brake light problem 1978 new yorker

edselcat

Reaction score
hello ,my turn signals work ,and all running lights work and the stop switch passed the continuity test ,but still no brake lights the car has cruise control, what is the correct terminals ? for the brakes the top exposed brass blades or the pig tail, on the top blades there is a white wire and a reddish one and on the pig tail there is two blue with a white stripe, for the correct terminal which one is the correct power one and where does it tie into if I have a source problem or could it be something else .thx craig

hello ,my turn signals work ,and all running lights work and the stop switch passed the continuity test ,but still no brake lights the car has cruise control, what is the correct terminals ? for the brakes the top exposed brass blades or the pig tail, on the top blades there is a white wire and a reddish one and on the pig tail there is two blue with a white stripe, for the correct terminal which one is the correct power one and where does it tie into if I have a source problem or could it be something else .thx craig
The white and pink wires are the one for the stop lights. Check for power in and out of the switch with the pedal depressed. If you have that then check going into the turn signal switch. The two blue wires are for the cruise control.

not to Hi Jack thread but need more info for my somewhat similar situation. 76 Newport Custom 2Dr hrdtop. all lights work as expected, except the dash, tail and park lights. These only work when you just pull the headlight switch out slightly when in their detent position don't work. (New switch from NAPA). What can be the problem in this case?

not to Hi Jack thread but need more info for my somewhat similar situation. 76 Newport Custom 2Dr hrdtop. all lights work as expected, except the dash, tail and park lights. These only work when you just pull the headlight switch out slightly when in their detent position don't work. (New switch from NAPA). What can be the problem in this case?

I'll take a wild guess at this and say it's the switch.

My original thought as well, that is why am on the third brand new switch.

Is this why you replaced the switch to begin with?

Next time, please include info like "on the third brand new switch". It makes things much easier.....

ok, you all out there. here are the details of continuing problem:
vehicle: 1976 Newport Custom 2dr. 400.
problem original headlight switch crapped out slowly. after it crapped out changed out to new switch.
Switch changed out 4 times Problem is park and tail lights only work before their detent position.
Headlights work both high and low beams. Running LED bulbs for all lights. Still have same problem totally confused now as the switches work in the 1977 Newport custom I have as well. don't need snide comments need help. Any suggestions??

i'm not experienced enough with these cars to say for sure, but it almost sounded like the detents were slightly off either in the switch or the shaft. sorry i can't be of more help.

Back