73 Imperial aka "Rusty"

@Moseman

The rear unit looks more like the rear window defogger or rear seat heater/window defroster rather than the A/C and the fender tag should have H54, but Rusty has H53.

Take John´s (@LeBaron1973) suggestion for reconsideration as the Imperial is not a total rust bucket.

We already know it’s fun to “bomb around in a beater Imperial” so just drive it around and enjoy it if you can.:thumbsup:

@Moseman

The rear unit looks more like the rear window defogger or rear seat heater/window defroster rather than the A/C and the fender tag should have H54, but Rusty has H53.

Take John´s (@LeBaron1973) suggestion for reconsideration as the Imperial is not a total rust bucket.

Yes, I agree, the PO stated rear air, and I took his word. I just picked it up, huled it to my shop, and put a cover over it. Had to get on a plane and head back to work. I have not even decoded the fender tag, you guys have! Good on you!

The rust you are inquiring about near the hinge mount is from salt water intrusion to the back or underside side of the panels, probably from road spray that got around the fender well. Once salt finds its way to a hidden area, it will keep rusting every time it is gotten wet. Paint helps to protect the outer surface of fenders etc, but there is not much protection on the inside of the panels. This car was in a salt rich enviornment and does not appear to have been protected with undercoating or other rust proofing. I agree with the previous post, this car was not restored 10 years ago, it was bondo repaired and painted.

Dave
One persons restoration is another's Bondo and repaint. Agree that is what was done.

Get a couple of cases of this stuff and fill in the holes and it might keep the rain out so you can "bomb" around in the Imp. Lol

Screenshot_20190328-092649_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for sharing pics and tag on this awesome sunroof car. I know you are probably salivating over some of the options and parts for your other builds and for generating revenue, but please exercise all options for finding a good home for this car before you get to that point. Thanks again! Scott - Mopar Sunroof Registry.

Yes. If you get any more wide angle pics to share that would be fun to see. And underbelly.

Get a couple of cases of this stuff and fill in the holes and it might keep the rain out so you can "bomb" around in the Imp. Lol

View attachment 273185
I have a 74 Imp 2 door with a little fuel system work I can "Roadkill" it around. Much more driveable than this. Besides, I have listed it elsewhere I will part out.

Living in three rust-free states for the majority of my life, it amazes me that salt is still used for Winter road maintenance, when sand is a far better material for keeping roads sanded and reasonably driveable. Seeing cars rusted like this is normal for a lot of you, and I can't imagine letting a car get to this point. Even with the sunroof and dual heater options, on my planet, it's a parts car. I'm happy you bought this Imperial and helping other '72-'73 owners, especially, get the bits to keep theirs on the road.

This was truly a beautiful car, when new.

Back