5 3/4" LED Headlights that try to look stock

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Found this and it looks interesting. Cost is abit steep and I will wait to see next year if it comes down in price or there are other entries to the market. 24 watts for each light so less than 100 watts for high beams. This is on a Mustang sight but one of the reviews was from a guy that owns a 71 Fury GT and said they are great. With lights like these our wiring harness is more than good enough. Check it out.

Mustang Headlight Kit LED 5-3/4" 1969

LEDs. . .
The latest and greatest Must-Have beause they are so cool looking, man.
Biggest money waster for the ghetto-bois to come along since Dubs. . .
Next will be LED lamps with 150,000 color blinking halos.

They are made in China, folks. With ZERO quality control.

Found this and it looks interesting. Cost is abit steep and I will wait to see next year if it comes down in price or there are other entries to the market. 24 watts for each light so less than 100 watts for high beams. This is on a Mustang sight but one of the reviews was from a guy that owns a 71 Fury GT and said they are great. With lights like these our wiring harness is more than good enough. Check it out.

Mustang Headlight Kit LED 5-3/4" 1969

Id like to see them in action. While at the Fall Carlisle show this weekend there were some vendors selling LEDs. I would like to see them on a car, at night, high and lows

These don't have halo's or blinky's . I think they are an attempt to look stock with the efficiency of LED's. But I have never seen LED head lights in person. Time will tell how good or bad they are.

I am not into fads Commando and I think I am more like you than you think. I am very unwilling to change over really anything on my Fury. For example I still run points and don't have headers and run a 1406 Eddy even though many said to "upgrade to the new world". Some of my buddies still give me **** for the points. But what interests me about the whole LED thing is efficiency. I would frankly not want to cut up the head light harness and put in relays to make my Edison head lights brighter because of the antiquated wiring system in many of our cars. Also the full load on my headlight switch which I believe to be made of unobtainium for my car. I would rather everything stay the same and happy. So when there is an option on the horizon to get more light with half the load on the electrical system I am at least interested. Not arguing with you and I have great respect for you and your knowledge,,

I'm not against LED lighting. My most recent new car purchase has ". . . wiper activated adaptive HID headlights" Huh, WTF?
And every other lamp inside and out is LED. Damn. We're talking a 12 hundred dollar replacement tail light assembly.
Fluck that. I bought the 10 year Platinum Factory Extended Warranty Plan.
My knowledge ends in the mid nineties. lol
So, do I really want to drag my NYB into 2016 technology ? Hell no.

some of the equipment we use at work have those aftermarket led head lights, light output is ok (not that great) and seeing them when they are coming at you is blinding, even if they are aimed properly, just like aftermarket HIDs in stock incandescent housing...

Last edited:
Think I'll just save my pennies for the Cree 5 3/4" lamps, which run roughly $40 each on eBay, and have excellent quality. Given the price, I'll save my $ SLOW, in hope of this stuff dropping in price. I like LED light quality in general, and love the low current demand.

Screenshot_20161003-083300.png

My biggest issue, and this is huge, is that this aftermarket stuff is coming out of China and it is pure crap.

And it really pisses me off when Jose Ghettoboi who doesnt have a job spends 500 bucks of his granny's SSI check on this crap to put on his $1,000 POS Honda needing $5,000 worth of work.

Sorry. . . I keep wanting to Make America Great Again. :(
This election is really messing with my head.

That mustang kit, in picture is Hella head lights, those should be good. I will install Hella on my car also. But i install H4 bulbs with relays. HIDs are too modern and probably too bright, so other people will get blinded. Leds... way too expensive.

