68 Fury Conv. 999 paint question

sportsuburban

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to this site but not C-bodies (have too many to count). Now that my Monaco will be close to done by spring I'm looking at the next project. Car is in very bad shape so it is going to take years.

Car is a 68 Fury III conv, 383HP with factory 4-speed, A/C and of all things 999 paint. Problem is I'm not sure what color original paint was. From what I can find in "hidden" places it appears to be very close to Turbine Bronze. The strange thing is that this color appears to be created as a 2-layer paint job - a gold color with a reddish maroon on top. All modern versions of the color are one layer. Even Dupont etc. paint codes form the period are one color only.

I can fond no other info on any 68 Fury's that came in Turbine Bronze or 999 paint for that matter. Obviously I'd like to keep the car as original as I can since it appears to be rather rare.

Any help with 999 paint or how Turbine Bronze was originally sprayed is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Scott

The 999 code was for any special order paint, you will need to do your own forensics to determin what the color was or the paint scheme. The color could include a standard color that wasn't available on that model.

Alan

thanks for the quick replies. I've checked the original paint charts for 68 Mopar and others and only find Turbine Bronze as close. I can some non-Mopar paint jobs that did have 2 layers but nothing close to this bronze/gold/red color that I have.

I sprayed a sample of PPG Deltron in Turbine Bronze and it just does not have the color or depth of what I've got. Close but not.

I'll try and get a picture later today when I get out to the shop.

Scott

The 999 code can be found on many special order cars. I once owned a 1969 A12 Road Runner that was Alpine white and had the 999 paint code. I also special ordered a new 69 A12 Road Runner and specified "Bronze fire metallic" and the paint code on the tag was T5.

I don't believe there were any two stage factory colors in 68. The Turbine Bronze was a signature color for many Furys through the mid to late 60's and very attractive. A special "buffed" paint could be ordered which may explane the 999 code.

One advantage to that paint code is that if the car is totally stripped you can paint it any color you choose off the 68 paint chart and be correct.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Back