Another "What's This Car Worth?" Thread

themechanic

Reaction score
I saw this posted on a local CL ad about 15 miles from me. They are asking $5,000.

I'm a B body guy lusting over C bodies. What do the C body experts think.

1967 Chrysler Newport

Newport.jpg

That was a Texas car. It was for sale down there for 5500.00, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure what the current owner paid for it but he was up on this board for a short time.
From the photos in the original ad, I'd have shown up with 5000 in my pocket and laid 4 of it on the table.
From these photos, I doubt much has been done to it other than the new sneakers. However, even though it's missing it's original console, I'd still show with 5000 in my pocket. Short of some heartbreaking dents, the car looks like a solid bet.

I don't think the price is crazy for a nice Coupe with some good options. That's based on original paint that isn't hiding anything and Oklahoma "small rust" being better than northern "rust bucket".

Keep in mind those concave panels are going to require some real skill and hours of labor to make straight. That's probably why the CL photos were taken from a military satellite.

But I don't think the ask is crazy for a solid car. I'll go $4250 Bob.

qrpGA.gif

I doubt that 4 grand will grab it, I would be willing to bet $ 4500 - 4700 would get it done. also it would depend on how well it runs & drives ..... Nice color combo .......

4k to 4500. Those rear quarters will take some good skill and patience. I could see what looks like black duct tape on top of the front passenger seat and also on the back seat at the top on both sides. The back bench seat also looks like there is black duct tape since it looks to be alot of wrinkles close to the middle and the rest is smooth. IMO:D

upload_2017-10-16_16-38-32.png

I can't quite tell, but there might be some black duct tape on the back seats. and why no pictures of the 383??

@GJS - This is definitely NOT that Texas car you are thinking of, unless it was there twelve years ago or longer. This Newport was for sale forever at a car lot in a little town called Carney, a few miles NE of OKC. I looked at it in November 2015 - and in fact, had the car posted up here - as I had thought about buying it. This is that very same car - dents, wrong console, black tape on the rear seat and headliner, VERY rusted trunk floor (as in "what trunk floor!") and more. The tires were about 20 years old. The car ran and drove down the road quite nicely, though. No smoke or weird noises, but that was about it. IIRC, the windshield was cracked, the wiper blades were shot, the top of the back seat is sunburnt and nasty-looking, and there was lots of little things about the car that need attention. The exhaust was half-assed, too. This car sat on that little lot in Carney for at least three years before it sold. It was under a carport, so it had that going for it.

When I looked at it, the car lot was asking $3K, and I felt like my offer of $2,200 was too much, quite frankly. It's been in the OKC CL a few times since. I believe a guy in Harrah bought it from that dealer, then it ended up in Norman. It had three of the four wheelcovers on it. Looks like it MIGHT have new tires on it, with just some trim rings added to repainted wheels.

I'd say "go look at it", but like I said, it's gonna need a LOT of work; with a complete trunk floor replacement, for starters. And in NO way is this a $5K car, unless you are absolutely Jonesin' for a bronze 383 Newport two-door!

@GJS - This is definitely NOT that Texas car you are thinking of, unless it was there twelve years ago or longer. This Newport was for sale forever at a car lot in a little town called Carney, a few miles NE of OKC. I looked at it in November 2015 - and in fact, had the car posted up here - as I had thought about buying it. This is that very same car - dents, wrong console, black tape on the rear seat and headliner, VERY rusted trunk floor (as in "what trunk floor!") and more. The tires were about 20 years old. The car ran and drove down the road quite nicely, though. No smoke or weird noises, but that was about it. IIRC, the windshield was cracked, the wiper blades were shot, the top of the back seat is sunburnt and nasty-looking, and there was lots of little things about the car that need attention. The exhaust was half-assed, too. This car sat on that little lot in Carney for at least three years before it sold. It was under a carport, so it had that going for it.

When I looked at it, the car lot was asking $3K, and I felt like my offer of $2,200 was too much, quite frankly. It's been in the OKC CL a few times since. I believe a guy in Harrah bought it from that dealer, then it ended up in Norman. It had three of the four wheelcovers on it. Looks like it MIGHT have new tires on it, with just some trim rings added to repainted wheels.

I'd say "go look at it", but like I said, it's gonna need a LOT of work; with a complete trunk floor replacement, for starters. And in NO way is this a $5K car, unless you are absolutely Jonesin' for a bronze 383 Newport two-door!
I thought that looked familiar, but it's been a while since I saw it up in Carney and didn't really look that closely then.

[QUOTE="themechanic,

I'm a B body guy lusting over C bodies. What do the C body experts think.

1967 CHRYSLER NEWPORT 383-270hp (8cyl-2V) AT

MOBILE
#5 #4 #3 #2 #1
2dr Convertible 1325 4050 8375 12625 19925
2dr Hardtop 800 2825 5600 9675 15925
4dr Hardtop 650 1875 4275 7025 10425
4dr Sedan 575 1750 4050 6700 9925
Town & Ctry 4dr Wagon 1150 3225 8575 13050 21900

Add:
383-325hp (8cyl-4V) NC
440-350hp (8cyl-4V) 5%
440-375hp (8cyl-4V) 10%
Air conditioning 10%
Deduct:
3spd manual transmission -10%
Manual steering -5%

Looks like he was carrying an un-teathered bowling ball in the trunk.

Ah! Ok, thanks for setting me straight on that one. I know I saw it a little while back shortly after I got my Monaco. I recognized the incorrect console and the dents and the bent front bumper.
Forgive my premature senility and disregard my assessment!

Back