Do you think this car will make a 400 mile trip?

Unless you get AAA Classic(basic) plan(pretty useless) a lot of the good benefits have a 7 day waiting period before they go into effect.
I never had a problem with them myself, but I do believe you.

I'm not sure what insurance you have. Hagerty offers an agreed value policy that's fair and hard to beat. And if you do not already have AAA, they offer a cheap roadside assistance option.

I never had a problem with them myself, but I do believe you.

I can think of a couple of occasions when a resistor failed me. As recent as last summer I had one fail on my 65 Coronet. Crank, start, die. Normally I do carry an extra, but not this time. I found a "sweet spot" on the ignition switch where if I held it between on and start it would stay running. I drove 7 miles home on a windy back road like that. I may have carple tunnel now.

I can think of a couple of occasions when a resistor failed me. As recent as last summer I had one fail on my 65 Coronet. Crank, start, die. Normally I do carry an extra, but not this time. I found a "sweet spot" on the ignition switch where if I held it between on and start it would stay running. I drove 7 miles home on a windy back road like that. I may have carple tunnel now.
Good thing the trans wasn't stuck in second, too.

Who helped you? We have a great community at Carlisle.

Question was on the board with my symptoms. I was ready to pull the ignition switch when Bill aka FURYGT suggested the resistor. I've known Bill a long time , he knows his stuff. I found one at Herbs first thing Thursday morning. ..bingo.
The strange part was it didn't look bad when you turned it over, springs intact and not burnt, till I touched the springs and they crumbled..

I'm making the trip on the 7th and I am well prepared. I will let you all know how it goes and show a few pictures of this beautiful Mopar!

Any one of a 100 things can go wrong on a trip where you don't know the car. Yep, you can bring tools, spare parts, and a trunk full of goodies, but my experience is that the thing that goes bad is the thing I don't have as an extra part, or the needed tools to fix it anyway.

So I always hope for the best, BUT, plan for the worst - in which I mean have a back-up plan. AAA is a great investment when owning any old car should it break down, run out of gas, or your battery fail. I have the "upgraded" plan for $79.00 a year which includes the road services and the 100 mile free tow. Use it once and you have paid for your membership for a couple years. I have indeed used it AND it covers you when you are in someone elses' car too. Have used it this way just so I didn't have to walk. You get 2 free tows a year and I think after that if you need towing it is at a reduced rate as I recall.

Next thing I would consider is possibly jotting down where the U-haul rentals centers are located along your route. If it comes down to it, you can rent a box truck and a trailer to tow your car home. Yep, going to cost you some money, but still may be cheaper than paying for a tow if greater than the 100 miles - although I would do a comparison of the two. I would not use a tow dolly as your car is probably too heavy and it could get squirrely.

Another thing I like, buy a container of the Stabil 360 gas additive. This is a good additive and works well with the ethanol gas to absorb and break up water/moisture that collects in the gas/gas tank. Add as required. I use this in all my older cars and it does seem to make a difference as they run smoother.

Check your rubber brake hoses for heavy cracking and leaks as the rubber can become very brittle and you could pop a brake line. Inspect for rusted lines as well. Have a plan should the brakes go out- ie emergency brake/transmission downshifts. Generally drive reasonable, keep plenty of space between you and the guy in front, let the traffic always pull away from you - so you will be going 5-10 MPH slower as long as safe to do so - and apply brakes before you really have to to insure they are going to stop. I do this on all my older cars and even though the brakes seem to be great, nothing worse than feeling the pedal going to the floor cause your master cylinder went our or one of the brake lines split - even IF you do have a dual master cylinder system. Just be prepared and leave yourself an out if it it should happen.

I'd go for it and see what happens. In any case, it'll be an adventure.

Back