66 Chrysler 300 - 440 Engine Options

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I recently looked at a '66 Chrysler 300 that has the 'J' code in the VIN. All the decoders I found to decode the VIN and the fender tag indicate the car has the 440 TNT 365 HP engine. However, upon examining the car, I observed it has a single exhaust system, no viscous fan and no 26" radiator. The engine ID stamped on the pad at the top of the block near the distributor reveals: 'B 440' and a couple of other stamps (a '3' and a '1' - I think). There was no tell-tale 'HP' stamping present. It appears to me this car was ordered with a standard 440 Four Barrel (350 HP) - and NOT the TNT engine - despite the presence of the 'J' code in the VIN. I was not aware the standard 440 was available in '66 on the 300. I thought that if the 440 engine was ordered, it would be a TNT.

Any of you guys have anything to add to my analysis? And while you're at it, what is the real difference between the 365 HP and the 350HP engines in '66? Is the cam different, compression ratio, etc.? I don't think so. . .

Really can't help you here Rip, but I am interested in what the guys have to say.

I did think I read, at some point, you could get a non TNT 440 in '66, but I have nothing to backup that claim.

Screenshot_20160920-115116.png

This is the '66 Plymouth engine chart. A standard 440 is available for Fury Wagon, with less compression and different cam, similar to the 383 2vs4 barrel. So yes, it was possible to get a 440 non-HP in '66.

According to the white book J was the only 440 in '66 so you'd have to see the engine code on the fender tag to determine which one was ordered.

It's also possible that the 440 HP blew up and a dealer put in a non-HP warranty block.

Well, according to the commercial they had 3 engine options. Maybe a faux pas from the factory or motor swapped out at sometime in it's life???

It's also possible that the 440 HP blew up and a dealer put in a non-HP warranty block.

Yes. I thought of this too, but the car has single exhaust and none of the other TNT HP equipment, etc. Until I saw the engine pad stampings, I was almost sure the car had a 383 engine. . .

I looked at the dealer stuff for the 66 300. The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1966 Chrysler Dealership Data Book - 300

I don't think that the 26" radiator and viscous fan were part of the 365/440 package.

The dual exhaust could be explained away very simply as it was a cheaper replacement or possibly the only replacement available. A look underneath the car might show where the hangers for the other pipes were.

I don't put much faith in the HP stamp no matter what year, but is there good proof that they even used the stamp back in 66? I have no idea one way or the other.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was no internal differences between the 350 and 365 engines anyway. In fact, the extra 15 hp could be explained away by the carb, dual snorkel air cleaner and exhaust.

Remember, in '66 there was no additional 440 "HP" 375 horse variant. That didn't come on the scene until '67. The '66 365 horse TNT was the 'high performance' engine. http://www.hamtramck-historical.com.../1966/66_Chrysler_Features_Equipment_0019.jpg

This would be the optional engine for the '66 300.

A 22" radiator would be standard without High Altitude or A/C.
I can't speak to the exhaust.

Terms changed year to year.

View attachment 93866
This is the '66 Plymouth engine chart. A standard 440 is available for Fury Wagon, with less compression and different cam, similar to the 383 2vs4 barrel. So yes, it was possible to get a 440 non-HP in '66.

Thanks a lot for finding that chart. Looks like a 300 with the same 440 engine that was available in a New Yorker was also available in the 300. I would bet the cam and maybe the valve springs are different in that motor, but the compression ratio was probably the same as the TNT and the 383 four barrel engines.

Thanks a lot for finding that chart. Looks like a 300 with the same 440 engine that was available in a New Yorker was also available in the 300. I would bet the cam and maybe the valve springs are different in that motor, but the compression ratio was probably the same as the TNT and the 383 four barrel engines.

The chart is not correct for '66. The 375 horse 440 did not appear until '67

I looked at the dealer stuff for the 66 300. The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1966 Chrysler Dealership Data Book - 300

I don't think that the 26" radiator and viscous fan were part of the 365/440 package.

The dual exhaust could be explained away very simply as it was a cheaper replacement or possibly the only replacement available. A look underneath the car might show where the hangers for the other pipes were.

I don't put much faith in the HP stamp no matter what year, but is there good proof that they even used the stamp back in 66? I have no idea one way or the other.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was no internal differences between the 350 and 365 engines anyway. In fact, the extra 15 hp could be explained away by the carb, dual snorkel air cleaner and exhaust.

Thanks, John. You could be right in that someone put a single exhaust system on the car when the original dual exhaust system rotted away. I would never commit such a horror, but some people would. Oh. . . And I should have mentioned the engine does have a dual snorkel air cleaner on it with a "440 Four Barrel" sticker on top.

Thanks, John. You could be right in that someone put a single exhaust system on the car when the original dual exhaust system rotted away. I would never commit such a horror, but some people would. Oh. . . And I should have mentioned the engine does have a dual snorkel air cleaner on it with a "440 Four Barrel" sticker on top.
If you look in your FSM on page 9-29, it shows the cam timing for the available engines 9-30 shows the valve lift and 9-31 shows the spring specs.

It shows two cams, one for the 383 2bbl and one for 383 and 440 4bbl engines. Valve diameter is the same across the board. and only one compression ratio listed for the 440.

While you have the FSM out, look on 11-2, fig 2. See the detail "A"? That's the piece that should be there if your car had duals when new.

Go a little farther back into the fuel system and it shows that they only used one carb, the AFB with some variations for automatic/manual and CAP.

So... I would say that internally, the 350 hp motor and the 365 hp motors are the same.

If you look in your FSM on page 9-29, it shows the cam timing for the available engines 9-30 shows the valve lift and 9-31 shows the spring specs.

It shows two cams, one for the 383 2bbl and one for 383 and 440 4bbl engines. Valve diameter is the same across the board. and only one compression ratio listed for the 440.

While you have the FSM out, look on 11-2, fig 2. See the detail "A"? That's the piece that should be there if your car had duals when new.

Go a little farther back into the fuel system and it shows that they only used one carb, the AFB with some variations for automatic/manual and CAP.

So... I would say that internally, the 350 hp motor and the 365 hp motors are the same.

John:

Thank you so much for doing all this leg work. When I get home, I'll dig into my FSM to look at those items.

The chart is not correct for '66. The 375 horse 440 did not appear until '67
Hmmm. You're right. I thought that was the right one for '66 too. I think I have it in the flesh somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in '66 a "G" meant 383 - any 383, standard, Hi-Po, whatever. If I'm right, wouldn't it stand to be the same case for the 440? One letter, multiple possibilities? If so, that would explain the single exhaust, etc.

Back