‘67 Dodge Monaco Lighting Issue - help please?

DJAstral

Reaction score
272DFD28-505E-49F3-AB78-435920CD2366.jpeg
Hi, I’ve had a ongoing issue with my headlights failing, even after changing the floor switch as it happens mostly when I try & switch to high beam. (I’d already replaced the outer low beams with upgrade H4 Blue Halogens when I got the car as one sealed beam wasn't working)

I’m now suspecting the dash headlamp toggle switch - which are really expensive & rare... So, I’ve now ordered a very reasonably priced ‘69 c body rocker type switch to see if it works (and also one of those aftermarket upgrade wiring kits with extra relays & goes via battery)
It’s a NOS aftermarket ‘SL-68’ rocker switch for ‘69 Monacos etc. onwards which ‘Replaces 2947763 and 2864466’.... hope it works ... I can’t justify/afford the prices people are asking for the proper original toggle switch 2809045 (Older 2771175).
Anybody know if it’ll do the job pls or got any advice? I’d really appreciate it.

Is there a relay somewhere for the high beams? If it is the switch, I should have an aftermarket replacement that looks just like the original that I'd sell for $70 + shipping.

Check the bulkhead connector also, I had a very similar issue on my car and found the issue there with corroded connections.

Make sure the headlight ground wire has good connection.
Located somewhere on the rad core support.
I will check to see if I have a 67-68 headlight switch..

Checking all of the wiring items mentioned above is good to do, for general principles, due to the vehicle's age. BUT the headlights are protected by a circuit breaker, usually in the headlight switch, so that if an overload happens, the lights can come back on when things cool down. With your aftermarket lights, that might be an issue. Possibly an issue which the relay/wiring hit might address and fix.

For best results, make SURE all of the new wires and connectors are AT LEAST to OEM quality levels and specs. "Mickey Mouse" wiring gauges and flimsy connectors can sabotage the best-designed wiring harnesses, by observation and from my own experiences.

The effectiveness of headlights has more to do with the BEAM PATTERN, rather than "color" of the light--period. A lower wattage light with a great beam pattern, for better down-the-road visibility (as prior E-code headlights) can do better than a higher wattage light (of any color) with a beam pattern (when correctly aimed) that ends 50 feet in front of the vehicle. "Efficiency" is the operative orientation, not just wattage or type of bulb. We tend to get suckered-in when there is a lot of light right in front of the front bumper area, rather than being able to see 500 ft down the road at night with less light in front of the front bumper area, in a more consistent light pattern.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

View attachment 237513 Hi, I’ve had a ongoing issue with my headlights failing, even after changing the floor switch as it happens mostly when I try & switch to high beam. (I’d already replaced the outer low beams with upgrade H4 Blue Halogens when I got the car as one sealed beam wasn't working)

I’m now suspecting the dash headlamp toggle switch - which are really expensive & rare... So, I’ve now ordered a very reasonably priced ‘69 c body rocker type switch to see if it works (and also one of those aftermarket upgrade wiring kits with extra relays & goes via battery)
It’s a NOS aftermarket ‘SL-68’ rocker switch for ‘69 Monacos etc. onwards which ‘Replaces 2947763 and 2864466’.... hope it works ... I can’t justify/afford the prices people are asking for the proper original toggle switch 2809045 (Older 2771175).
Anybody know if it’ll do the job pls or got any advice? I’d really appreciate it.
View attachment 237513 Hi, I’ve had a ongoing issue with my headlights failing, even after changing the floor switch as it happens mostly when I try & switch to high beam. (I’d already replaced the outer low beams with upgrade H4 Blue Halogens when I got the car as one sealed beam wasn't working)

Good Morning C-Body Brother! Heres a product that has helped my shop tremendously www.ClassicCarWiring.com (917-861-9193) This complete wiring diagram is color coded just like your wiring! You can tell what circuit your looking at by the correct color of the cars wiring! Now with your circuit tester is easy to trace your circuitry.

Is there a relay somewhere for the high beams? If it is the switch, I should have an aftermarket replacement that looks just like the original that I'd sell for $70 + shipping.

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me on this - I'm not sure where the relay(s) are but there is a circuit breaker within the toggle switch itself I believe. I'm based in Scotland - postcode TD11 3LJ.

Check the bulkhead connector also, I had a very similar issue on my car and found the issue there with corroded connections.
Hi there, thanks for getting back to me - I've taken the bulkhead connectors off & cleaned them up, they were quite dirty with surface corrosion, so definitely needed doing.

Checking all of the wiring items mentioned above is good to do, for general principles, due to the vehicle's age. BUT the headlights are protected by a circuit breaker, usually in the headlight switch, so that if an overload happens, the lights can come back on when things cool down. With your aftermarket lights, that might be an issue. Possibly an issue which the relay/wiring hit might address and fix.

For best results, make SURE all of the new wires and connectors are AT LEAST to OEM quality levels and specs. "Mickey Mouse" wiring gauges and flimsy connectors can sabotage the best-designed wiring harnesses, by observation and from my own experiences.

