Dash Removal. 69-71 Dodge/Plymouth

71Polara383

Kid with ballcap
Reaction score
Looking for tips on the proper way to remove the dash out of my 71 Polara. I have the cluster out already. Is there any exploded views of how to do this? I assume the windshield also needs to be out in order to get the dashboard out easily. Thanks guys!

IMG_1368.JPG

20170116_164552.jpg

I see you have a FSM, it doesn't give you steps to remove it??? I do know sometimes they can be pretty vague with their description and steps to do procedures.

Undoing the steering column, loosening the blots above the kick panels, removing the blots at the defrosters and unplugging wires/hoses is the easiest way to remove the assembly.

Wouldn't removing the dash pad first be helpful so you can see behind there better? I remember seeing the dash pad removal vid for a 69 Fury and it seemed very easy to do.

Here it is on facebook

ABC Moparts | Facebook

Either way is easy. I prefer to take it apart in pieces because thats the way Ive always done it. I have a full 71 Polara dash frame with air in my garage that I pulled as a unit.. It was a piece of cake. That was my first time doing it that way. Others said it was the way to go so I tried it

I am at some point going to have to pull the dash pad on my car and have it redone. 700 bucks ,,yikes!!!
Keep us posted 71Polara383. I would be most interested on how to do this too.

I pulled the one in my 70 300 in one piece. It should be about the same.

Unplug any wiring you can reach below the dash. It's easier with the ash trays out.

Pull the defroster vents and remove the screws there. Loosen (don't remove!) the lower bolts above the kick panels. Pivot the dash out towards you and unplug the rest of the wiring.

Take pics of the wiring routing and plug locations. It will help with reassembly. I like to tag the harnesses too.

Having a helper is great, but I took mine out by myself. You will need a helper to put the dash back in.

I also suggest you make some sort of stand for the dash. It makes things much easier. I made a set from old bed frame.

This was a winter project, so it had a lot of detail done in the house.

Note the tags for wiring.

Stands in use on 53 Windsor dash.
IMG_0760.jpg

Unplug the bulkhead connectors under the hood, pop fuseblock/connector into the car (harness will come out with the dash)
Remove speedometer cable at the transmission (to give you working room)
I'd remove the column as I'm not sure if there is room, I have only don it this way.
loosen the two bolt at kick panels
Remove left and right ac tubes from ac box.
Remove the screws in the defroster opening
Roll dash away from windshield, do not lift off the lower bolts.
Check for items still connected, speedometer cable, ac controls etc.
Lift out

This outlines the removal with the cluster in place, I have removed several but only installed 2

It is simpler than you think, I wouldn't waste time removing the pad first, as it was the cluster was more effort to remove in the car than if you left it in.

Alan

Unplug the bulkhead connectors under the hood, pop fuseblock/connector into the car (harness will come out with the dash)

I didn't do that with mine. Some of the harness is fastened to the body behind the dash, so I didn't think it would work and I unplugged individual connections. Hindsight being 20/20, I think I would try taking the entire harness out as you describe if I ever do it again.

I'd remove the column as I'm not sure if there is room, I have only don it this way.

I just dropped the column down. Plenty of room.

Best to remove the entire steering column. Remove top bolts and pivot towards you. Disconnect all harnesses and cables and remove as a assembly. Restore on a stand or bench and reinstall in reverse. It helps to take a mess of pictures to reference during reinstall.

dash removed.JPG
dash installed.JPG

So much easier with the harness on the dash.
2016-03-05_008.jpg

As for the steering column, I'm taking the car completely apart so it is coming out anyway, likewise putting it in, it was already out so wait to put it in. Even if I need to column to move the car I just put it back in.

Alan

remove the kick panels first. you will see your connectors for dome light, power windows etc.
if you don't want to remove the column, at least remove the wheel. it's awkward to lift the dash over it.

Just did this in the 69 Sport Fury Convertible we parted out. Pretty easy actually. Going to get another 71 dashboard out of a Fury wagon that is getting derbied unfortunately shortly. Will take pictures on that one.

Back