I am not into fads Commando and I think I am more like you than you think. I am very unwilling to change over really anything on my Fury. For example I still run points and don't have headers and run a 1406 Eddy even though many said to "upgrade to the new world". Some of my buddies still give me **** for the points. But what interests me about the whole LED thing is efficiency. I would frankly not want to cut up the head light harness and put in relays to make my Edison head lights brighter because of the antiquated wiring system in many of our cars. Also the full load on my headlight switch which I believe to be made of unobtainium for my car. I would rather everything stay the same and happy. So when there is an option on the horizon to get more light with half the load on the electrical system I am at least interested. Not arguing with you and I have great respect for you and your knowledge,,

I installed relays, and H4 headlights in my car with a kit from Daniel Stern. No cutting necessary. Big improvement.

I installed relays, and H4 headlights in my car with a kit from Daniel Stern. No cutting necessary. Big improvement.

Does he have a website? Also is there a pic of the installation?

Thanks

Does he have a website? Also is there a pic of the installation?

Thanks
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Here is his website. He does not post any details in regards to wiring in his relays, nor does he post any part numbers for any pieces in his kit.

The kit inludes 2 relays, 2 male plugs that plug into the the factory female plugs, 2 female plugs that plug into the headlights, various connectors
etc.

His kit is high quality, and he charges accordingly. My guess is that he does not show much detail on his website, to avoid people sourcing the compnents more cheaply.

I have attached a wiring diagram of my own that I made when I installed my kit.

IMG_5333.JPG

I would frankly not want to cut up the head light harness and put in relays to make my Edison head lights brighter because of the antiquated wiring system in many of our cars. Also the full load on my headlight switch which I believe to be made of unobtainium for my car. I would rather everything stay the same and happy. So when there is an option on the horizon to get more light with half the load on the electrical system I am at least interested.
Your option has been here for awhile - the aftermarket relay harness kit, $20-30 at Summitracing and other places. You don't have to modify your factory wiring at all. You install the harness as a stand-alone, and run its 2 trigger wires into a high-low headlight connector, and shrink-wrap that connection as you see fit. I used to make these things myself years ago, spent 2-3 hours routing, cutting, terminating, looming, but no more. I've used several kits from different vendors and all worked A1 for me.

Also - adding relays, if done properly, reduces the load thru your headlight switch. It cuts the load on your headlight switch circuit down to ~1/2 amp to trigger the relay, and whatever amps your lights formerly pulled thru the bulkhead and ammeter are eliminated too, of course.

No matter "watt" lighting system you choose---HID,LED or Halogen bulbs,they are NFG without aiming the lights after any conversion.
On the 300,I use a Putco wire harness with Hella H4 housings with PIAA halogen bulbs.
After Aiming the lights,they throw the light much better.
The wagon has HID's and are my favourite.

newfie 2016 300 lites 160.JPG

newfie 2016 300 lites 159.JPG

newfie 2016 300 lites 161.JPG

I have HIDs on my truck.....they suck
Some O.E/factory HID systems do suck.
Here's my gist on all systems that I had played with..
Good halogen H4 bulbs that have an equivalent of 80/100 watt work very well and do throw the light in front of the car the longest distance and are very bright.
HID's are even brighter but do have a cut off line where the light ends and is a shorter ditance in front of the car.
LED's are efficient but have the shortest throw of all three. Brighter? Yes.
But any better on a country side road no street lights?? not really.

Footnote;
I learned also that any Mopar with the factory Headlamp Delay Relay will not work correctly with any headlamp upgrade that has any relays included. This can cause havoc especially if the car has hideaway headlamp doors.
The 70 Charger I worked on I have to remove the Putco harness & relays since there was not enough load/resistance on the headlamp delay relay causing the lights to be on ALL THE TIME when key is turned on with the headlight doors CLOSED.
FYI

Good halogen H4 bulbs that have an equivalent of 80/100
Lea, those are illegal as all hell in the U.S. Don't know about up there.
I installed 80/100s awhile back. Had to remove them after a week.
Even on LO BEAMS, I was blinding the oncoming cars and they were all giving me the HI BEAM back.
On HI BEAM, the projection overshot the path.
Terrible stuff for everyday use.
And yes, the lamps were aligned.

Back