Factory paint

TNT440

Reaction score
How were 67 Chryslers painted at the factory? I am positive my Newport has original paint, but I see there are a couple runs on the trunk hinges. Is it possible this happened at the factory? Tried to search for the answer with no luck, so I thought I would ask the experts.

Factory paint was acrylic enamel, what is now termed "single-stage" acrylic enamel. The outside of the car was painted "for looks", as the rest of the body was painted "for protection" and looks. YES, those are probably factory runs. It was all done by hand, not by robots as modern vehicles are now done.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Painted by humans. Yes runs are common in the jambs and underhood. Seems that runs are more common on metallic colors.

F6F38151-8454-478C-9AE8-C5C0181F2885.jpeg

Our '66 Newport 383 2bbl even has a few runs/sags on the valve covers, from the factory.

A lot of those factory runs are actually in the primer and then painted over. Many times when I've sanded the runs the primer would show through right away right where the run is indicating it was the primer that ran.

When i took the original carpet out of a 69 polara i was amazed what i found ....screws / washers / rubber plugs.............

Last edited:
Back