Boom..

Gary is a jinx. I’m convinced. Last month when I took the Diplomat down I got off to a late start due to two flat trailer tires. Then about 30 minutes out the traffic came to a complete stop. About a mile up the road a car had caught on fire & burnt up. Took an hour to get past that. Got to Garys place kinda late. When I went to go pick the Diplomat up a lady backed into my trailer & clobbered the fender. So the next time I go down I’m going to bubble wrap the truck & trailer. Oh & did I tell you he’s tried twice to kill me.
You would be better off with an armored car.

All credit to Gary for working to secure this car, and again to him and his friend for their epic journey to retrieve it. It is upsetting to hear about that truck driver, I am so glad that they returned to their loved ones safely.

A sincere debt of gratitude. Legends, thank you.

Congrats on saving it he must have sold the motor earlier in the year. I 1st seen this car on Facebook and he was asking 2k for the motor and trans.

Do you know if it was frozen or not from the description on FB?
The add said HP 440 and trans pulled for disassembly and inspection.

Screenshot_20181122-140932.png

so, can anyone tell me more about this type of manifold? when and on what was it used, and why the weird shape (EPA?)

thanks.

They´re known as HP manifold due their better flow, which has something to do with the shape. They were installed to Magnum, Super Commando and TNT 440s about 67-71 as well as to some 383s. I think Hemis had their own manifolds like Max Wedges did.

Last edited:
Some additional photos for those interested, taken during my lil' ol' trip to the US last month (thanks very much again to Steve 'SafeForwardLook', Ray 'PomomaMissel', Gary 'Wollfen' and last but not least Ben '1970FuryConv' for facilitating me to visit with them (listed in chronological order of meeting the chaps, no favouritism lol. I am just an OCD pretengineer is all! Ha ha):

20181207_232616.jpg

20181207_232627.jpg

20181207_232311.jpg

They´re known as HP manifold due their better flow, which has something to do with the shape. They were installed to Magnum, Super Commando and TNT 440s about 67-71 as well as to some 383s. I think Hemis had their own manifolds like Max Wedges did.

Not exactly correct. Yes, the HP B/RB manifolds all have the "swoop" to them, but they changed over the years. (referring to C body only, so not delving into exotica like the cross ram and Max Wedge manifolds). I am focussing on the drivers side manifold as the passenger side were interchangeable with the B body.

The manifold Commando1 refers to is the 70-71 version with the heating vents cat into it for the manifold heater (the only year to have this). Not including a pic...just look above.

The 68-69 (67 too? not sure...getting old) C body HP manifolds look like this first pic...no heat vanes.
dscf0126.jpg

The post muscle car/ Smog era were less swoopy (second pic) and used on Formals 75-78...no vanes here either, but you can see the threaded stud to mount the sheet metal manifold heat element.

s-l1600.jpg

Mr. C, currently in the trunk of my 70 is a set of HP manifolds and according to the casting numbers and date, they are midyear 1970 C body and they look like the 68/69 example you posted..

Do you know if it was a midyear or possibly 71 only thing?

Parts removed from the trunk/boot (drive-shaft not shown):
I'd love to see more pictures of this on both sides. I've never see that before.

I don't recall seeing that on the 73 fury police car I've been using as a parts car.

Hey mate. That's defo interesting. I am basing my deduction due to the following codes on the cars fender tag:

F38: Roof Light Reinforcement
F58: Rear C/Member Reinforcement Welds

VIN Tag Deciphering
For Sale - A (sad) 1971 Plymouth Fury III Florida State HP Car

Could definitely see the roof bracing when I removed the badly deteriorated headliner, and deduced that the bracing in the trunk over the axle is referring to the F58 reinforcement (presume welded from underside? Didn't get to check if those studs holding down that plate were welded underside or indeed bolted on). Would have helped if got the chance to also check the '69 Fury I Pursuit's trunk/boot floor but alas ran out of time.

Perhaps the numerous police auto fans could assist....Gents, little help/advice...?

Mr. C, currently in the trunk of my 70 is a set of HP manifolds and according to the casting numbers and date, they are midyear 1970 C body and they look like the 68/69 example you posted..

Do you know if it was a midyear or possibly 71 only thing?

What is the casting number? The B/E body manifolds were always vaneless...sounds like you may have B or E body items?

Never seen a C body 70/ 71 TNT/Magnum/ Super Commando drivers side manifold without vanes...unless they were ground off?

Most websites don't even mention the C body HP manifolds like the 409s above...just "C body"...which is normally the logs.

Back