For Sale 1979 Magnum XE GT 6500. Johnstown Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="

... I traded even up my Magnum for a '67 Satelite with a Hemi, ...[/QUOTE]
No wonder your location says "Waupun!!!!"
P.S. I'm a Badger!

Beautiful car.
XS is for the magnum and SS is cordobas. My 78 magnum even has "XS" stamped on the (I think it is called) trunk extension...the metal that extends from the trunk and connects to the rear quarter panel. I think that is odd because as far as I can tell the fenders and QP's are the same.? "X" was also used for the charger. I didn't know you could have both the GT and XE trim levels/models.
The flared fenders and door sheetmetal on the magnum are the same stampings that were first used earlier on the cordoba based charger daytona. The regular chargers used plain cordoba sheetmetal. Look at the middle and bottom cars. Compare them to the green SE charger pic. I used to own a red 77 charger SE, a buddy owned a black and silver magnum XE GT, we used to compare both cars sheetmetal.

By the mid 70s since chrysler was cash strapped, they recycled the stampings on several vehicles. Using the presses that made the charger daytonas unique fenders. Doors, and rear quarters, and using these pieces for the 78 magnum. The hood on the 73 to 76 dart is a recycled stamping as well. It was only used on one other vehicle for one year prior to being used on the dart. Anybody know which car chrysler put the 73-76 dart hood on first?

35e9ddae42a81f929ec328aab1185b9b.jpg

4916986435_b9d45a6cbc.jpg

downloadfile-25.jpg

Last edited:
When I worked for Chrysler, I ordered a 1979 Magnum XE as one of our lab cars. It was one of the best cars we ever had. I drove it every chance I had. Handled extremely well, and with the 360-4 it also had decent power. Ours had the 60-40 split bench seats with the cloth interior just because I felt they were more comfortable than the leather buckets for longer trips. It was dark metallic blue. Just a great looking car, very quiet, and so nice to drive. I will never forget that car. Very well built too.

When I worked for Chrysler, I ordered a 1979 Magnum XE as one of our lab cars. It was one of the best cars we ever had. I drove it every chance I had. Handled extremely well, and with the 360-4 it also had decent power. Ours had the 60-40 split bench seats with the cloth interior just because I felt they were more comfortable than the leather buckets for longer trips. It was dark metallic blue. Just a great looking car, very quiet, and so nice to drive. I will never forget that car. Very well built too.

I would agree. Although I was teasing about the upsidedown Canada sticker, the Windsor plant has always been one of the best at Chrysler, with Jefferson plant being the best in Detroit. (Hamtramck and Lynch road were the worst, and axed by Iacocca)

Absent those two old inner-city plants, I believe Chrysler would have a much better quality reputation.

I looked at more daytona pix. It does appear that it may have been a tape and paint appearance package to the stock cordoba sheetmetal.

BTW anybody know which A body used the 73-76 dart hood stamping first? I will give you a hint, it wasnt a dart.

Last edited:
I looked at more daytona pix. It does appear that it may have been a tape and paint appearance package to the stock cordoba sheetmetal.

BTW anybody know which A body used the 73-76 sart hood stamping first? I will give you a hint, it wasnt a dart.

I do, but I want somebody else to get it.

>Started Chrysler career at a stamping plant<

And the F and R bumpers interchange...

And (the Magnum/Doba) interior 1/4 window panels were designed by the father of an infrequent poster here.

It was kinda neat because long before I knew that, I always thought they looked cool; like the window in a jet. If he was alive I'd have to ask if that was the inspiration.

I love when I every so often learn the story behind some little part they made zillions of... your '17+ L-platform car has a different airbox because of me and the story is kinda cool

Hopefully the lube techs won't snap the mounting bolts now...:poke:

$6,500???? Doesn't this guy know these cars go for 30 grand???

Sweet car. I've always liked them. One won "Modern Mopar" Class at a show I attended. All the guys with new Challengers and Chargers were pissed! It was a sweet car! The next year they changed that designation of years. Ha!
IMG_3580.JPG

BTW anybody know which A body used the 73-76 dart hood stamping first? I will give you a hint, it wasnt a dart.
I believe the Inner Structures are a Tad Different For a Original Barracuda Hood Vs. A Dart Sport Hood. And Barracuda hoods had The Blinkers on the hood instead of fenders, Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back