74 Monaco Coupe Project

I had to hit the connection points with some penetrating oil to get the lines from the valve to the master cylinder free. Even doing that I managed to sheer one off. There was brown sledge in both lines and both of the lines had a decent amount of rust once I cleaned off the surface. I'm going to stop by a few local places on Wednesday that may bend custom lines to match what you have. If that works out it'll save me dealing with shipping lines to Inline tube or some other out of town company.

Booster is all boxed up and ready to go out to Dewey Booster Exchange tomorrow.

brakevalve.JPG

Inline tube should have all the tubing for you. Only thing I’m unsure of is if they have it for a 2 door. I know they do for 4 doors. As mentioned if they don’t have it, they will make it for you from your originals.

I have a set of their fuel lines, that are pretty nice. Had to play and adjust them a little for install, but that’s to be expected. My brake lines were decent for the most part. A little soft about half way down the rocker panel going to the back. I just cut the bad off, and spliced in new line there going back to the diff. Don’t have any better pics of their stuff that I can find....

D607D4DD-D976-4A0E-BAC7-D080381A8F00.jpeg
AD65754E-EC7E-412C-A76F-83E72C66AD12.jpeg

Inline tube should have all the tubing for you. Only thing I’m unsure of is if they have it for a 2 door. I know they do for 4 doors. As mentioned if they don’t have it, they will make it for you from your originals.

I have a set of their fuel lines, that are pretty nice.

Do you remember if it was these parts? 75-78 Newport/NYer should be the same as a 74 Monaco as far as I know, but I don't know much.

vivaldi_2018-12-20_19-25-43.png

Turns out if I flip the page there are Monaco specific items, but fuel and transmission only, not brakes.
vivaldi_2018-12-20_19-34-14.png

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't those the big block hose part numbers, which would mean the upper goes to the wrong side and the lower would be too short and/or have the wrong angles?
They are for a big block. I assumed you had a 400. Do you have a small block?

If yours is a big block is the bottom hose on the passenger side?

I don't know what year it started but Formals changed the lower hose from the drivers side to the passenger side of the radiator.

My engine has the old style aluminum Hemi water pump and housing on the drivers side. My aluminum radiator has the bottom hose on the driver side too .

20180817_115114.jpg

Yeah, I have a 360 unfortunately. The upper radiator port is on the driver's side (no issue getting a perfect fit molded for that). The water pump outlet and lower radiator port is on the passenger side.

That's great news on the brake line set, I was beginning to dread that after wrecking a few attempts at bending my own.

Yeah, I have a 360 unfortunately. The upper radiator port is on the driver's side (no issue getting a perfect fit molded for that). The water pump outlet and lower radiator port is on the passenger side.

That's great news on the brake line set, I was beginning to dread that after wrecking a few attempts at bending my own.

Sorry about the confusion. I thought you had a 400.

Worst case they have the copper/nickel brake lines that are safe and easy to bend. Just make sure you have double flare ends.

Do you remember if it was these parts? 75-78 Newport/NYer should be the same as a 74 Monaco as far as I know, but I don't know much.

View attachment 238321

Turns out if I flip the page there are Monaco specific items, but fuel and transmission only, not brakes.
View attachment 238323

Honestly Idk.... I spoke, and ordered from them over the phone, just gave them the info then. I knew they had the fuel lines as a buddy on the Bluesmobile forum sent them his lines to use as a guide, and they had the templates from him. I’m pretty sure he sent in his brake lines as well, but again those would be for a 4 door.

They are nice folks to deal with. Deff worth a call.

With the wheel base for a 74 Monaco (2 or 4 door) being 122", shouldn't the brake lines or fuel lines be the same from Inlinetube?
I may replace the fuel lines on the 71 NYer. Both 2 and 4 door models, the wheel base is 124". Not sure what other difference there would be.

With the wheel base for a 74 Monaco (2 or 4 door) being 122", shouldn't the brake lines or fuel lines be the same from Inlinetube?
I may replace the fuel lines on the 71 NYer. Both 2 and 4 door models, the wheel base is 124". Not sure what other difference there would be.
The lines are different from year to year. You have to get the correct ones for your car.

I called Inline today and spoke with a guy named Dan. Checked what patterns they had available and said he wasn't confident enough in the patterns they have for a 74 Monaco to be willing to make a set of brake lines without me sending mine in to be copied.

Master cylinder to proportioning valve lines were sent off to Inline tube last week after I couldn't find anyone local to copy them. New ones will be back in my hand early next week.

New aftermarket radiator installed as documented in these threads:
Bending/adjusting lower radiator support 74 Monaco
74-78 Cold Case Radiator Install

The rest of my brake parts arrived this week including the rebuilt booster from Dewey's. It's pouring again and I'm putting on a fresh pot of coffee so I might have some more pictures and updates tonight.

Got the rebuilt booster from http://boosterdeweyexchange.com out this evening. They received mine around 12/28 and mailed it back on 1/9, which I thought was pretty quick. It looks great, has a new rubber boot, new check valve, and they even peeled the Mopar stickers off my original and sent the back.
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG

After bending in entirely unnatural ways I got it bolted back up. Tomorrow I'll try and get the pedal and switches attached.
IMG_1198.JPG

Somewhere in between last time I worked on the car and today I learned that line wrenches were a thing and bought a set of them. This let me get the brake valve off, although getting to the bottom line in the middle was miserable. If it turns out this thing is fine and I'm going to deeply regret the time I spent getting it off to clean it up and test it.
IMG_1197.JPG

On the bright side, when I pushed back the metal line covering to get the line wrenches on the actual brake lines looked pretty solid. I'm hoping I can avoid having to replace any of them.

That's all for today.

Back