1969 Imperial progress thread

I was more specific on other parts I did already and because the general interest went down a bit, I decided to just post a pictured update of parts I finish now.

But I'm always happy to share my methods and experiences!

I first start with the tear down and writing a list of parts I will need. After that, I inspect worn and broken parts and think about how to replace them. Most parts I needed until now were not available on the aftermarket. The ones that was, were not fitting proberly...

For example on the wiper motor: After tear down, I started with derusting all parts with my bench wire wheel:
001.jpg

Headlamps - Motor - 110.jpg
Freshly wire wheeled. All rust, dirt and chalk and advesives gone.

Windshield wiper - Motor - 056.jpg
Parts like the screws were polished with the polishing disc on the bench grinder and a block of special polishing paste I ordered online here in germany from a guy who makes them by himself. Great stuff.

Headlamps - Motor - 109.jpgWindshield wiper - Motor - 094.jpg
Because the plastic one of the brush mounting plates was brittling away, I made a new one out of FR-4 (circuit board material).

I replaced the old, rotten wires with new ones. That's special automobil approved Oil, fuel and head resistant wires. Regular isolated and cloth jacketed wires for the right look.
I crimped and soldered the new cables to the old terminals. I reused the original terminals, because new ones shipped to germany are expensive and the ones I have are fine. I sanded and polished them to remove all the old deposits and dirt.
Windshield wiper - Motor - 014.jpgWindshield wiper - Motor - 057.jpgWindshield wiper - Motor - 058.jpgWindshield wiper - Motor - 059.jpg

001.jpg

Headlamps - Motor - 110.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 056.jpg

Headlamps - Motor - 109.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 094.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 014.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 057.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 058.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 059.jpg

17.jpg18.jpg
I removed the old tape from the coils because they were soaked with rust, dirt and and other deposits. I soldered the new cloth isolated cables to the coil ends and isolated everything with new electrical tape.

Windshield wiper - Motor - 085.jpgWindshield wiper - Motor - 090.jpg
Headlamp door motor (before - after) - 14.jpgHeadlamp door motor (before - after) - 15.jpgHeadlamp door motor (before - after) - 16.jpg
On this motor, I could reuse the isolation around the coils. For example, on the headlamp door motor, there they were not salvageable and I made new ones by scanning them and using Abode Illustrator to make digital templates, which I printed directly to new gasket material.

Windshield wiper - Motor - 028.jpg
The inner part was just degreased and wire wheeled. The contacts were sanded and the spaces between them cleaned and "rewidened" with a boxcutter blade. (no after photo available)

17.jpg

18.jpg

Headlamp door motor (before - after) - 14.jpg

Headlamp door motor (before - after) - 15.jpg

Headlamp door motor (before - after) - 16.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 085.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 090.jpg

Windshield wiper - Motor - 028.jpg

After cleaning the cover I removed the contact plate, wire wheeled and airbrushed it with Alclad II ALC-111 Magnesium, which requires a black base coat. After that, I used Plasti Dip liquid rubber to seal everything.

f (1).jpgf (2).jpgf (3).jpgf (4).jpgf (5).jpg

The housing was painted. First with Brunox epoxy which is a rust converter and sealing base coat (maybe only available in Germany!?) and then with 3 coats of matte black paint from a rattle can.
g (1).jpgg (2).jpgg (3).jpg

I had to drill out the old screws in the housing, tapped the threads a little bigger and used new metric stainless steel alan head screws instead.
h (2).jpg
h (1).jpg

And that's pretty much it.
After that, I reassambled everything. I will redo to wire solderings, because I made it optically like the factory. They crimped them together parallel to each other... I don't like that look, so I will solder them again, butt to butt.

f (2).jpg

f (3).jpg

f (4).jpg

f (5).jpg

f (1).jpg

g (1).jpg

g (2).jpg

g (3).jpg

h (1).jpg

h (2).jpg

I was in my shop yesterday after 3 months and she is actually looking pretty sad sitting there in the cold, but as soon as it will be warm enought in there, I will dive into the body work. Even if I'm scared about it, because I have no experiences on that...

Not even a Kerosene heater? I've burned up about 15 Gallons in the last month in my garage.... I have the summertime blues like never before

No insulation or heater at all. With 10x10x10m, it's way to big to heat it up. I thought about building a tent inside the shop and heat that up... But I have enought parts to do that I can take home and work on them in the shop I set up in my living room. :)

I was doing that Saturday, polishing bolts before they go back in. Holding them with vice grips as they go into the wire wheel.

No insulation or heater at all. With 10x10x10m, it's way to big to heat it up. I thought about building a tent inside the shop and heat that up... But I have enought parts to do that I can take home and work on them in the shop I set up in my living room. :)
The shop in the living room....... you married with kids?

My garage is 28 'X 36' X 12' high but heat is necessary for any length of stay when it's 12 degrees outside

I was doing that Saturday, polishing bolts before they go back in. Holding them with vice grips as they go into the wire wheel.

No, Dave. Read closely. Vodka POLISHES the screws.

Parts like the screws were polished with the polishing disc on the bench grinder and a block of special polishing paste I ordered online here in germany from a guy who makes them by himself.

I suppose if mine weren't to be painted I would too.....but, maybe not. I'm not doing what he's doing right now. I don't find it all that extreme but I do appreciate the work

The shop in the living room....... you married with kids?

My garage is 28 'X 36' X 12' high but heat is necessary for any length of stay when it's 12 degrees outside

No wife, no kids, but it's just a small corner of my living room, barely noticeable :p
2015-02-20 20.48.41.jpg

But you insulated your shop, did you? I would head right out the window, as they say.

2015-02-20 20.48.41.jpg

Yes... Insulated... R 13 in the walls and R 30 in the ceiling...

Gotcha I looked right passed that

No wife and kids equates to doing what you want and where you want

Hm, I don't get that one, Stan... What's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with that. It just pushes you up higher on the You Suck list. Your attention to detail is beyond even most high end restoration shops.
What I was really sayimg was, Well DONE, Vodka!!!??

Ah, I understand that ;) Thanks Stan!

* let me add, I should be honered to be on that list I guess?! ;)

Back