Exner

[QUOTE="1978 NYB,
Would of been nice if I would have received mine.... I have the next 3 days off. LOL![/QUOTE]

I could call you and read it to you...... :lol:

[QUOTE="1978 NYB,
Would of been nice if I would have received mine.... I have the next 3 days off. LOL!

I could call you and read it to you...... :lol:[/QUOTE]

We could have a conference call with the FCBO faithful. LOL!

Henry King may have been Exner's superior when he arrived at Chrysler in 1949, but Exner was made head of styling in 1952. At that time styling was working on giving the 1953-54 bodies a facelift - new grilles, taillights, trim, etc. That was when Exner expressed his dislike for the projected 1955 models and was able to convince Chrysler management a major restyling was in order. The 1955 models were a major change from 1954 - longer, lower, wraparound windshields, no more rear fender bulges, new trim and two tone options, and overall styling that equalled, if not beat, the opposition. The 1953 models would have looked great in 1951.

Henry King was head of the Plymouth studio when the 1955 models were being restyled. The work on the major restyling began in May, 1952, and Chrysler management also agreed Plymouth should have a V8 for 1955. Not enough time to develop a new engine for 1955 so the engineers worked on getting a Dodge-based engine. The new Plymouth V8 would show up for 1956.

Never have been able to understand the negativity toward bean counters. They do not pass judgement on the styling of a car, only the cost to produce it. If they say a certain fender design will cost too much, they are trying to keep the costs of production down to enable the car to be sold at competitive prices.

In late 1945 Ford was finalizing their 1949 designs and they were sized to do business with Chrysler, and not GM. The Ford was to be on a 118" wheelbase, Mercury 121", Lincoln 125" and 130". The bean counters advised management that if they were to price these cars to match their competitors, they would lose money on each car and probably go bankrupt. If they raised the prices to cover the costs they would lose sales and market share and thus lose money and go bankrupt. Management took the advise, designed a new smaller Ford on a 114" wheelbase, brought all the cars down one notch (Mercury to 118". etc.) and dropped the 130" line.

Chrysler kept their big cars and the higher prices. Chrysler Corp. ended up losing their #2 slot to Ford Motor Co. And that was the major reason Exner was able to get management to go for his new styling for 1957. Chrysler wanted something to get their sales back up in competition with Ford Motor.

Attached is a photo of the almost production ready 1962 DeSoto, S series, done under Exner. The Chrysler would have used the same sheetmetal, just different grille, taillights and trim. Plucked chicken wings?
1962 DeSoto 2dr Convertible R - 1959-12.jpg

Gotta admit, they were much uglier than the designs that did go into production.
That upper rear quarter/C-piller area is a total disaster.

Bill, do you have any info you can share on the demise of DeSoto?

During the first part of the 1960 model year the stylists were working on the completely new S models for 1962. Then came the decision to downsize the Plymouth and Dodge followed by restrictions on the redesigns of the other makes.

Chrysler was reduced to receiving new, finless rear quarter panels, with no money available for new doors, and used the 1961 Polara, adding the 1961 Chrysler front end and instrument panel and new rear quarters. When the 1962 Chrysler styling was done, the 1962 DeSoto was to be a Newport with DeSoto nameplates and emblems. Appears management decided to pull the plug on DeSoto in the spring of 1960.

Looking at the production of the 1960 models, the 1960 DeSoto production started off with a drop of 38.4% in October, 1959 compared to October, 1958. And it got worse - a drop of 75.3% in March, 1960 over the same month in 1959 and downhill from there. Production dropped 83.6% in April, 77.0% in May to a drop of 79.8% in July. Given the collapse of demand for the DeSoto, management made the big decision. The 1960 model year ended 49.9% below 1959.

Last edited:
As Ive said before Bill, Ive been reading your writings for at least fifteen years and you always leave me wanting more.

Thank you, Bill. Someday I'll trap you in a corner and soak in every ounce of knowledge you care to share on the 74-78's

Can anyone name one stylist at the big three today?
Don't need real stylists like Exner, Engle etc. to design suvs & pickups.
I dont think the term "stylists" is used in automobile design today. It has been replaced by "Industrial designers" or "designers". My guess would be that this was driven partly by marketing and as automobile design matured consumers put less wieght on "style" and more in thoughtful "design"....that is researching and understanding credible problem areas in the design of cars and transportation and developing appropriate solutions for those issues. "Styling" denotes something that was superfluous in intent; it was there "visually" ya, but nothing else was behind it (if that makes any sense). We would cringe and nash our teeth together when we heard that term...."stylist".

Styling has to be outsourced to explain all the identical mid sized sedans.
With the "corporate front end" concept like Chevrolet and Cadillac, that run ten years, they don't need stylists.

Back