SOLD 1969 15" MoPar Kelsey Hayes Cast Road wheels - complete, original set. Unrestored !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that Cragars were king. Look how odd those recall wheels looked, from a 1969 perspective...
You wanna lose you job grabbing those things off the scrap pile? Good question!! :eek:z_hemi_spare:

Plus.....young mechanics or employees probably were digging hot A, B, and E body cars back in the day as I did! Back in the day........I couldn't even identify Chrysler C's or an Imperial. Those were old fart cars!!!

And eventually you came around.........eventually.

Not everyone was a young mechanic.... While at the dealership I worked at in 83/84 the mechanics there wouldn't have been all that young in 68. I was 17 then, and digging the boats more than anything else.
Not everyone looks at safety the way you do Bob. I certainly don't panic because my tires are six years old where you appear to.
The way I understand it from years of articles, these weren't exactly falling off of cars. And I certainly wouldn't be afraid to bolt them on now

MI, the ad has been on Detroit Craigslist off and on for a year. I'll see if I can find it.

I see you found it and I never looked at the ad to see he was looking for sbp.
No. But perhaps I should find that guy.... :sSig_thanks: Are you talking MI or NY ?

And eventually you came around.........eventually.

Not everyone was a young mechanic.... While at the dealership I worked at in 83/84 the mechanics there wouldn't have been all that young in 68. I was 17 then, and digging the boats more than anything else.
Not everyone looks at safety the way you do Bob. I certainly don't panic because my tires are six years old where you appear to.
The way I understand it from years of articles, these weren't exactly falling off of cars. And I certainly wouldn't be afraid to bolt them on now

I wouldn't be afraid to run on those wheels today. I would definitely have to torque them to specs and visually check them before getting in the car.....daily.

I wouldn't be afraid to run on those wheels today. I would definitely have to torque them to specs and visually check them before getting in the car.....daily.
Daily? Everyday? Nonsense, that's being extremely cautious and in a sense, afraid.
I may check them off and on , on occasion but after the obvious maybe never again

Interesting speculation in that first link above.

The center cap with the pointed middle never was released for production. ALL wheels used the same slightly raised center, including the Darts and Barracudas. Parts books list the '130' part number for both large & small b.c.

The fact is that Kelsey did keep making the wheels with chromed outer rims because Chrysler owned the trim ring. That trim ring was only used on the cast road wheel, hence extremely rare to find today. Guys will use C body rings instead, but they don't have the proper curve to look correct.

Also - the Kelsey specific released wheels, made after late August,1968, have 10 rivets instead of 15, holding the cast section to the outer rim, unlike the OEM MoPar wheels. I'd think the OEM ones would have met more stringent standards, because of those 5 extra rivets.

I think if i wanted to have wheels like this on my car, I would simply fork out the less than $2K for repops that have no issues.

Another product bulletin on the subject.

wheel recall 001 (Large).jpg

I think if i wanted to have wheels like this on my car, I would simply fork out the less than $2K for repops that have no issues.
And how do you know that since the OEM standards were higher back in the day??
What tests do they run on the repops?? Do they invest hundreds of thousands in testing the wheels?

We can only speculate on the testing that found the problem but it wouldn't surprise me if that issue didn't rear its ugly head on the proving groundz 2 1/2 mile oval while doing 500 miles worth of laps in more then one 8 hour shift. Lemme yank 300GUY's chain and see what he might know. He did those laps for 33 yearz

We can only speculate on the testing that found the problem but it wouldn't surprise me if that issue didn't rear its ugly head on the proving groundz 2 1/2 mile oval while doing 500 miles worth of laps in more then one 8 hour shift. Lemme yank 300GUY's chain and see what he might know. He did those laps for 33 yearz

Hello C Bodies,
Does anyone know where to get a set of center caps for a 70 Polara?
Ruger

Hello C Bodies,
Does anyone know where to get a set of center caps for a 70 Polara?
Ruger

You want the early centers as shown below. These are not reproduced and very difficult to locate in very good condition. Myself and another member here each has paid close to a grand for a set of four NOS centers. The best way I can suggest looking is pound the shows, e bay, message boards and craigslist on a daily basis.

RoadWheels3[1].jpg

RoadWheels3[1].jpg

Ask him about drag cycles... They shock the drive line, including the wheels! :3gears:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back