383 vs 413

Boomer

Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying really hard not to make a pest of myself so early on with post after post. But! Something interesting happened today and I need yet more direction.

It all started when hotdog pointed me to an online download of the service manual. Cool, now I'm dangerous.

Was just looking through it and discovered a page telling how to decipher the door tag. Very simple. Except....my 383 4bbl car has a G code not an F code. And according to the owner, the engine is the original. I suspect the owner just didn't know.

Aside from displacement, what are the differences between the two? Any downsides to the 413, if that's what it ends up being? Is there a way to tell by looking at a photo to tell which engine it is and if not, can someone please tell me where to find the number on the engine? Haven't come across that info in the manual yet, or I missed it.

Photo attached.

9.jpg

I stand to be corrected but in front of the intake on the drivers side if there is a rounded rectangular cast tab that is machined on top you will have a 413 (or 440). Other way is just look up the casting # which should be just above the oil pan on the block.

Sorry, what year of car are you referring to? 66-69 G is 383 2bbl .413 was gone by 66. Do you mean 361? which is an F code that year. The single master cylinder appears to be 66 or older, though.
318=E
361=F
383=G
440=K

This is the ID pad that is to the right of the distributor on an RB (413/440). B block (383) does not have this.

rb id pad.gif

And your 66 will be a 383 or a 440.

rb id pad.gif

Sorry about that, it's a 1966 300. And I had thought the options were 383 or 440 as well, which is why the manual threw me. If you have the 1966 Chrysler/Imperial service manual, right at the beginning on page 4 is the information for 1966 models. It lists F as 383 and G as 413, which got my attention. I've had some exposure to the 383 - never seen a 413.

Thanks very much, guys. Think I'll go read something else for a while. :D

Yes sir, some of those books were misprinted, as that was the year Chrysler changed over.The factory service manual shows no 413, but does show F for 361, which wasn't available in a Chrysler. My 66' 440 shows the K, first year. The E was the old Poly head engine,,,,,,Dodge or Plymouth only.

Look for the pad as shown in 300rag's post. They are hard to see. Quick check for 383 B block (or 361, or 400) is that the pad is on the passenger side under the alternator. RB block pad 413, 426, & 440s have the pad under the A/C compressor on the driver side. It was my understanding too that for Chrysler dropped 413's after 65 and in 66 it was 383's and 440's. Then again a 66 I'm working on has fender tag color code MM for Turbine Bronze supposedly a 67 and up only color. Turned out it was a spring 66 only special offering as well.

Since you asked: I have a 64 and 65 New Yorkers running the 413s. They provide effortless torque to move the big cars and have the same block castings as other early RB's. In the day they were the bomb with long and short ram dual carbs, though not real streetable. I'd take one just the same. A single carb has good street manners and is no slouch, and sucks about as much gas as a 440. You can even drop in an old purple cam if you want a lumpy sound. Most grandmothers didn't. The problem comes if you have to rebuild them. The parts are expensive and hard to find; usually it's easier to turn them into 440's or stroke them if you have the $$ and want to. Most accessories from RB blocks bolt right on. Luckily they are tough engines and soldier on. 413's from motor homes are different beasts due to heads, water pumps etc.

413's are the same as a 440 except with a smaller bore size. Pistons for 413's can be hard to find and also expensive. All other parts are interchangeable with 440's.
383's use a shorter stroke than the 413/440. Plenty of power, and parts are as common as expected for Mopars.

Here's a couple pics to helps locate the identification pads as mentioned above

383-
383block.jpg

413/440-
440block.jpg

383block.jpg

440block.jpg

Don't ever feel you're being a pest, sharing info is the purpose of these sites. Mopars have many irregularities, asking questions will save you time and aggravation.

Ask away I was in the same boat 3 years ago and am still asking questions. This is a great group and these guys hold a wealth of knowledge, and willing to share.

Only real difference between a 413 and a 440 is the size of the slug. And a BUNCH of cost difference when it comes to buying pistons for a 413 ($$$) versus a 440 ($). Both are RB blocks.

As mentioned above, there are errors that have been documented for nearly 35 years in the 1966 and 1967 factory service manuals. The '66 361 is "F", while the 383 is "G" and the 440 is "L". What is shown in the '66 manuals for 273 through 440 is incorrect.

That is a dangerous statement. The 440 is a "raised block" design.
A lot of things are not interchangeable as that statement may imply.
The 413 is also a RB "Raised Block". The only difference is the pistons. I've personally rebuilt 413's and used every part from a 440 except those pistons.

The 383 is a B "Low Block". There are many differences between parts on a B block and a RB block.

For the record and my opinion only, some 400 blocks are really good for re- building, not all slugs as some think. And you may run across a 383 RB or a350B, but not often. And you may run across a 413 max wedge in ads, but often they are run of the mill wedge heads listed by folks that don't know the difference. Do your own research. You may find just the rose in a bunch of thorns you are lookin for.

Well one thing is for sure - I now know at least *something* about the venerable 413 the Beach Boys sung about in Shut Down. And I'm relieved that the manual was wrong in this instance. Sure did spin me up, though. :D

As to my 'pest' comment, I mainly didn't want to come across as the new guy who has something to say every 5.3 minutes, searches the 'net for things to repost, and such. A buddy and I run an AM Radio site where we deal with plenty of exuberant newbies who are thrilled with their new hobby, and also the occasional one looking for a platform from which to draw attention to himself. Just wanted to make sure that "See my new tricycle" doesn't come across as "See me! See me!".

BTW, spoke with the seller today to firm up shipping of the car. He mentioned that he had a surprise for me that he was throwing in: a new 1966 Chrysler/Imperial Service Manual. I thanked him profusely but didn't see any reason to bring up my 413 'finding' from the digital version.

hotdog, you are dead on about the resources available on the 'net. Started using it back in the 90s in a previous life when my work required long hours and travel. Antique radios are a hobby of mine and I can remember fewer than a dozen sites on the 'net. Too many to count, now.

Thanks again, guys.

Hey fella's....you all know that a 400 has .040" bigger diameter pistons than a 440. You develop a lot of power with a 400 and can get 512 cubes out of one pretty easy.

Back