2019 hurricane season thread...

Haven't seen a spaghetti track on the weather channel yet today so we'll just cull one off the 'net.

View attachment 313669
upload_2019-8-30_11-3-14.png

We aren't going to get sqat up in the mid-Atlantic and there's a run on milk, bread and toilet paper here already because of forecasted rip currents and wind.

Jeff, I hope all will be well. Keep in mind the weather service was the first to come up with “fake news” and over emphasize the force of these storms to increase attentiveness. As a side note, I will be busy at work this weekend, my company is providing data for a hurricane evacuation study in the Florida impact area. Keep the cell phone handy, you might get a call, LOL.

:D
I blame you... :lol:

Being as I'm a short walk to the ocean, hurricanes are worrisome to say the least. I have whole house genny power (16kW), but it doesn't work very well when it's under several feet of water.

OTOH, never has a storm come ashore here in Ponte Vedra Beach. Closest was Dayto a long time ago (Dora). Typically it comes in elsewhere and becomes a windy rain event here, or it goes up the coastline and wallops NC, which gives us a severe rain and wind event (like Matthew, which was scary). Regardless, for those who have never been in the potential crosshairs, a 'cane is an unknown, worrisome thing until it's fully gone. But I guess it's better than worrying about a devastating, zero-predictable instant earthquake. No spaghetti to follow there!

I'm relieved that it looks like it won't be coming ashore over my house, but anyplace isn't a good place.

As for gas lines, I went out last night around 9:30 and filled my cars at empty gas stations. I don't get the gas line thing, but I guess it's "herd".
Stay safe, but currently the "weather guessers" seem to think you have a fighting chance...

Seriously, this could rip right through The FUHOA Reservation. :wideyed:

View attachment 313594
At least the overgrown bird house has been FL approved :rolleyes:, and I know how much you want to field test the new genny.

Seriously, be ready, I don't like the newer track... I was planning to head south if I left. There won't be anything north for a long, long ways.

I owned my PVB house during Charley, but I was in Houston on business for two weeks during that storm. It caused a mess of downed trees and weak gas station canopies because it had been a long time since a similarly powerful storm "cleaned up", but it came across the state and exited just north of Dayto so heavy wind damage was minimal here. That was the year of several hurricanes, IIRC.
4 for FL... and you're right, regular storms do "clean up" the foliage and weak structures.

Bulldog Chesty is hunkering down I bet. As well as Javier.

Screenshot_20190830_145540.jpg

Coming right at me and then heading up to you, Jeff.

Bulldog Chesty is hunkering down I bet. As well as Javier.

View attachment 313691

Coming right at me and then heading up to you, Jeff.
It will be a long day of storm... I'm hoping it stays weak enough to not knock out power, but I'm skeptical. That's why I considered a move south for a day or two... stupid track went back down that way and screwed up most of that plan.

It will be a long day of storm... I'm hoping it stays weak enough to not knock out power, but I'm skeptical. That's why I considered a move south for a day or two... stupid track went back down that way and screwed up most of that plan.
Go visit Bill.

So you need to be a gold member to exercise free speech? Sorry couldn't resist. No need to answer since I don't want to hijack this thread. Back on topic we are constantly being fed a line by the MSM that the severity of weather in particular hurricanes is increasing due to anthropogenic warming of the climate. I like Tony Heller's sceptical approach to the topic which allows us to stand back and do a reality check. As you can probably tell I don't count myself among the climate Chicken Littles.
Hiding The Decline In Extreme Weather | Real Climate Science
Hijack, derail... have fun all you want... FWIW Gold area's have even less moderation.

Buying PERISHABLES before a storm.
Wtf

That was taken back in January 2019 Stan

The store shelves are empty on just about any day around here anyway √

I just went to WallyWorld today to get a gallon of Milk, was going to go to Aldi across the street but saw the parking lot was jammed up more than usual so went across the street to WM.
Wasn't bad, canned goods and bread were pretty much decimated, had some associate asking everyone if they needed water, had to tell him to buzz off. Plenty of eggs & milk, in fact milk went down lower than Aldi and was $2.11 a gallon and I'm glad I waited since it was over $4 at Publix the other night when I went there.

Here's the produce section at the Ormond WallMart the day Hurricane Maria formed, that's the hurricane that devastated Puerto Rico and followed Irma which hit Florida in 2017.
I asked the produce clerk what's up with this, he more or less shrugged his shoulders and said we haven't had a truck in here for 2 days. IMO they weren't sending anymore product down to Florida or the supply line hadn't recovered yet from Irma. I think after having to write off millions from Irma they stopped shipments with the news that Maria was headed for us.

IMG_20170916_070031.jpg

We got out of work early today, we prepped the shop for the storm while we are gone for the long weekend, and possibly longer for when/if the storm hits next week.

Stopped at the Walmart gas station up in town to fuel the truck up. They were down to diesel and 93. While standing in line, the last of the 93 was pumped out of the tanks. Apparently the rest of town was already running out as well, with a bunch of pissed off people. A lot of places are not getting deliveries.

I got a few evil eyes as I pumped fuel into the old dinosaur.

We got out of work early today, we prepped the shop for the storm while we are gone for the long weekend, and possibly longer for when/if the storm hits next week.

Stopped at the Walmart gas station up in town to fuel the truck up. They were down to diesel and 93. While standing in line, the last of the 93 was pumped out of the tanks. Apparently the rest of town was already running out as well, with a bunch of pissed off people. A lot of places are not getting deliveries.

I got a few evil eyes as I pumped fuel into the old dinosaur.

How much per gallon was the 93?

I just filled the NYB and the Scat Pack with 93.....$2.77 a gallon.

It's already a Cat4

upload_2019-8-30_20-47-11.png

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL052019
830 PM EDT Fri Aug 30 2019

...DORIAN STRENGTHENS TO A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE...

Data from the NOAA Hurricane Hunters indicate that Dorian has
strengthened to an extremely dangerous category 4 hurricane with
maximum sustained winds near 130 mph (215 km/h). This increase in
intensity will be reflected in the forecast issued at 1100 pm EDT
(0300 UTC).

SUMMARY OF 830 PM AST...0030 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.3N 71.0W
ABOUT 400 MI...645 KM E OF THE NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS
ABOUT 575 MI...925 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H