440 stock head horseshoe or U shaped port....

kenfyoozed

Reaction score
What is the horseshoe or U shaped port that is around the hear riser port? I am in the middle of blocking off the heat riser and when I pulled the valley pan I could see into this horseshoe port better. And I am sure some of you have seen this before, but the dang ports are stuffed with acorns and bits of other stuff. Where do these ports lead and what is the best way to clean these out?

I don't think they lead anywhere, they are simply there to allow the heat to reach its destination easier (meaning the bottom of the carb) If they weren't there, the rest of the head would act like a heat sink and take forever for the crossover to heat up, which would of course be counterintuitive. Just take a screwdriver or pick and the shop vac and you'll have that area clean in no time.

Yes, the "horseshoe" leads nowhere. The air in the horseshoe insulates the cylinder head from the fierce exhaust heat that's passing through the heat riser passage, otherwise we'd be cooking oil in that valve spring area under the valve cover.

Not only are acorn bits found in there, usually you'll find assorted carb parts like spring clips and cotter pins, small nuts and washers.....there's a half century of parts in there!

Last edited:
Back