CB Radio ,anyone still use them?

Yes there are quite a few .

There sure were a lot of cool radios back then and built like a battleship. You may want to check out CB shops around your area or further to find what you want and one in good working order. I bought a President McKinley recently with a small amp for my truck and am very happy with it. Good luck on your search. What are you looking for?

Something with a silver face. Floor mount with woodgrain would be the pinnacle.

I searched online to try to find some history but it seems thin. I thought there would at least be some history on Cobra. There is a ton of them. The 29 seems like the standard pro model for the truckers.
Then the 25 a step down maybe, with the 19 being amateur. But no dates of manufacture. I seen a couple Realistics that had a good look.
There is Midland listed locally.
That would be cool.
I have a pair of Midland hand held radios. They are the thing that I have possessed the longest in my life. I have had them since I was probably 7 years old.
I think the only reason I have them is my parents immediateley took them and put them away. They were not toys. I could only use them while supervised until I was probably 12. I could leave the house with my shotgun but not those radios!

I do have one I'd let go of - can't guarantee it works but the fella I bought it from said it did.

My factory radio is thin I don't think an in dash is going in there.
My ashtray door is missing. I may put one there if I find one before I find the ash tray door. Otherwise I want a floor mount unit

Last time I used one was in 92 when I moved back from Louisiana, I drove the U-haul with my car on the trailer and my wife followed in her car. Great way for us to communicate and at that time the U-hauls had connections on the dash to make it easy to connect your CB

From 1983 it was legal to use it here in the Netherlands , lots of people got one , also in the house , remember the big antannes everywere.....

Talked about it with the moparfiends it would be fun have one in the car while driving to Mopar(car)meetings with the cars.

Using a phone behind the wheel can cost you around 300,-dollars.

I also used CB during the 80s in my cars and at home. It was an easy way to stay in contact with my friends.
Chanel 9 was also a good way to help people that needs support in finding an auto workshop or only an unknown street.

But on a cold and snowy Christmas day we could help someone out of a tricky situation. I lived in the Eifel (middle high mountains in the western part of Germany close to Luxemburg and Belgium) and at this afternoon I reseved an emergeny call from a guy who stuck with his Toyota Land Cruiser at a dirt road in the higher mountains. Nobody of my friends had a 4X4 but we went out to help him. We hoped to push him out of the snow by hand, but that doesn't work at all. So what to do? Near the stucked car were the USAF Pruem Air Station and we send someone there to ask, if the could pull out the car with there 6X6 trucks. But unfortunately they are not allowed to help civilians. Next idear was to find a farmer with a tractor. That was succesfull and we could help this man and his friends out of there predicament. That was a good feeling!

Oh yes, the QSL cards. I have got reseved the most cards from Italy, Spain and the UK. Nice memories...
My farest contact was Brasil, but unfortunately not enough time to change adresses :(

Well just a small update to this thread. The sun is ramping up as was predicted in it's 11 year cycle and skip is picking up more and more with the upping of sun spot activity. I have been much more regularly getting skip from over the pond in Scotland ,England, Germany ,Hawaii and yesterday a new contact from the Island of Corsica which is SE of mainland France ,West of Italy in the Mediterranean Sea. But what makes all this different than last year is the fact I am not even on top of a hill stationary or at my base station, but am driving to the hardware store or any random place and out of nowhere these contacts appear. I speak to them with my modest mobile setup and they hear me clear as day thousands of miles away. This is all on Single Side Band. Quite exciting if you are fascinated radio from a young age as I am. My wife says "I don't get it ,,why don't you just call them?" I just say ,you don't get it dear. Fun stuff and better than listening to all the bad news or the same old tunes over and over on the FM/AM.

Well just a small update to this thread. The sun is ramping up as was predicted in it's 11 year cycle and skip is picking up more and more with the upping of sun spot activity. I have been much more regularly getting skip from over the pond in Scotland ,England, Germany ,Hawaii and yesterday a new contact from the Island of Corsica which is SE of mainland France ,West of Italy in the Mediterranean Sea. But what makes all this different than last year is the fact I am not even on top of a hill stationary or at my base station, but am driving to the hardware store or any random place and out of nowhere these contacts appear. I speak to them with my modest mobile setup and they hear me clear as day thousands of miles away. This is all on Single Side Band. Quite exciting if you are fascinated radio from a young age as I am. My wife says "I don't get it ,,why don't you just call them?" I just say ,you don't get it dear. Fun stuff and better than listening to all the bad news or the same old tunes over and over on the FM/AM.
Thanks for the heads up! It got my motivation up and I was able to find this Sears Roadtalker 40 base mobile combo! Even has the woodgrain I wanted.

It looks like the sun cycle is stirring up the sales. There is way more action on the listings than the last time I looked.

Now to pick up a whip antenna....

I have news for you...cb is still in use in the usa, esp in the heartland of the usa.
It's called the 2 lane of america

FB_IMG_1672112463107.jpg

Ten-code - Wikipedia.

Interesting history, I have never seen all the codes compiled but when I did I had to know more about where they come from.
The gaps in the posted sheet are police specific such as an arrest and some have been changed such as my new favorite 10-37 wrecker needed.
Also interesting is the fed recommended its discontinuation back in 2006.
Considering the whole damn country seems
10-37 I think we should keep it.

Well it has gotten even better as the sun is about a year or 2 from it's solar peak. CB and I assume Ham radio radio skip has gotten better since last December. This summer for a month or a bit less it went strangely quiet, but then picked up in late August and September. My furthest contact [two way conversation] is now to South Africa and was in my pickup truck. Crazy stuff. I had heard from Medellin Colombia but could not reach him. Maybe if I was at a higher elevation I would have had a better chance. All over the USA for me in MA is routine now as well as the UK.

Back