1969 Imperial progress thread

I'd be sure you can get a replacement and have it in your hand, matching the spline, size, shape etc.... BEFORE even thinking about cutting the old one off.

I'd be sure you can get a replacement and have it in your hand, matching the spline, size, shape etc.... BEFORE even thinking about cutting the old one off.

Is the ball and socket end of the pitman arm still in good shape? If it is leave it there,if not cut away.The pitman arm is not that easy to source,I found one but it cost me $300 CDN.

The rear wheel drive D platform was a body on frame chassis used only by Imperial from 1957 until 1966
That's what google says?!

So neither firm feel, yet PST steering and suspension parts will fit my car?

They will probably fit...

Check your OEM Chrysler parts book and see if the pittman arm and idler arm were the same part numbers as let's say a New Yorker.

Still.... Best to have the new one in your hands before you cut the old one.

Check your OEM Chrysler parts book and see if the pittman arm and idler arm were the same part numbers as let's say a New Yorker.
WHAT??
They are the same??
823540d1347879746-addict-frogman-two-up-ebay-surprised.jpg

What years?

I'm new here...

You know... I say this with a lot of years of wrenching on my own cars and reading of others' experiences.

What the XYZ company says fits your Mopar quite possibly doesn't. Pittman and steering arms in particular. Bring the factor of being an Imperial into the mix and I think you have a 50/50 shot at best of finding the right replacement the first time.

I hate to say this but the internet is wrong. A body was started in 1960, B body followed in 1962, C body in 1965, D body 1967 as a Imperial only, no crossing makes for d body, E body 1970, F body in 1977, G body, Horizon/Omni 1978 and it goes on from there. 67-68 D body had the most different/unique parts most of which are unobtanible now rotors, brake pads, idler arm, pitman arm. 69 up had more parts in common with c bodies and more parts are availible. BTW there were no body designations before 1960 all were full size just a difference in the wheelbase, smaller being the cheaper and lower line cars longer for higher priced models and lines. I would follow Big Johns advice and wait till you have the new one in hand, that way you can shoot some grease in it work it around, buy a new boot if you can't find one. IMO

Per the 1969 Factory Parts Book (the 2nd most important book)

Pitman
C-3004812
Y-3004813

Idler
C-2835842
Y-2835853

Not sure where but they probably can be rebuilt so DO NOT CUT them off

Alan

Last edited:
I would not cut just because they are stuck/hard does not mean they are bad loose and floppy is bad, just means it probably needs a little TLC to free it up most everything else is well maintained on your car I would say they may still be serviceable, I know everybody likes new shiny parts but a decent used one in hand is better than a $300 one on someone else's shelf.

I hate to say this but the internet is wrong. A body was started in 1960, B body followed in 1962, C body in 1965, D body 1967 as a Imperial only, no crossing makes for d body, E body 1970, F body in 1977, G body, Horizon/Omni 1978 and it goes on from there. 67-68 D body had the most different/unique parts most of which are unobtanible now rotors, brake pads, idler arm, pitman arm. 69 up had more parts in common with c bodies and more parts are availible. BTW there were no body designations before 1960 all were full size just a difference in the wheelbase, smaller being the cheaper and lower line cars longer for higher priced models and lines. I would follow Big Johns advice and wait till you have the new one in hand, that way you can shoot some grease in it work it around, buy a new boot if you can't find one. IMO

It's been a while since I've been through the Engineering Data Books with a fine tooth comb, but there are letter designations for bodies before 1960. IIRC, in 1955, Plymouth & Dodge were then referred to as the "A" body while the DeSoto & Chrysler were the "B" body. These designations have no relation to the first generation Valiant and Lancer, but they did exist.

Fortunately, I didn't cut it today! If I could find a new boot I would love to rebuild it! That would save me a lot of money, even if the PST one will fit.

The seam was shot (right side in the picture) so I didn't care damaging the boot with the pickle fork...
DSC_0005a.jpg

I would love to have a parts book, but the one I saw the other day was crazy expensive... :(

DSC_0005a.jpg

My guess you could be able to find something Fitting in Germany. There are numerous offerings for such boots for all kinds of models. Problem is how to have the measurements compared as they're typically listed by model, not by size.

Not the least experience. I try to avoid These generic offerings or repops they often but not always have Quality issues or changing Quality from Batch to Batch. If you could find some OEM stuff Fitting from BMW/Mercedes for example (that's just a thought and provided they sell These boots alone) this would be first choice, otherwise give These a try.

Back