Uncle Ray is going in for round 2

Reaction score
Decided it was time to park the Fury even though it's still very nice here in western pa. The plan for this winter is to get the sludge cleaned off of the bottom again, patch a few rust spots, clean up the rear end and put new leaf springs on. Started heating and scraping on Friday and I'm already sick of that ****, so I'm looking into renting a hot pressure washer this week and blasting as much of that slop off as I can. Thankfully a lot of it is still soft so I think that will make easy work of it. Also, I knocked out the filler on the panel behind the bumper to somewhat legitimately repair the rot. Would anyone have a pic or two of the front and back side of that panel so I can have a good idea of what to do.

IMG_20231116_160432824.jpg

IMG_20231116_160446116.jpg

IMG_20231116_160451384.jpg

IMG_20231116_160504513.jpg

IMG_20231119_140450741.jpg

Good luck with that messy *** job. I guess it's soft after market rust proofing you're looking at removing.
If that is a 71 you have there I am looking at joining that particular club soon if I can drive the 13 hours it will take to check my prospective purchase out!

Yeah, if that is recent undercoating I'd leave it alone unless it has areas that aren't sealed well.
It's the factory undercoating, that may have cracks/voids allowing moisture to get behind, that needs to be dealt with.

IMO it's near impossible to get all that stuff off unless the car is on a rotisserie.
There are simply too many nooks & crannies.
I base that on my imagination of doing such a job, and also the 2 cars I once owned where a PO started that job and abandoned it after doing the easy areas.

Yeah, if that is recent undercoating I'd leave it alone unless it has areas that aren't sealed well.
It's the factory undercoating, that may have cracks/voids allowing moisture to get behind, that needs to be dealt with.

IMO it's near impossible to get all that stuff off unless the car is on a rotisserie.
There are simply too many nooks & crannies.
I base that on my imagination of doing such a job, and also the 2 cars I once owned where a PO started that job and abandoned it after doing the easy areas.
It's definitely not factory and recent. It's ziebart-like undercoating that's was slathered on there up until the late 80s when it was parked. Believe me the job is a pain in the ***, but the back half has to match the front. Most of it is still soft, but there are areas where it has gotten hard and needs to go. This is what the front looks like (crappy pic) after months of scraping and scrubbing with kerosine/mineral spirits.

FB_IMG_1700449240960.jpg

Good luck with that messy *** job. I guess it's soft after market rust proofing you're looking at removing.
If that is a 71 you have there I am looking at joining that particular club soon if I can drive the 13 hours it will take to check my prospective purchase out!
I live in Richmond area. Welcome from a fellow Virginian and 1971 Fury owner.
1971 Fury GT, Gold, Promo Car

I had much success using Simple Green in large quantities, with a nylon toothbrush, plastic putty knife. Gallons of it, on my 65 Mustang. Yes, dirty job, but the simple green didn’t affect the paint underneath and in fact, I uncovered the factory grease pencil marks that the inspector placed on the inside of the fender wells.

That's great. Are you OT of youtube fame? I am in Charlottesville, negotiating on a 71 Fury to tow my 72 Plymouth Cricket to shows with!
I have no You-Tube fame. However, would be cool to meet up with a fellow 1971 Fury man. If it's a warm day, I can drive my 1970 Fury convertible. I expect another year of repairs before my 1971 Fury is running. I'll PM you.

So far this is cleaning up nicely. Found a few small rust holes under the slop, but they're small enough I should be able to clean them up and glob some weld in them. Not like it's going to Barrett Jackson auction anytime soon and a little weld is better than filler IMO. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

IMG_20231123_101555172.jpg

IMG_20231123_101612989.jpg

This turned up after I knocked the rest of the undercoating off the inner quarters. The passenger side is in similar shape but not as bad. I'llcut this out and patch as best as I can and won't complain too much since this car had never left western PA.

IMG_20231201_142730858.jpg

Back