The effectiveness of headlights has more to do with the BEAM PATTERN, rather than "color" of the light--period. A lower wattage light with a great beam pattern, for better down-the-road visibility (as prior E-code headlights) can do better than a higher wattage light (of any color) with a beam pattern (when correctly aimed) that ends 50 feet in front of the vehicle. "Efficiency" is the operative orientation, not just wattage or type of bulb. We tend to get suckered-in when there is a lot of light right in front of the front bumper area, rather than being able to see 500 ft down the road at night with less light in front of the front bumper area, in a more consistent light pattern.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Really appreciate that advice thank you - the only bulbs I can see that will fit the original connectors are H4 Halogen type - I'd be happy with some older style bulbs, I agree the H4s I've put in might well be causing the issue, any ideas about part number for old style low amp draw that would have the same 3 pin fitment please?

Good Morning C-Body Brother! Heres a product that has helped my shop tremendously www.ClassicCarWiring.com (917-861-9193) This complete wiring diagram is color coded just like your wiring! You can tell what circuit your looking at by the correct color of the cars wiring! Now with your circuit tester is easy to trace your circuitry.
Hi there - thanks for that, very useful.

Really appreciate that advice thank you - the only bulbs I can see that will fit the original connectors are H4 Halogen type - I'd be happy with some older style bulbs, I agree the H4s I've put in might well be causing the issue, any ideas about part number for old style low amp draw that would have the same 3 pin fitment please?

The current sealed beams are NOT the same as what came with the car. They now have a more European (sharper upper cut-off) beam pattern than the older sealed beams did. Plus, they are halogen now rather than what they used to be. You can still get them, just not everywhere in auto supply or discount stores.

I've had H4 E-code (started out with Cibie, then Cibie Z-beams, then SEV-Marchal) headlights in my '77 Camaro for years. No issues. Replacing the stock sealed beams, I had to adjust them "up" from where the sealed beam adjustment was. I pretty much aimed them "by eye". Keep the lh lateral adjustment so it just lights up the center pavement markings, in that lane to keep it out of oncoming drivers' eyes. Then set the vertical such that when driving on a flat bridge, the main beam was parallel to the road surface, then crank it down 1/2 turn for good measure . . . on low beam. ALSO, not how the beam pattern "hits" on the car in front of you at a red light. It should be low enough to stay out of that car's rear view mirrors when pulling up behind it!

With a 4-light system, use the same rules for low beam aim, when on high beam, all four of the "hot spots" should be side-by-side, so to speak, so the high beams should match the low beams on "high", when aimed as I mentioned.

I came by my adjustments by trial and error, as I did a lot of night driving in that car and wanted to utilize the better "down the road" lighting of the E-code lights.

The reason the non-sealed beams were not legal is that the reflector can degrade from moisture accumulation, over time. Which is why I had to replace the lights every so often. Using the normal H4 bulbs, too. Initially, they were street-legal for motorcycles only, in the USA. When more USA cars started to use composite headlights with replaceable bulbs, then the non-sealed beam lights seemed to be quietly approved.

The ones I have all have had a rubber boot that slid over the bulb, from the back, to weather seal the bulb/headlight interface. The modern OEM composite lights have bulbs with a built-in "weather-pak"multi-lip seal around their circumference.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I did determine that the 3-prong connectors could get warm when the lights are on. This is why the quality (gauge AND insulation) of the headlight pigtails is important, should you ever need to replace them. There are some cheap/junky pigtails out there, by observation!

The H4 bulbs will draw more power. The headlamp plug n play harness with relays will work just fine with the newer bulbs and will take the load away from the foot and main headlamp switches.
Putco P230004HW is what I had installed in many Mopars without any lighting issues.
upload_2018-12-18_18-46-6.jpeg

I agree it is important to align the H4's for optimum lighting.
newfie 2016 300 lites 157.JPG

Success! Many thanks to everyone for their advice which has lead to me solving my ongoing lighting problems and a special thank you to cbarge who answered all my PMs and even sent me the hard to find headlight toggle switch all the way over to here in Scotland.
I cleaned earths, & took time to clean all the bulkhead connectors, fitted a very cheap H4 relay kit from eBay and at last night driving is possible, even the instruments are now brighter and a bit more accurate.
I’m now able to drive at night now without being plunged into total darkness when switching to high beam on our twisty, narrow Scottish Borders roads.
What a great community this is & I hope I may be of as much help in the future as you guys have been to me.
FF1BBC2C-F831-450F-8BFD-D9AD67F252DA.jpeg
ADDA7681-9450-4BE0-A920-042080ED9B34.jpeg

Thanks for the UPdate! Glad it's all better!

Happy NEW YEAR!
CBODY67

Yer welcome!
The switch was a leftover from the BoaB restoration and it did not fit my car.
My Christmas gift to you.
After handling so many other Mopars with electrical issues I am more than happy to help out.
Glad you got her sorted out.
Good lighting at night is critical especially when you are driving on the wrong side of the road,LOL hahaha! :steering:

Back