1969 Imperial Lebaron Resto-Rod Project

side_show

Reaction score
Alright! Lets do this!

I'm well under way for this build ... been at it for years. Finally decided to do a build thread instead of just asking quesitons!!!

Right now My focus is on Body Work! Ive also just finished Brakes!!! which was a Big milestone .... I'm talking from a rebuilt master cylinder to re-sleeved calipers ... new lines all around ... stainless flexible lines for the drops from the frame .... I have one leak in a wheel cylinder at the rear that needs replacing, but thats all! (It took me a while to track down all the leaks I had while bleeding it! hahaha so glad its done!

I just took the past week off work and brought my car to a family friends body shop. He's a friend of my fathers and we always go to him for work and have refer'd a TON of work to him ... he has always been extremely nice to me and has also done a bunch of work on my stuff and my friends cars. Plus his guys are artists with metal and finishing work.

He wanted me to leave the car there at the end of the week for his guys to finish for me ... he would have done it free of charge ... but I couldnt live with not paying him and I dont have the cash to let him do it ... so I brought it home at the end of the week to finish it off with what I learned while I was there!!

If you're in the Toronto and need some work Bill is honest ... fair ... and old school as ****.

McKeown Collision

8470 Regional Road 25, Milton, ON L9T 2X5
905 875 1811

anyway! I brought the car there and set up in a corner of the shop and basically got advise from the guys working there about how to do body work I have never done body work before ... I understand the basics, but this week off of work was basically a crash course at their body shop on how to replace quarter panels and patch doors properly.

I am a fairly proficient welder ... all self taught on this car! A lot of reading and practice is what it took! Welding body work is very tricky though; and extremely time consuming .... I now realize why taking a car to a shop and getting them to do it properly can reach astronomical costs. This **** takes TIME .... lots and lots of time.

Loaded up on the trailer and ready to go to the shop!
RhtXoynl.jpg

3dcaCzml.jpg

So here is the drivers side ... there are previous poorly done repairs (patches that were brazed in ... and not very well) with lots and lots of fiber glass ontop about half and inch to an inch of BS on there.

The "dog leg area" (bottom/behind the rear door) was also pretty bad too.

MbpHKKgl.jpg

B4nWAdBl.jpg

Step #1: The inner fender was also rotten .... so I I cut off the outer fender I wouldnt have the line at the bottom ... so step 1 is the make a flat piece with a angle at the bottom and tack it in on the inside ... that way I have the line to line up the outer patch! (*you can see the inside piece welded in the picture below)

Step #2: figure out roughly where to cut and make a general patch of the outer area (leaving extra) and bend the bottom so that the inner and outer fender can be clamped together and you have a clean bottom line.

Step #3: cut that **** out!!

Cou71fIl.jpg

Step #4: Final cuts on the body (you want about 1/4" to 1/2" overlap) and final trimming of the patch. Drill some holes in the bottom lip part also to connect it to the inner fender!

Step #5: clamp ... fit ... trim .... clamp ... fit .... grind .... fit .... clamp ... trim ....

XKYwuxUl.jpg

Step #6: TACK WELD! very time consuming process, start with tacks close to the centre of the piece about 6" apart and slowly move outwards .... small singular tacks. If the tacks are too big my big beautiful panels would warp in a second! so its hundreds of tiny tacks that eventually join everything together.

and yes .... I'm getting rid of the stupid reflectors at the bottom of the rear quarter panels.

iMUlX6fl.jpg

More and more tacks ... move around ... front .. .back ... bottom ... top etc. dont stay in one spot! If you do you will immediately warp the whole quarter panel.

0IVgwz8l.jpg

Dog leg time!!!

lots of BS repair work here ... they basically took galvanized roofing metal ... cut shitty patches tacked them in and filled it full of fiber glass

heres one of the patches on the way out

Qp8647cl.jpg

more cutting and grinding later (I was so itchy after this ****)

ooUdKJJ.jpg

I'll post more later!

-SS

It looks like you've lost the correct curve to the lower quarter. Despite the fiberglass etc, they got the curve correct...photo 3 looks correct.

The patch appears to be too flat. It could just be the picture angle, but I've seen this error so many times on fuselage cars that I thought I'd chime in while you can still correct it.

If you have the original skirts, it'll help you get the curve right.

Looks like a great projekt! Good luck with your build. I will follow everything with big interest, I have to do the lower quarters on my 69 as well.

It looks like you've lost the correct curve to the lower quarter. Despite the fiberglass etc, they got the curve correct...photo 3 looks correct.

The patch appears to be too flat. It could just be the picture angle, but I've seen this error so many times on fuselage cars that I thought I'd chime in while you can still correct it.

If you have the original skirts, it'll help you get the curve right.

Its a bit of the picture angle and a bit flat there. once it was all tacked in we corrected the curve and then installed the braces from inside the fender.

so onto the dog leg

Bing
65K5LQ4l.jpg

Bang
rSpQ2gLl.jpg

Boom
pAQXKs7l.jpg

Finished ... you can just see the patch on the rocker panel there that also needed an inside and outside patch but overall it was pretty good! (took me about 5 or 6 hours to do that whole side!)

