'68 Polara wagon tailgate glass problem

70DartMike

Reaction score
On this '68 Polara I've acquired, the tailgate glass is stuck down. I'd love to get it go wind up and down so every time it rains it doesn't just flood the back of the car.

The switch up front has power. Pushing it down makes the motor click, pushing it up does nothing.

The glass doesn't move, can't manually pull it up. The glass is in the way of removing the regulator. The glass is bolted in at the bottom, but bolted in from the opposite side of the access panels.

The key doesn't turn the lock either way, but the manual slider works fine to open and shut the gate.

How can I get the glass up to remove the regulator to maintenance it?

Have you tested/traced the wires to make sure power is getting to the motor?

When I need to remove a gate/window on an inop I power the motor directly off a battery. There are limit switches at the top and bottom that may be messed up so powering directly eliminates all the car related issues.

The motors can rust up and may not move. Hope it does. Oil every slide, hinge, joint etc. you can. Put the gate down.be sure tracks are clear. Disconnect motor and power. Should be 3 wires, ground, up and down. Go easy the glass can move fast. Have somebody ready to support the glass. Note that the glass will only move with gate down if powered directly as there is a switch that cuts it out from the car switch. Once part way up you can disconnect the regulator and remove. May need to pull glass to remove regulator.

Got it sorted out. Pulled the tail lights to get access to the wiring, had power at the motor but still wouldn't move. Found out the limit switch was bad on the gate latch. Bypassed it, window would go up and down fine on it's own but once in the upper channel would only go up half way. Loosened the adjusters down below and let the window to all the way up, moving the lower channels where it wanted them. Tightened the lower channels, greased the regulator, gave the whole thing a good clean and grease, it works beautifully now.

Back