68 Newport with twist

And inner fender and inside of bumper cleaned and sealed in undercoat. Not too many nasty jobs like that to do.

20190730_171202.jpg

Under side of hood sprayed with semi gloss black. Going to put a pad on it so didn't want it to stand out. Rest of engine compartment will be body color. Top of hood may get blacked out as well. Picked out and picked up body paint.Kind of bright but why be dull.

20190803_161925.jpg

Your just going to tease us or are you going to show us the body color???

Do I require a trigger warning for Porsche color?
I honestly dont have a sample but it is dark blue metallic single stage. Should have some spraying tomorrow.

Do I require a trigger warning for Porsche color?
I honestly dont have a sample but it is dark blue metallic single stage. Should have some spraying tomorrow.
No warning needed. Color wise,It is a custom build so go nuts and to hell what others think about the color.

In regards to the single stage paint,my experience was it is only 50.00 cheaper compared to the base/CLEAR paint.
Single stage is getting harder to get as well. Some shops will only sell paint to body shops and not to the public.
BTW,the tint of the single stage will be different compared to base/clear.
I ended up doing base/clear on the jams and doors on my car.
To me while i was painting my car,the end result was far better than trying to save what was a small difference.
My 2 cents.

Appreciate the input. Have sprayed a few things with a fairly wide range of materials so decided this way for a few reasons.
It's a Nason urethane product that I have used on chassis work. Quite tough and great finish
Ease of spray time. Time/space restrains means the single shot is just simpler and quicker. I also want to spray in sections....prespraying jambs and edges...to then spray whole body at a later date. That's trickier with b/c.
Ease of touch up. B/C is hard to blend back and usually require whole panel spray.
Costs were 2x to do base clear.
Tinter was confident on color and it looks great on can and fingerspot.
B/c can also be a bit reactive with older finishes beneath it. More time and costs in sealers.
So that's why I am where I am. I do want ease of maintenance on this vehicle when done so some finishes will be decided that way....like....semigloss underhood.
Thanks for taking the time and thought on the input.

Last edited:
Got to do some clean fun tasks of installing firewall components while its easy to get at. Tucked washer nozzles under regular mount and bent till they lined up to work. Washer bottle and pump are already in trunk so hose routing into cab is cleaner. Washer is ammo box with a pump and vent attached.
Painted hood springs as well.

20190809_163359.jpg

20190809_163242.jpg

Love the Corvair. My dad had a 62 sedan and my best friends dad had a 4 spd Monza similar to the one you photographed. That car was cool!

Steering box cleaned up.....orings replaced...rattle can rebuild. Booster as well. Hood and springs on......still have all fingers. Bent up some lines for flaring tonight.

20190818_154132.jpg

20190818_154006.jpg

Started cleaning up oil pan for paint. Have come to really like the original turquoise color so will do engine in that color. Dont like painted in bolts so will paint component seperately and use ss button head fasteners.
Any idea what the 187 stamped in it represents?

20190825_154931.jpg

20190825_154936.jpg

Was (foolishly) hoping to leave lower control arms in place. And then found the pass side is seized. So spent afternoon removing arms and torsion bars. Turns out to have bad bushings as well
Pleasantly surprised how easy and easily things came apart. No pics except this shot. What are the little brackets attaching trans/torsion crossmember to floorpans. There is one on each side....and both are cut. ? Ideas?

20190825_153444.jpg

Back