2 DR V 4DR Debate

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
There is a very nice 4dr car listed for sale on here in another thread. I don't want to highjack his post so I'm asking here how much of a negative are the two extra doors? In past years 4 dr's were the kiss of death, aka Grandpa cars. Now it seems they are more accepted. I recently sold my 66 NY'er 4dr for $7500. I'm not sure it would've brought much more if it was a 2 dr. The gentleman who bought it was in his mid 30's so he grew up in a time when 4 doors were more mainstream. Me being an old fart would still prefer a 2 door for a classic or fun car although for a daily driver I now like those rear doors for convenience. WDYT?

I grew up in the era where 2 doors were cool. I still think that. However I could see where someone in their 30’s or had younger kids would prefer a 4- door.

Now they are more accepted
Younger generations have grown up with sport sedans, most notably from the Germans. For me, if a car has a back seat, I want easy access to it. My first car was a 1980 Gran Fury squad, and all R-bodies were 4-doors. The other problem I have with 2-doors is entry/exit is more difficult with the narrower angle of the open door. Banging a big door into the car next to you in a parking lot could be grounds for road rage.
R-bodyC.jpg

I defintely prefer 2 doors when it comes to styling. I feel the 4 door cars are like an afterthought once they’ve designed the 2 door model. Only older car I would want with 4(5) doors is a wagon. Modern 4 doors that are initially built that way and are stupid fast are a different story.

There is a very nice 4dr car listed for sale on here in another thread. I don't want to highjack his post so I'm asking here how much of a negative are the two extra doors? In past years 4 dr's were the kiss of death, aka Grandpa cars. Now it seems they are more accepted. I recently sold my 66 NY'er 4dr for $7500. I'm not sure it would've brought much more if it was a 2 dr. The gentleman who bought it was in his mid 30's so he grew up in a time when 4 doors were more mainstream. Me being an old fart would still prefer a 2 door for a classic or fun car although for a daily driver I now like those rear doors for convenience. WDYT?

Chris: I think it depends a lot on how the 4-door is set up. A four-door hardtop, especially one such as a 300 with a console and buckets, is pretty desirable. A four door sedan. . . Not so much. Note that the Europeans really like four doors.

More doors....more fun!!
Chrysler products of the 50's 60's had one of the sexiest rooflines in their 4 door hardtops.
upload_2020-7-23_15-7-37.jpeg

upload_2020-7-23_15-8-20.jpeg

37943256_10155406308161244_5474172359780859904_n.jpg

Last edited:
The fact that I have four kids getting in and out of my car I like 4 doors. I was raised in 4 doors too. My father laughed when I bought my first 68 NYer 4 dr sedan when I was 20. He said that I had always liked big 4 door cars. I to this day have no idea why he said that.

I really do like 4 doors though.

For me personally,I like the utility of the 4 door.
With the exception of Maggie's 69 Fury III 2 dr, all of my C's past and present happened to be 4dr hardtops.
I love the Fury but as I get old,crawling in and out of the back GETS old,LOL!!

Anybody here with a 68-older 4dr knows the trick on how to lock the doors without the key!! (open back doors lock all 4)
Try that with a 68-older 2 door!!
20200614_171351.jpg

View attachment 390350

Last edited:
Slab side cars ('65 - '68) seem to wear 4 doors more gracefully than others, but I'm a little bias'ed. We all have our preferences, so I'd say go with what you like. Even as a "fun" car I enjoy having the extra doors to get things/people in and out of the car more easily, especially as I age. Since picking up a sedan a few years I have gotten to like the solidness of the doors, etc. and have learned to overlook the not-quite-as-open feel (as a hardtop) with windows down.

As I've gotten older I'm liking the looks of the coupes more and more. I surely wouldn't over look a really nice 4 door with a big block.
Full disclosure all of my current drivers are 2 doors. (Imperial, Challenger SE, Eldorado)

0824191350_0001.jpg

Four doors have increased in popularity since most can be had without breaking the bank. I'm a huge fan of four door hardtops, their roof lines with all four windows down is such a classy look, both slab and fusey body styles. Four door sedans have a more formal look, something an executive would drive. Look at a '67-'68 Imperial 4 door sedan and you tell me how classy that looks. The first '68 Fury III I fell in love with was my dad's 4 door sedan when I was 9. Burgundy, black vinyl top and black interior. It left quite an impression on me.

Being an old school guy I always avoided the 4 door cars. I rarely carry anyone in the back seat so not much need for the extra doors. I had a new A12 Road Runner in 1969 but the times a buddy and I double dated I would swap for my dads 69 Imperial LeBaron 4 door. A triple dark blue beauty.
I've narrowed my car selection down to two body styles now.. A convertible, which, except for a few exceptions, are 2 doors. And station wagons, which I prefer to be a 4 door.
there are some beautiful examples of 4 door hardtops from the 50's and 60's.

It has always been 2dr hdtps for me, but the 4drs, both hdtp and sedans are growing on me.
The one exception to a 4dr preference over a 2dr would be the 66-69 Lincoln Continental, I would definitely prefer the suicide door over the 2dr for those models.
The suicide doors were just to cool!

I cut my Polara teeth in a four door. I loved that car! Its demise was the top didn't go down.
These days my wife and I prefer a two door in a car. I still want another 4 door Polara with the right roof line.

Back