Car Cover Recommendations

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have to park my New Yorker outdoors for the winter. I'm looking for a car cover and would appreciate any recommendations on purchasing one. I live in Maryland, winters aren't too bad but it does snow here.

Thanks Commando! I ordered the Ironshield from Carscover.

:VB toast:

I got a car cover off ebay from an individual, ~$25. It looks like the ones that sell for ~$60 in retail stores. Not the top quality, but OK. I think it is woven poly something and sheds water well. It has a tented ventilation port at each end. The first big wind, it ripped down the long seam. I fixed it w/ 1" wide duct tape and Gorilla Glue and it has been fine since. Looked like a manufacturing issue.

It is long enough, but not quite wide enough to cover my 65 Newport at the rear. After above repair, the seam on the other side had split a bit, so I opened it up and glued the bag it came in (same material) to fill the corner. Now it covers the rear completely. I always covered the Newport on weekends. Currently I switched to driving another car, so Newport is outside w/ above cover and another smaller one underneath. I think the most important thing is to cover the cowl vent so leaves don't build up. Second is if water drips in the passenger compartment or trunk. Of course, shielding from uV is good too.

Great ebay deal

Do not buy any car cover off of eBay! They shred just by breathing on them.

Not true....!
I just bought one (off ebay) from FH group international for my 69 300 conv.
IT"S GREAT....!!!!!! It's a 5 layer top line cover suitable for outdoor use. And the best part is that it was a clearance...... $49.00 + $12.00 shipping. And it was delivered within 5 days.
This type of cover for a car as large as a 69 300 normally retails around $200.00.

I'm likely going to buy another for my 64 Dodge crewcab truck.

Happy camper here.

Clearance sales and closeouts don't count....
(Ouch - my ears!)

You can't change the rules after they have been refuted. Many covers on e-bay are good YOU just made a bad buy.......suck it up.:frustrated:

I prefer California car covers........

I got an all weather cover from California Car Cover and will never go with another car cover company again. With a 4 year warranty, I am on my 3rd cover for the price of one. Excellent customer service and an excellent product!

Received my new cover today. Gonna wash the NYB tommorrow and try her out.

Provide Feedback

Please let me know how the Iron Shield works out for you. I need a cover for my 66 -300 and am a cheap bastard and dont want to part with the extra $$$ for a California Cover.

any cover outside will wear the paint off, allow water under.

I bought the Ironshield cover from Carscover for my '78 NY'er and I'm totally satisfied with it. It fits very well, has a felt under side and allows zero water in and has a vent on the windshield and rear window that allows heat to escape. It's great for the winter too. I'll post a picture later this week.

I used to think he same thing too.....
I think it's best to put them in sealed containers...

miss_belvedere_exterior_salguod_net_image_2.jpg

any cover outside will wear the paint off, allow water under.

Hmmmm...I've used my Extreme Weave California Car Cover outdoors for the past 5 years on both my '65 300 'vert and my '64 GTO. The paint is still on both cars and the cover is 98% water proof. A small amount of water gets past the seams but it evaporates once the sun comes out. The cover is very breathable and hasn't harmed the paint whatsoever.

I really doubt companies would sell covers for use outdoors if they caused the paint to wear off.

Check out the Ironshield at carscover. It has a very good description and pictures. Fits like a glove and reasonably priced.

Back