so what can you expect. A good video of a running engine should be a stationary shot of at least 60 seconds (each side) with someone gradually increasing engine rpm for those 60 seconds. After that if you want some WOW, a couple of WOT floorboard stomps to thrill the kiddies! Buyer beware on this one.

Got the dealer to consider a 19k offer on this 66 300. The car is across country and so far all I can do is ask him questions, inspect the car from a video and from the pictures posted. Im also planning on giving him a call one last time before flying out there to look at the car.

But so far I'm noticing these things. The car is painted and theres a big black stripe down through middle , which could mean rust repair .

The car is a 440 big block from California , 66, looks like the interior was completelyy redone, trim is all original, new paint and possible engine rebuild

Im just looking for opinions and wondering if this car is worth taking a look at , not so much if I "should buy it".

But so far these are the things Ive noticed from pics.

Orange peel maybe bondo-ed
View attachment 202440

scratched chrome trim
View attachment 202441

and possibly rusted through frame ...not sure if those are suppose to be there

View attachment 202442

View attachment 202443

View attachment 202436

View attachment 202437

View attachment 202438

View attachment 202439

heres a video of the motor runnin

I don't understand why you would even consider buying this car - especially at such a grossly inflated price. And I doubt it is or was ever a California car.

If you really want a nice '66 300, here is a link to the best '66 I've ever seen:

For Sale - 1966 Chrysler 300 2DR

I have personally seen and inspected this car a couple of times.

Last edited:
It does have the Cal black plate, but the 847 Illinois area code for the consignor does seem fishy.

AND. . . A Cali car would not have the rust in the frame this car has, unless it spent its entire life down at Pizmo Beach.

Last edited:
AND. . . I Cali car would not have the rust in the frame this car has, unless it spent its entire life down at Pizmo Beach.
If it was a beach car it would have surface rust, not frame rust. I bought a '79 Cordoba that spent its life in Long Beach. The surface had a number of bad places, including a hole in the hood. (I was able to find another in the same color in a yard in Bakersfield!!) But I could have eaten dinner on the undercarriage.

If it was a beach car it would have surface rust, not frame rust. I bought a '79 Cordoba that spent its life in Long Beach. The surface had a number of bad places, including a hole in the hood. (I was able to find another in the same color in a yard in Bakersfield!!) But I could have eaten dinner on the undercarriage.

Well. . . There ya go. . .

I don't understand why you would even consider buying this car - especially at such a grossly inflated price. And I doubt it is or was ever a California car.

If you really want a nice '66 300, here is a link to the best '66 I've ever seen:

First off , when I made the post ... I was only considering taking a look since the guy changed the price (I was going to call him one more time, go into better detail then , do an inspection in person). I really don't think the car is THAT bad ...but were all assuming its bad. The price is definitely too high, I think we can all agree on that.

I saw the 2dr you posted, I agree it looks amazing. Not sure how the hell id afford that though .. I don't think id want to buy something that restored though , I like to work ...

It has buckets!

First off , when I made the post ... I was only considering taking a look since the guy changed the price (I was going to call him one more time, go into better detail then , do an inspection in person). I really don't think the car is THAT bad ...but were all assuming its bad. The price is definitely too high, I think we can all agree on that.

I saw the 2dr you posted, I agree it looks amazing. Not sure how the hell id afford that though .. I don't think id want to buy something that restored though , I like to work ...

I hear ya. There is a lot of satisfaction to be had working on and improving these C-Bodies. However, I figured that since you were already entertaining the idea of a $19K car, you could probably get a somewhat similar deal on the car I mentioned. Even the best cars require some work to improve and maintain them. . . I'll keep an ear to ground for ya.

If I were going to buy a 66 300, I'd be busting open every last bank I had for this one. It's not even so much that it's "perfectly" what I'd want in a 66, it's just gorgeous in it's own right and full of differences that would be a pleasure to get used to... I say this only because I have a 67 Monaco that is perfectly everything I wanted in a 67 Monaco and, while not a sh**box by any stretch, is starting to reveal just how in depth a restoration will be needed.

Another ready to roll yet unrestored:
1968 CHRYSLER 300
I've not personally seen this one though I'm kind of itching to. If I had 20K and enough left for a tank of gas, maintenance, and new tires I'd be on this like flies on stank.

I hear ya. There is a lot of satisfaction to be had working on and improving these C-Bodies. However, I figured that since you were already entertaining the idea of a $19K car, you could probably get a somewhat similar deal on the car I mentioned. Even the best cars require some work to improve and maintain them. . . I'll keep an ear to ground for ya.

Thanks, you're right every car eventually needs work...I'm definitely expecting to work on my car.

Well, I'm still considering the car. Ill see if the guy will go lower..
I don't think anybody on here has seen the interior. The interior id say is pretty much fully restored... The paint is the worst part about the car especially the black, I don't think that paint is quality neither is the labor..you can just see it from the video.

heres a-lot more photos of the car
1966 Chrysler 300 -ORIGINAL BLACK PLATE CALIFORNIA CLASSIC- SEE VIDEO Stock # 66440KFCV for sale near Mundelein, IL | IL Chrysler Dealer

I was hoping to get feedback on hearing the engine run, not many people commented on that.

Thanks, you're right every car eventually needs work...I'm definitely expecting to work on my car.

