Big Blue, the 67 Crown Coupe - Managing Director Edition

Nice... I wasn't allowed to drive AMG cars for a day after I hit close to 100MPH on our little 1/2 mile test road behind the one dealership in an SL55 during a predelivery inspection... for all intents and purposes those may be the fastest cars I have driven. Few had more power, but none delivered it to the road as well.

Yes, the main problem with the SL55 is how to drive it AND not lose my license. If I don't pay attention on the freeway, it will creep up to 85 MPH very quietly. Some years back, a California judge suspended my license for a year due to inadvertent speeding in a Fiat Dino Spider. The excessive legal fees I had to pay to avoid jail time were the worst part. I don't want to repeat that experience.

I just spent most of the day at the MOPARS in the Park 2017 car show in Rancho Cordova, CA. This was the first show I've ever competed in. Big Blue took 2nd place in the Imperial division, despite not being in show car shape. Most of the 200+ MOPARS at the show looked like showroom models; number 1 condition. My car still needs a lot of TLC to get to that level.
View attachment 129821

Dave! It is so good to hear from you and the fact that you were able to attend a car show and bring home a 2nd place trophy. Please continue to get better with your health. We really like having you around here.

Dave! It is so good to hear from you and the fact that you were able to attend a car show and bring home a 2nd place trophy. Please continue to get better with your health. We really like having you around here.

Thanks, man!

Great news Dave! It heartens me to hear your health is improving! and the trophy is just icing on the cake!

btw, do ya have any pics of the Dino? I love Italian cars.

Great news Dave! It heartens me to hear your health is improving! and the trophy is just icing on the cake!

Dino001.jpg
Dino002.jpg
Here you go...

I would drive it, I would wrench on it if paid right... but ownership would kill me.

The other cars are of no interest to me, I'm afraid. But the Mopar definitely perks up my ears!!! :-D

I didn't make the connection with you and your health problems and your ability to attend the car show. Glad to hear you were able to make it. But it does make me regret even more my not making it to the show myself. It would have been nice to meet you and see your car in person. Perhaps next year. I will put it on my calendar in BIG RED LETTERS! lol I also hope to have my Fury painted and fixed up by then so hopefully will also be able to have it in the show. I don't intend to take it past Driver mode so doubt it would win any prizes but the shows do need to have more C-Body representation and it can definitely do that!

The other cars are of no interest to me, I'm afraid. But the Mopar definitely perks up my ears!!! :-D

I didn't make the connection with you and your health problems and your ability to attend the car show. Glad to hear you were able to make it. But it does make me regret even more my not making it to the show myself. It would have been nice to meet you and see your car in person. Perhaps next year. I will put it on my calendar in BIG RED LETTERS! lol I also hope to have my Fury painted and fixed up by then so hopefully will also be able to have it in the show. I don't intend to take it past Driver mode so doubt it would win any prizes but the shows do need to have more C-Body representation and it can definitely do that!

Maybe I'll see you there next year, Duncan.
My Imperial is a "driver," not a show car by any means. I think it won a trophy just because the Mobile Director option is so rare.

I just spent most of the day at the MOPARS in the Park 2017 car show in Rancho Cordova, CA. This was the first show I've ever competed in. Big Blue took 2nd place in the Imperial division, despite not being in show car shape. Most of the 200+ MOPARS at the show looked like showroom models; number 1 condition. My car still needs a lot of TLC to get to that level.
View attachment 129821
Saw the pic of your Imp. that Snooty took at the park Dave, It lookz Great. Congradulationz on the Trophy Now stay on the mend, We want to see you and the Imp. at Carlisle next year getting the Long Distance award, Jer

Yes, the main problem with the SL55 is how to drive it AND not lose my license. If I don't pay attention on the freeway, it will creep up to 85 MPH very quietly. Some years back, a California judge suspended my license for a year due to inadvertent speeding in a Fiat Dino Spider. The excessive legal fees I had to pay to avoid jail time were the worst part. I don't want to repeat that experience.
After the pictures you posted I can certainly see why you got into some trouble with it. I've certainly did my share of shenanigans, but I never got caught doing anything that would've gotten me those kinds of fines.

I most certainly agree with Rip and all the others about your improving health. Keep at it.

Saw the pic of your Imp. that Snooty took at the park Dave, It lookz Great. Congradulationz on the Trophy Now stay on the mend, We want to see you and the Imp. at Carlisle next year getting the Long Distance award, Jer

Hello, Jer.
I haven't seen Snooty's pics of Big Blue. Here's a few pics of the award ceremony.

MOPARS in the Park 2017 A.jpg
MOPARS in the Park 2017 B.jpg

Man, so nice to see you out with that car getting some recognition. Like I've said many times, I don't consider myself an Imperial guy but there are two cars on this board particularly that changed my tune: detmatt's 67 and your 67.

Best of luck with your health. I sincerely hope you have many more years of enjoyment ahead of you.

Man, so nice to see you out with that car getting some recognition. Like I've said many times, I don't consider myself an Imperial guy but there are two cars on this board particularly that changed my tune: detmatt's 67 and your 67.

Best of luck with your health. I sincerely hope you have many more years of enjoyment ahead of you.

Hello, GJS.
Thanks for your kind words.
With any luck, the bandages will come off my leg in less than 2 months and I'll be able to get out with Big Blue more often. I'm thinking of doing the Folsom, CA Cars and Coffee this Saturday. There are usually over 100 cars there -- plenty of MOPARS, though few C bodies. Seems like every Roadrunner that was ever built has been saved, and then some.

Isn't there always room in the trophy case for another???
My understanding has been that if you try to keep two of them in the same jar they eventually fight to the death like praying mantises... my luck I would be the first casualty.

In all honesty I couldn't ask for a better trophy than the one I married and I couldn't imagine it any other way.:)
It sure is fun to look at other trophies though!

Back