'66 440 tnt

66TC

Reaction score
Planning on rebuilding my 440 TNT engine (nummers matching).
I've read that they didn't use special parts is 66 for these engines.
What color should it be? I think it was light blue or something like that. Definitely not red like in the brochure.
Is there something else that I have to look at (like special parts)?

The original carter afb carburator is still on the engine.

I've rebuild it but it makes a voice like a trumpet when I take my foot off the gas? I think something with a vacuum.

I have to ship them to Europe.

Thanks,
Martyx

Just one 440 for a '66 Chrysler, no TNT until '67.

All the big block B and RB engines were turquoise until '69 when the HP 383s and HP 440s went to Hemi orange.

I think there may have been a TNT package for '66,it consisted of a dual snorkel air cleaner & dual exhaust,360 horsepower.

I prefer learning new things without having put my foot in my mouth first, but I coincidentally came accross this '66 300 on Ebay last night... Ummmm.... :tard:

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

According to The Encyclopedia of American Cars, which, admittedly is not universally reliable, the only 440 option for Chrysler in 1966 was the 350hp 440. In 1967, they offered a 350hp standard on the 300 and New Yorker (optional on wagons), and offered a 375hp option on all Chryslers except wagons.

Interestingly, Dodge and Imperial got the same engines, but Plymouth got 365hp in 1966 and then moved to the 350/375 options in 1967.

Again, assuming this source is correct.

I prefer learning new things without having put my foot in my mouth first, but I coincidentally came accross this '66 300 on Ebay last night... Ummmm.... :tard:

View attachment 21845
Yes the TNT existed in 66 and that's what the pie tin decal looked like. Internals/ exhaust manifolds were the same. In the Imperial it was claimed to put out 360 hp vice 350hp in a single snorkel, single exhaust set up. I'm not positive on Chrysler claims for it.

Hi,
I've done some homework now and found out that there was indeed a 1966 TNT package. It included factory dual exhaust (not standard from the factory on the 'normal' 440) and a dual snorkel air cleaner just like the picture shown.
Chrysler started in '67 with a different cam for the TNT package, so my '66 engine is just a 'normal' 440. It's a pity that I don't have the original air cleaner anymore, one of the previous owners has taken it off. This is a very special '66 only air cleaner with round snorkels like you can see in the pic.

I have also started the same thread on the drydock forum, and they are still not sure which color it should be. I've collected some pictures of 1966 440 TNTs (found out that they are rare), and all the engines are painted turquoise.
I couldn't find out which heads are used on the '66 440s. anybody knows? should be closed-chamber heads right?

66engineTNT.jpg

66engineTNT.jpg

Back