1969 Imperial progress thread

I'm half-tempted to go to Germany just to see this car one day in person. I've done the castles and biergartens. Time to see this beauty...one day. Haven't been back to Germany since I was stationed up North from '89-'92, apart from a couple of TDYs where we had a stopover in Frankfurt in the '90s.

I'm half-tempted to go to Germany just to see this car one day in person. I've done the castles and biergartens. Time to see this beauty...one day. Haven't been back to Germany since I was stationed up North from '89-'92, apart from a couple of TDYs where we had a stopover in Frankfurt in the '90s.
things changed ... not for the better .. your Democrat party would be far right in our system that gives you an idea which way we´re going. But I won´t start derailing this thread with politics..
You could time your visit in summer for the anual Boats by the river meeting. That would probably a blast

things changed ... not for the better .. your Democrat party would be far right in our system that gives you an idea which way we´re going. But I won´t start derailing this thread with politics..
You could time your visit in summer for the annual Boats by the river meeting. That would probably a blast

Indeed. And sad.

But hey, Julian's Imperial is looking as stunning as we have expected!

Adding the dome light will help with interior viability tremendously at night, but I personally like the clean look of the headliner on the 1969 Imperial without the dome light.
Speaking of the headliner, have you found a source for the material you will use on your 69 restoration? The upholstery guy that did my seats in the 72 and in @ayilar car, Medina, could not find the same material anywhere. The 69 headliner material is different than other C body's, with the material that feels similar to velvet.
View attachment 628514
View attachment 628515
Unfortunately, I have not found the correct material for the headliner and the package shelf yet. I'm looking on and off for a while now, but will intensify my search soon because I will need both materials for my next steps! I will post abouit it here as soon as I have an update on them!

I have the same dome light and housing from my '73 NYB, they must have used the same throughout the Fuselage years, it is probably going to be easy to find. If your '69 had the dome light originally, what happened to the bracket?
I never had the bracket in mine since it is a LeBaron and had the smaller rear window with 2 reading lights next to it instead of a regular dome light. Mine was just like in the pictures sixpkrt posted.
But I removed the vinyl roof and with it the smaller window and it's fiber glass plug in which the reading lights are installed. Right now, I don't have any lights inside the car besides the lights on the bottom of the doors. And that's no bueno.

You should do a tour in Summer to the BBTR show, it's absolutely worth a visit! And you are of course welcome to come and see my car when you are here! But if you do it's probably best to wait 1-2 years until the car is actually a car, at least more then right now. ;)
There are still two big elephants in the room, the interior and motor, and both are pretty big expenses, and now that the car is painted, my gold pot is empty. :(

That car has to go on an American tour when it's finished .
It's actually my biggest dream to go on a big road trip all over the US with her when she is done! But it's also my biggest fear to lose her on the ocean in a storm or something like that. So that's unfortunately probably never happening. :/

I never had the bracket in mine since it is a LeBaron and had the smaller rear window with 2 reading lights next to it instead of a regular dome light. Mine was just like in the pictures sixpkrt posted.
But I removed the vinyl roof and with it the smaller window and it's fiber glass plug in which the reading lights are installed. Right now, I don't have any lights inside the car besides the lights on the bottom of the doors. And that's no bueno.
If you still have the map light, that should also come on automatically when you open a door. Nevertheless, the entire light show is pretty dim.

I like mine a lot. 1970 NYer. No idea whether the light is original or not, but it looks like one. Otherwise it is a very original car. (Engine and tranny notwithstanding; they were donated away a long time ago). Just to give you an idea.

IMG_9223.jpeg

If you still have the map light, that should also come on automatically when you open a door. Nevertheless, the entire light show is pretty dim.
Indeed, you are right! In combination with courtesy lights under the dash it will be enough light I guess!

I like mine a lot. 1970 NYer. No idea whether the light is original or not, but it looks like one. Otherwise it is a very original car. (Engine and tranny notwithstanding; they were donated away a long time ago). Just to give you an idea.

View attachment 628614
Thanks for the picture! That looks really nice! I like that! Do you may have pictures of the installed lights under the dash? Would be great to see location and orientation of the lights!

Well, **** just hit the fan...... I had to do something about the rattling and wobbling of the outer skin on the Hood and Trunk Lid. The original sealer had been washed out in the rust and paint removal bath.
After finding a product that sounded just like what I needed, I contacted the manufacturer and asked them if it's the right stuff for my particular case and they said yes, their product is made exactly for this application.

Well, I guess not, since it somehow shrunk and pulled the sheet metal down with it where the structulal braces are on the inside................... . . . . . . .

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

01.gif

Is that some sort of expanding foam? I doubt any rattle can product would be able to shrink metal like that, more likely pushed it up in places where it expanded.

BTW, this is what I used when I re skinned my hood:

IMG_1084.png

A small golf ball sized amount at various locations will stop the metal from wobbling.

Is that some sort of expanding foam? I doubt any rattle can product would be able to shrink metal like that, more likely pushed it up in places where it expanded.
Nope, it's a 2k expending foam, but it definitely pulled down the areas where I sprayed it!

BTW, this is what I used when I re skinned my hood:

View attachment 628795

A small golf ball sized amount at various locations will stop the metal from wobbling.
I seam sealed the entire car, but you can't reach inside the trunk lid with normal seam sealer.

According to the manufacturer, this foam is designed for this application and doesn't have any strength to push metal apart.

I drilled holes on the bottom of the lid to insert the foam application hose and filled the support ribs with foam. And exactly along these ribs on the bottom is the metal lower now...
2023-11-03 13.27.53.jpg

Back