65 Steering Column Coupling Shield Question

65CopCar

Reaction score
In final stages of my restoration - 65 Fury I 2 door cop car. Built in fall of 1964.

Anyone have opinions if the steering rubber coupling shield should be held on with a clamp, clamp and screws or just screws? My 65 parts manual from late 1964 shows a part number 2461 044. March 1966 manual shows part# 2768 255 and says Shield, Steering Column Coupling, Screw Mounting, and then lists a number below it for a clamp. The early parts book just says Shield, Steering Column Coupling.

Right now I have 2 screws in it. Is that original enough or should it have the large spring holding it in?

My buddy has an almost identical car and his has 2 screws only - but again, not sure if that is correct or not.

You can see what I have have currently in the attached picture.

cover.JPG

65's covers were held on with a Corbin clam, and from all reports are a PITA to service. At some point, it was switched.

66s had 3 phillips head screws, and while more serviceable, the screws are still a PITA.

I see you've got the Leece Neville regulator. Can you please post (or pm me) some detailed pictures of it, its mounting bracket, and the alternator and its bracket? I'm very interested in it, as it's the first I've seen.

65's covers were held on with a Corbin clam, and from all reports are a PITA to service. At some point, it was switched.

66s had 3 phillips head screws, and while more serviceable, the screws are still a PITA.

I see you've got the Leece Neville regulator. Can you please post (or pm me) some detailed pictures of it, its mounting bracket, and the alternator and its bracket? I'm very interested in it, as it's the first I've seen.

Ross - any idea on the difference in the part numbers between the early build and later part numbers? If it were yours, would you leave it as or put the Corbin clamp on it? We had a an original Corbin clamp on it but it broke. I do have another used one that is not in fantastic shape. Don't know if its a standard size or not - its a bit inaccessible at the moment - still on the column hanging in my basement ceiling.

Oh that Leece Neville alternator and brackets........... What fun it was!

My great uncle bought the car at auction in 1966. 13k miles. 3 speed manual on the column manual steering. When I was a wee lad, I watched him convert it to an automatic, power steering and move the alternator from the original location to what we would consider a conventional location. With that he threw out all but 2 of the brackets. I searched for years, and never found a set. I was very fortunate that he kept the original alternator.

Extremely fortunate that Sharon (from Sharon's seat belts) restored some seat belts for an almost identical car. I was able to make contact with the owner and was able to look at his car twice. He was an absolute godsend. I had no idea that my car was to have a black steering wheel (anyone need a NOS tan steering wheel for a 65 Plymouth?), along with other details I would never have known about. He car was mostly unmolested. I took rough measurements and from that made the brackets. Made all but one.

I was able to find a picture of the main idler bracket on the web - it was a spam site. But from the picture I scaled it best I could and that started all the dimensions for all the other brackets. Setup uses 2 idler pulleys, but the water pump one is the same as the newer AC idlers.

Could not find anyone really interested in rebuilding that alternator. That was probably a good thing. Ultimately I spent quite a bit on used alternator parts that I did not need, but it was an education. I learned a lot about these alternators, and consider myself almost an expert now. I can help anyone that needs help with one of these. I now have a spare alternator and many good spare parts. Bought a Leece Nrville parts book on ebay and that was a big help. Pretty much has my alternator but its a 65 amp in the book instead of my 60 amp. Basically the exact same alternator.

The alternator pretty much now has all new parts with the exception of the front and back brackets. Ultimately once I figured out what I needed, I was able to locate new rotors, stators, diodes, etc. Bought some plastic insulators, but made the ones I could not buy. Also made the pulleys and the data plate. It all came out pretty good.

The alternators in 65 were rated 60 amp, but they morphed into, 65, 70, 105 amps and maybe even more. Most of the parts interchange if you know what to look for. They also came in 130 amp but the use thicker diode heat sinks.

I will post a bunch of pictures shortly. I started restoration in 1996 and gave it to a resto shop about 10 years ago to finish. Just about ready to come home. Been a long 25 years.........

Some pics. Included, the bearing as I found it when I took it apart, the original cover and the new ones I made, grinding the slip rings, insulators I made, etc. The spare alternator has a newer style back cover - mine is rare and could not find another one. Cosmetic difference only.

IMG_6628.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

Thanks!

A couple more pics. The last pic is of an original bracket setup. I really wanted to cast the main bracket and had a foundry lined up to do it, but ultimately it was more than I chew off right now, so I machined it. I tried to make wooden patterns, and that did not work. I ran out of patience to try a different approach.

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6408.JPG

IMGP1052.JPG

Wow, awesome pictures! Thank you!!

EDIT - what's the round dot on the dash pad to the left of the speedo hump?

Regarding the column coupler shield - in my PDF of the USA 1966 Parts Catalogue, the shield for the rubber steering coupler still lists it as having a clamp

19-15-111
Shield - Steering Column Coupling 2768 255
Clamp - Steering Column Coupling 870469

My print copy (Canadian), lists the shield the exact same way but also has a listing for the mounting screws, but specifies their use for Tilt/Tele columns only.
Screw - Shield, w/Tilt & Tele Steering 9413 268

FWIW, ALL 66s I've ever seen hands on had the screws, no clamp. Regular column, or Tilt/Tele. I've seen a number of 65s with the clamp.

