Edelbrock AVS question....today only

66furys

Reaction score
I have a new AVS2 that I may install today, based on weather. I looked on line and tried to call tech support, but maybe holiday. I want to fill the float bowls a bit before crank. I think the vent tubes are the holes outboard of the secondary metering rods...but have not taken one of these apart. Any thoughts on dumping a bit in vent tubes appreciated. If not today....please ignore. Thanks

Before you do anything, pop the top off and adjust the float level, THEY WILL BE WRONG from the factory even right side to left side will not be the same. And will create drivability problems.

If the car has been run recently don't worry about filling the bowls, cranking it over about 5-10 seconds will get them fillied.

One more note. The AVS is a great street carb, buy be prepared to get a jet kit and lean it out. Out of the box they run pretty fat, if you have a 440 it may be close, anything smaller will need tweaking.

Idle air screws, start around 1 turn out. Maybe less.

Well I am sorry to hear about the floats.....but, not that hard to pull the top.....so will do. IF you have the height and drop numbers, I would appreciate them.....not sure they would be hard to find...but will look. When I took the AFB on this engine apart, I have never seen more poorly adjusted floats....and I am sure they did not drift themselves. Normally, ime, you can pretty much use "level" with the cover for height....will vary a bit, but drop is another thing unless you cut the bowl in half to look. Anyway, thanks again for thoughts.

If the carb is NIB the destructions will have all the specs you need. Edelbrock website has the pdf too.

Absolutely correct....they are in the book, a page or two past the point I quit earlier.....thanks for the kick.

Put a AVS2 800 on my stroker and the floats from the factory were not correct or matched to each other. Great street carb for my cruiser 69 Fury especially if you are into part throttle response and not just WOT. Those annular primaries really help response. If I was mainly interested in WOT I would have gone Holley.

Took an hour to pull this one apart, and add the mods for my car. But, the floats were pretty good, close enough for gummint work, only off on float level by an RCH, and the drop was almost out of the large 1/4 allowance....so I leff it alone. Now, if I can only use the throttle adapter on the AFB to fit this Edel adapter for chrysler, and the fuel fitting will move over, all will be well with the world, for today.

I have a new AVS2 that I may install today, based on weather. I looked on line and tried to call tech support, but maybe holiday. I want to fill the float bowls a bit before crank. I think the vent tubes are the holes outboard of the secondary metering rods...but have not taken one of these apart. Any thoughts on dumping a bit in vent tubes appreciated. If not today....please ignore. Thanks

I had an AVS2 800cfm where the floats were correct out of the box. I added fuel thru the rectangular (sort of) vent holes beside the metering rods. Start up was great! Enjoy!
Right side vent hole pictured outside rear of primaries
IMG_20200907_192307.jpg

I think a good idea to fuel up the bowls first....thanks for pointer. I am also laughing about the air cleaner. I spent a month finding one for the small AFB, that is now no value. And, I had found an old large hole chrysler cleaner house that does not fit the new AVS.....so off again for another one. Hope my better half is not too alert to the web dollars. BTW 1970.....did you adjust the length of your AC stud and jam it down......I dont see a lock nut....or do you just leave it loose.

After some install time, I added fuel to the bowls....a bit, and the engine fired immediately. Runs OMGosh better than the rebuilt AFB. AFB was OK, but not great....this thing is amazing so far, what a difference. I have rebuilt a ton of carburetors over the last 50 or more years, and this is just amazing. Edelbrock bragged about the new booster design, and I have to say they got this right.....this thing is now amazing. Now, if I can deal with the dirty fuel from an old tank, and a power steer system that I have not yet been able to tame, I may have a first road trip coming. Have had all rear lights on the new wire harness, and need to check up on them, and a few other things....but fingers crossed....cut her hard both ways and throw her wide open.

Another learning moment for me.....the secondaries dont open on the stock manifold. Both mfr and sales outlet said all good for the AFB replace.....hmmm. I have ordered an adapter riser plate to allow more room for larger throttles. Edelbrock has notes about this for ford, chevy and for mopar thermoquad....but not the AFB. Same bolt pattern, but 383 stock manifold holes too small. Do more homework than I did.

Ah yeah. I lucked out and threw one on a stock iron manifold and realized the same thing before I mounted up.

As a side note, I put one on my son's 90 ramcharger 360. Converted from efi to the AVS, he's getting ~2mpg better with the carb now that it's jetted right and with way more power.

Maybe some of this will save some future folks from same problem.....danka

I believe the original AVS carburetors on our cars were 650 CFM. This carburetor you purchased is 800 CFM so that is probably why the secondary throttle blades do not fit.

With the new annular primaries the new AVS II carburetors deliver much better fuel atomization than the original design that leads to much improved throttle response, especially off the line but also part throttle. The original AVS carburetors were very marginal in this performance area and if you didn't have your crossover fully hot, fuel vaporization was really bad with the original AVS design leading to crappy throttle response during warm up until fully warm.

Nah....mine is the 650 for the 383. But, without some homework, I think the secondary sizes are the same, and on the 800, the primaries are larger. I will have to do some digging to refresh.

Maybe take it as an opportunity to upgrade to an aluminum intake :) I don't think there's any downside other than you loose the stock look (and a few more dollars from your pocket)

The original AVS carburetors were very marginal in this performance area and if you didn't have your crossover fully hot, fuel vaporization was really bad with the original AVS design leading to crappy throttle response during warm up until fully warm.
Yep, back when I was in high school, on my morning drive to school my Chrysler would always stall at the same turn-off about a mile-and-a-half from home unless I was really easy on the throttle. It wasn't an AVS (only a 2 barrel) but it probably had the same defecency.

I worked at NNS shipyard and had a friend with the same stall problem, near home. His engine had a heat tube to the choke, so in the parking lot I added a valve and shut it down about half....and his world was wonderful again. Just got and installed the riser spacer from Summit....all clears and first run great. Will detail today, adjust cables and kickdown rod, and take a short spin. Go Mopar.

Back