Heres the whole side after completing the wheel well lines and the repairs to the wheel wells ... that weird line on the left side of the wheel well is an error in the picture (Iphone picture...) the lines are very straight and match the .

HA1qnnTl.jpg

Onto the next side!

afg8mydl.jpg

Also! I got to use this neato thing!! Its a prototype miller welder with Auto-set .... basically you choose your material thickness and set it to the wire thickness and it regulates the wire feed speed based on your welds! it was pretty cool!

wMuWZEcl.jpg

Stay Tuned.

Nice work. Keep the pictures coming cause I will do this on my -71 300 next winter so it very interresting to see how you fix it.

I'm glad you got it right! No sense in all that welding if it wouldn't looks right after. Well done on the dog leg.

Nice work. Keep the pictures coming cause I will do this on my -71 300 next winter so it very interresting to see how you fix it.

will do! I've been meaning to do a build thread for a long time .... figured no better time than now!

I'm glad you got it right! No sense in all that welding if it wouldn't looks right after. Well done on the dog leg.

Yeah ... I'd be pretty disappointed if after all these hours if it turned out looking wrong.

However I am not putting the skirts back on so i had a bit of freedom to play with the rear quarter panel to get the curve I wanted. I'll show a picture from the back when I get a chance ... It looks proper!

Not putting the skirts on also aloud me to do the curve I wanted around the wheel well ... still followed the same shape ... but got the tips at the bottom where I wanted!

You did. And it was in 2008...

Yeah the miller 141 came out a little while ago with the Auto-set technology ... this welder they have has some updated technology in it that will be rolled out in the next version.

Its so cool!

heres some info on the Lokar throttle cable and transmission kick down cable.

The throttle cable is no problems ... pretty basic ... measure twice ... cut to size and install as per instuctions.

The transmission kick down had a couple issues with my cooling lines/floor pan. I had to mod the bracket that fits on the 727. see below!\

Transmission bracket interference pics ... as you can see it routes directly in line with my cooling hoses (granted I'm not using the original ones ...)
pokDzUa.jpg

v7t7p2q.jpg

Bing bang boom .... bend ... drill ... cut.

fe7pPmE.jpg

kWiYH4i.jpg

elg73LN.jpg

and I thought I had a after picture ... apparently not!! LOL! but it fits real good now .... goes over my hoses with clearance to the floor!

heres what it looks like up top at the carb.

V7yF5XX.jpg

FRiP7Jr.jpg

ZEba5Wt.jpg

Stay Tuned.

How did you obtain a prototype?
I want one btw.

Miller gave them out to a few shops in the area earlier this year! the shop I'm at was one of the ones selected .... they had to give regular feed back about the new **** every week or so! then they'd come and make adjustments and replace parts and whatever .... all market research stuff ....

Now! MOAR PICTURES!!!!!

Blacked out Grill
Bs2ei.jpg

Dual Exhaust
dqp0r.jpg

SVJwU.jpg

4rptr.jpg

f81dQ.jpg

Comin out just infront of the rear wheel

QL6zu.jpg

Engine bay from a while ago .... I've cleaned it up quite abit since this picture ....

jIeIm.jpg

So .... Budd Brakes ..... sure they are huge 4 piston calipers with a decent design ..... but my god are they a pain in the ***! I had to get my calipers resleeved .... and then the wheels I have won't fit due to the lip of the caliper hitting the inside of my rim .... so I had to get wheel spacers from rough country and then turned them down on my lathe so my wheels would tuck inside the fenders (lowered life problems). Finally I got everything tucking right and set the front fender on to take a look.

Rebuilt Calipers

52i0U3Y.jpg

Here you can see the sleeves in the bore

dRwrse0.jpg

Sound Proofing the interior with Boom Mat (Dyna mat equivalent)
QYlN1vn.jpg

anVFe40.jpg

VMYGiO5.jpg

6vUg4yb.jpg

I've roped everyone into having a piece on this build!! got my Mom involved (she's just happy i spend time with my dad in the shop), she made me a new head liner out of some material I picked out at Fabric Land. we took apart the whole head liner and cut out each section .... she then sewed it together for me with the piping for the rods .... we kinda expected to have to take it down and readjust some of the lines.

So I sound proofed and heat proofed the ceiling and started installing the head liner .... then went back to the carpet and seats .... then back to the headliner .... etc.

.... This is also my first time installing an interior BTW .....

I got the head liner up and started stretching and adjusting the layout and clipping it to the sides and front and back with foldback clips ... and OMG ... the thing fit perfect ..... I couldn't believe it.

Once it was all clipped and stretched I went and contact cemented the edges to where they sit on the sides and trimmed the excess .... it looks perfect!

Stretching out.
r8m1JF7.jpg

JxMBTnq.jpg

Trimmin the Piping

eipUiER.jpg

Clipping

oamaQRm.jpg

I dont have any pictures of the completed product .... Have to take some later....\

bottom view

LNO5oHV.jpg

Back to the floor!!

Get that heat proofing in.
8WXOYSW.jpg

Get that Carpet In.

XA09YMA.jpg

Better get the drivers seat in!

ZRpMEeq.jpg

What about seat belts?
wDiaqv1.jpg

What about the rest of the seats?