Well, I'm still considering the car. Ill see if the guy will go lower..
I don't think anybody on here has seen the interior. The interior id say is pretty much fully restored... The paint is the worst part about the car especially the black, I don't think that paint is quality neither is the labor..you can just see it from the video.

heres a-lot more photos of the car
1966 Chrysler 300 -ORIGINAL BLACK PLATE CALIFORNIA CLASSIC- SEE VIDEO Stock # 66440KFCV for sale near Mundelein, IL | IL Chrysler Dealer

I was hoping to get feedback on hearing the engine run, not many people commented on that.
The moving shot of the engine running does not leave much to comment on. When I bought my Monaco, I requested a minute stationary on each side of the engine, a minute head on and a minute at the exhaust. Moving a camera around a running car doesn't give enough steadiness to hear any potential issues... someone commented here about a tick or a knock ... I didn't pick up on that at all.

Last edited:
If I read the certicard correctly, CM23G, the car is an original 383 car. That's what I was wondering.

Gee yaa think these tailpipes would be rattling on the bumper? Sloppy work.

TAILPIPE.001.jpg

TAILPIPE.002.jpg

Front end (sway bar area) and the lame attempt to clean the underside of the car don't represent a 20k car IMHO.

(edit) Oh and IIRC there is in the FSM clearance measurements for the exhaust right?

$19K is more than all the beans for it. It's got some "tricks" like the plastic dual sport mirrors, the Magnum wheels, two tone, etc. There's no sound in the engine from what I can see on the video. The engine's got some performance mods - hence some noises, but I hear no lower end noise. The paint isn't bad, but not great. The body work (alignment/fitment and finish) are not really good. IMO it's a solid $10-12K car. Might be more if there's mechanical work that has been done. Might be a little less if there's nothing done.

Yes it takes a trained ear, just had a re-listen. Download the video, play it in a good video player at full volume with a set of good headphones, set the jumpback to 5 to 7 seconds and just as the camera approaches the side of the hood with the engine coming into view it is the loudest, as the video/camera comes around to the front of the engine to the right side, do a jumpback to re-listen several times to familiarize yourself with the 'Printing press' sound.

Alternator is new, A/C is not engaged, not a exhaust leak, P/S? maybe, I'm not familiar with that type of pump but P/S is more of a whirry noise, not a tappet 'tick' so I would suspect a conrod bearing on the left side of engine as the sound diminishes as the camera pans to the right side. deffo bring a stethoscope or a very large screwdriver if you do a eyes on inspection.

BTW it's a jackass video with a ear busting intro/exit (flashy) whizbang video editor from a dealer so what can you expect. A good video of a running engine should be a stationary shot of at least 60 seconds (each side) with someone gradually increasing engine rpm for those 60 seconds. After that if you want some WOW, a couple of WOT floorboard stomps to thrill the kiddies! Buyer beware on this one.
I listened to it a few times, didn't download it or anything, just pushed an earbud tight into my ear.

I hear something also, when camera is at the PS pump area, and it sounds a little like the noise you hear from a gear pump, I would've sworn that sound was a closeup of the PS pump with the cap off, but this is at a distance with the cap on, so I dunno. (the whirring noise, if it was to make it, would happen more when the wheels are turned?)

I hear a louder noise when near the alternator, and it sounds like a belt-drive bearing to me.

I'm not hearing engine noise, but I'm not saying I'm the authority either.

Aside from the price, this car is growing on me more than when I first saw it. It's a little off our beaten path with the colors, but it adds a little 70s-80s RollsRoyce mystique to it. Kinda classy, kinda custom.

But WAY overpriced.

Thanks all I really appreciate the advice and time taking.

I think I'm going for this car.
1965 Chrysler 300 2 Door Coupe

Still trying to find out if the motor turns over.
I think it looks solid enough to consider .
I'm hoping if it turns out to be a good one, I can have it painted a nice black redo the engine bay, rebuild the motor and trans , brakes and suspension and rehopeslotr the interior and be good to go!!!

I'd like to have the old school original frost turquoise but not sure if that would look good with the bucket seats...Also don't want to take a chance on the body shop getting the color wrong, so I think black is the safe way to go

If anyone is selling a bumper pm . Or the rear faceplate between the headlights for the 300

Thanks all I really appreciate the advice and time taking.

I think I'm going for this car.
1965 Chrysler 300 2 Door Coupe

Still trying to find out if the motor turns over.
I think it looks solid enough to consider .
I'm hoping if it turns out to be a good one, I can have it painted a nice black redo the engine bay, rebuild the motor and trans , brakes and suspension and rehopeslotr the interior and be good to go!!!

If anyone is selling a bumper pm . Or the rear faceplate between the headlights for the 300
I'd definitely check that one out. Lots of work to do but at that price, if it's solid and running ...

I listened to it a few times, didn't download it or anything, just pushed an earbud tight into my ear.

I hear something also, when camera is at the PS pump area, and it sounds a little like the noise you hear from a gear pump, I would've sworn that sound was a closeup of the PS pump with the cap off, but this is at a distance with the cap on, so I dunno. (the whirring noise, if it was to make it, would happen more when the wheels are turned?)

I hear a louder noise when near the alternator, and it sounds like a belt-drive bearing to me.

I'm not hearing engine noise, but I'm not saying I'm the authority either.

Aside from the price, this car is growing on me more than when I first saw it. It's a little off our beaten path with the colors, but it adds a little 70s-80s RollsRoyce mystique to it. Kinda classy, kinda custom.

But WAY overpriced.
It's kind of cool. I think the price and color are just the really off putting aspects for every one here. Plus the over sized wheels ...

I heard the belt noise yours talking about too . But that's something that you could take note of then verify in person

I'd definitely check that one out. Lots of work to do but at that price, if it's solid and running ...
Little worried about parts. But doesnt seem like it needs to many. The biggest issue is that dent on tbe rear , if the chassis is bent the headlights won't ever be able to be straight

But it looks like they just got pushed a little should be fineww

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back