Interestingly, my PDF version of the USA 1965 Parts Catalogue show the same group and sub group for the column coupler shield, but lists it as follows, with no number for the screws at all:

19-15-111
Shield - Steering Column Coupling, Screw Mounting 2768 255
Clamp - Clamp Mounting Shield 870469

I don't get it!!

FWIW, our '66 Newport had the shield and short Phllips head screws. The shield had a locating tang to correctly position it on the column. Needed to remove it for #7 spark plug changes, so just left it off. No problems with the coupling. Kept the screws. It was an early production car, one of the first '66s delivered to the dealer in late '65, for show date.

Looking at the Leece Neville stuff pictures - I see that the regulator is mounted on the same black bracket that my VR is mounted on for my 66 Monaco 440 4-speed car, also on the inner fender rather than the firewall as regular cars got.

Long story - but suffice to say, my car was police spec'd for charging and was either equipped with the Leece Neville setup at 65 Amps, or the highest rated standard alternator 59 Amps. Turns out it was not the Leece Neville - read on...

The main power feed to the Amp gauge bypasses the bulkhead and goes straight through the firewall with its own hole, fitted on the firewall with terminal blocks and multiple fusible links, rather than running through the bulkhead connector. It got the fender mounted VR (adjustable), using the same bracket yours has. From all reports, the 59 amp alternator from the original owner got the adjustable VR as per RCMP cars.

When I first got the car, the adjustable VR was long gone, and a regular one was in its place. I could never figure out why it didn't mount right on that bracket. When I found my first adjustable, I put it up to the bracket and its holes lined up perfectly. Bingo - no doubt it was for the adjustable.

Red Dodge Pics 008.jpg

FWIW, here's a pic of the Leece Neville setup in a 66 Coronet (I think) with a factory 440. This was at Desert Valley in AZ a while back. I tried to buy the charging setup, but I was given the run around, and the car disappeared. You can see the wacky mounting brackets as used with AC as well, and the VR is on the firewall behind the air cleaner. There's some sort of stiffening brace that runs from the top of the alternator to the intake manifold, and what looks like a major grounding cable, in addition to the battery negative cable which is sitting on the air cleaner.

That's the ONLY Leece Neville setup I've ever seen prior to yours, and of course, it's not a C Body anyhow, AND it's an AC car, so all that bracketry stuff could likely be quite different.

upload_2021-2-24_22-47-59.png

Great work & pics on the L-N alternator & VR, something I've heard of but never seen before. I did look at my dealer hard copy parts book & can add nothing to previous comments by Ross. Your custom work is great, so glad you're trying to keep this car original & converted back to the manual & 3-speed. Does the car have a 383HP? Not sure if they came with dual or single exhaust as shown.

Much of the stuff isn't directly applicable to your car but another guy here has a survivor 65 Coronet with 383 3-speed.
Not a C but very bizarre...65 Coronet 383HP 3-speed for sale in PA

FWIW, here's a pic of the Leece Neville setup in a 66 Coronet (I think) with a factory 440. This was at Desert Valley in AZ a while back. I tried to buy the charging setup, but I was given the run around, and the car disappeared. You can see the wacky mounting brackets as used with AC as well, and the VR is on the firewall behind the air cleaner. There's some sort of stiffening brace that runs from the top of the alternator to the intake manifold, and what looks like a major grounding cable, in addition to the battery negative cable which is sitting on the air cleaner.

That's the ONLY Leece Neville setup I've ever seen prior to yours, and of course, it's not a C Body anyhow, AND it's an AC car, so all that bracketry stuff could likely be quite different.

View attachment 441506

That is cool! So that is probably a 65 or 70 amp alternator. You can see it has the newer style back bracket (like my spare in the pics above). The original one I have was a short run and I have not found another one. The newer style are plentiful. They went with the newer style so that you could mount a voltage regulator to the back of the alternator. Not all used the piggy back voltage regulator, but you could add it to these alternators.

And this one has an electronic voltage regulator.............

Last edited:
Great work & pics on the L-N alternator & VR, something I've heard of but never seen before. I did look at my dealer hard copy parts book & can add nothing to previous comments by Ross. Your custom work is great, so glad you're trying to keep this car original & converted back to the manual & 3-speed. Does the car have a 383HP? Not sure if they came with dual or single exhaust as shown.

Much of the stuff isn't directly applicable to your car but another guy here has a survivor 65 Coronet with 383 3-speed.
Not a C but very bizarre...65 Coronet 383HP 3-speed for sale in PA

I actually saw that car when it was for sale. I think it is supper cool, but I have absolutely no room for another car.......

My car is a 383 2 barrel, single exhaust. It is the low hp version. My buddy has an almost identical car and his is a hp version - 4 barrel, automatic dual exhaust.

Back