1966 Polara 500 Ragtop

Sorry for your loss.
They are family members,so i have empathy for you my friend
We have 6 at home and it is just a matter of time for the oldest ones to part ways.

@LocuMob , @azblackhemi , @cbarge
Thanks for the condolences and kind thoughts. Our dogs are like our kids. We gave her our best, and in the end, learned some things to be looking out for in our surviving pup. Perhaps we can stave the inevitable off just a bit longer. We'd hope to get Sandy into the spring so she could enjoy some top down time with us. She was absolutely enthralled by the view from the rear seat!
There's definitely a bunch of great people on this site. I hope to develop some rapport with more of you as time passes.

@bluefury361
I felt bad when your cat passed. I thought about that as Sandy got worse and wished she would go as quietly.

Would you feel any less envious if I told the A/C doesn't work? I believe the front compressor seal leaked all the freon out. I have figure out a way to remove it for repair without rendering The car inoperable

Thanks always for the kind compliments on Mz. Ruby. Perhaps we'll end up parking next to each other on some weekend. Theresa and I would love going to the Perlou (sp) in the spring.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
It was a year ago on the 22nd (which was a Friday) that we brought our Polara home. She wasn't Mz. Ruby yet, just an old Mopar that needed a lot of attention.
Thanks to the efforts of our mechanic Jim Sams and myself, she became driveable and enjoyable for all of us.
While Sandy's passing has dampened our enthusiasm a bit, we look forward to spring and the opportunity be top down and cruising.
Again, thanks for viewing my thread, and your kind thoughts.

It has been a mild weekend so far in Okie-land so I got Mz. Ruby out of storage yesterday. Today met some friends and took the family out for a treat at Andy's Custard.
Things were a bit different without our Sandy but we got through and enjoyed some fellowship and dessert.

89175986_2873022442753771_2246574822760906752_n.jpg

[QUOTE="Dsertdog,

Would you feel any less envious if I told the A/C doesn't work? I believe the front compressor seal leaked all the freon out. I have figure out a way to remove it for repair without rendering The car inoperableQUOTE]

[QUOTE="Dsertdog
Would you feel any less envious if I told the A/C doesn't work? I believe the front compressor seal leaked all the freon out. I have figure out a way to remove it for repair without rendering The car inoperableQUOTE]

I'm suppost to feel bad? At least your A/C can be made to work..... :poke:

I'm suppost to feel bad? At least your A/C can be made to work..... :poke:[/QUOTE]

Yeah you got me there sir!:)

I must tell you that the floor vents were a Godsend last summer. I forgot how good those work at throwing air!

@bluefury361 If it were your car, would you fix the the RV2 or go with a newer Sanden propelled system like TXDon did in his '66 wagon?

Removed the seat backs and tried re dyeing the carpet inserts. It's an improvement. Also worked out most of the largest dent in the seat trim
000_0008[1].JPG

So...
I was placed on unpaid leave April 1st. No joke. No stimulus check and waiting for unemployment, of which there's a back log of applicants.
The alternator was removed to have it rebuilt but the rebuilder decided to close shop due to the china virus, So I ordered in a Mexican rebuilt. It's sitting in the parts store, awaiting some extra money.
I built and installed a shunt wire to reduce the current through the Ammeter wiring. I know that it works but the alternator still showed symptoms having a weak diode(s)
Then I removed the brackets from the replacement bumper, saving about half of the bumper bolts.
At least my workbench is clean...

So...
I was placed on unpaid leave April 1st. No joke. No stimulus check and waiting for unemployment, of which there's a back log of applicants.
The alternator was removed to have it rebuilt but the rebuilder decided to close shop due to the china virus, So I ordered in a Mexican rebuilt. It's sitting in the parts store, awaiting some extra money.
I built and installed a shunt wire to reduce the current through the Ammeter wiring. I know that it works but the alternator still showed symptoms having a weak diode(s)
Then I removed the brackets from the replacement bumper, saving about half of the bumper bolts.
At least my workbench is clean...
Sorry to hear about the lay-off
Does give you time for the Polara...

Sorry to hear about the lay-off
Does give you time for the Polara...
A wise old "car guy" once told me that when you build a car you need time and money, and which ever one you don't have you'll need 10 times the other. He was right!
I have lots of time but no money to buy the parts needed where the Polara is concerned.

So I'm cleaning...
A large part of the cleaning process is finishing all the unfinished projects that are laying around. Stuff that should have been finished years ago.

One is a model kit of a 2006 Charger which matches the one my lady drives. It's taken so long because almost every part has to be file fitted into place and some parts got ruined. It's a good thing I bought a spare kit.

I have an HO scale model railroad that needs attention. I have most of the trackage and buildings to finish roughing it in. And a couple of buildings to be assembled

The bathroom needs a final sanding so I can prime and paint it.

Last edited:
A wise old "car guy" once told me that when you build a car you need time and money, and which ever one you don't have you'll need 10 times the other. He was right!
I have lots of time but no money to buy the parts needed where the Polara is concerned.

So I'm cleaning...
A large part of the cleaning process is finishing all the unfinished projects that are laying around. Stuff that should have been finished years ago.

One is a model kit of a 2006 Charger which matches the one my lady drives. It's taken so long because almost every part has to be file fitted into place and some parts got ruined. It's a good thing I bought a spare kit.

I have an HO scale model railroad that needs attention. I have most of the trackage and buildings to finish roughing it in. And a couple of buildings to be assembled

The bathroom needs a final sanding so I can prime and paint it.
That is the only good thing that can be said about this virus, you have the time to work on your projects. Being retired I am a whole lot luckier than the ones laid off right now. My son is lucky also, he works from home anyway, so except for his kids being home he is doing good, my daughter on the other hand is not doing well. Seems the lovely state of Illinois is taking they sweet time on getting her unemployment out. Fellow members, stay safe and well.

That is the only good thing that can be said about this virus, you have the time to work on your projects. Being retired I am a whole lot luckier than the ones laid off right now. My son is lucky also, he works from home anyway, so except for his kids being home he is doing good, my daughter on the other hand is not doing well. Seems the lovely state of Illinois is taking they sweet time on getting her unemployment out. Fellow members, stay safe and well.

Best of everything to you as well.

I'm done for the evening. Tried to test fit the model Charger together and nothing worked. Ended up carving off the front of the dash to slide up in the windshield so the interior will go in. Still a no go. Because of that ill fitted mess, the frame pan assembly doesn't fit.
You'd think I was working on a real Mopar.

Well, the Charger model is assembled. I fought this build just like replacing something on the real one...only building the model took over 3 years.
I hated working on it, but I can check this project off the list.
000_0022[1].JPG
000_0023[1].JPG

Before I got put on leave, I ordered in a Mopar "battery kit" that @HWYCRZR had used. It took about 3 weeks to get from France(?).

So last week I cleaned my battery and put the details on...
000_0024[1].JPG

Still driving it....went to a picnic gtg with friends. Park facilities were closed so we just hung out and had a picnic lunch. It was the perfect day for a top down cruise. Upper 80's low humidity and a slight breeze!
95810727_2812814338767731_1766735475814432768_n.jpg

Back