427 Chevette!

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes I said Chevette and I don't hate it! Check out the video and note that they never really get on it.
http://bringatrailer.com/2014/10/03/super-sleeper-427-powered-1978-chevrolet-chevette/

image.jpg

image.jpg

The ONLY thing I admire is the "sleeper"persona and that's it. Probably give 440 Dart a run for the money.

I want that car! I'd put some meatier tires under it, but that would be about it. Black cars are a ***** to get right, and this one is a beauty!

Not a C body - you get one (1) demerit. Otherwise, it's pretty damn cool! I knew a guy who stuffed a 454 in a Chevy Luv back in the day...

I'm normally not a big fan of things like this but have a great respect for the quality with which it was done right down to the tip of that factory looking exhaust pipe.

I respect the vision and execution of the project (well done classic sleeper), but it does nothing for me.

I like it. I put a 400 sbc in a s-10 pu that was a fun truck, sold it, now my wife wears it on her finger. I got better mileage out of her.

I loved it, sounds great but with the skinny tires useless. It would never hookup

Somewhat interesting, I was talking with a brother in law that used to race the Chevette cars on the oval dirt tracks. He had one engine, a modified Chevette engine, pull 347 hp on a dyno. Nothing reliable of course. The crank was machined down to nothing, the block had sleeves in it to run giant pistons, and the head was ported. The class he ran in required a stock carb. They would machine it out & install a bigger butterfly, jets etc. Other mods included using an automatic flywheel with a small disc put on it. This became a lightened flywheel.

My wife had this same car when we were first married. I quickly traded it in for a nice v-8 Monza which she liked much more
.I can appreciate the work he put into it.
I like this car,but after about 5 minutes of tire smoke it would bore me .

Somewhat interesting, I was talking with a brother in law that used to race the Chevette cars on the oval dirt tracks. He had one engine, a modified Chevette engine, pull 347 hp on a dyno. Nothing reliable of course. The crank was machined down to nothing, the block had sleeves in it to run giant pistons, and the head was ported. The class he ran in required a stock carb. They would machine it out & install a bigger butterfly, jets etc. Other mods included using an automatic flywheel with a small disc put on it. This became a lightened flywheel.

Another good trick is flip the 1-2 lever and only put I 2nd and 4th 2, speed manual. When I was in the Navy we would go to Cajon speedway, the best racing was the bomber class and the 4cyl class lot of 2.0 ford engines dominated from what I remember.

Back