Fender Indicator Lights

440Chrysler

Reaction score
Hello all, as you've navigated your own restorations, I'm sure you have come across at least one of the fender turn signal indicators busted on your car. As many of you might find, replacements are difficult to come across, and making something else work may produce poor results.

I work for a 3D printer company and modeled up replacement lights for my 67 Chrysler New Yorker. They worked great, but could use an update. I'll be printing more in the near future. If I made them available, would any of you be interested in buying a set?

I'll post photos when I get an opportunity.

I couldn't find the bag of printed parts and my broken indicator lights, so I had to pull the one off my own car. This is "Rev 1" of the design. This design replicated the factory design, having a light shine up into the plastic and illuminating it. I used an LED for part life and cost. This proved to be too dim for my tastes. I think I used too much dye in the resin and should have put the LED in the upper part of the lens.
REV 2 will have better wire strain relief, have the LED in the upper part of the lens, and less dye in the resin. I'll post updates as I go.

IMG_20201209_081506.jpg

I've done a design change and will print a trial soon. First picture is what the first lens looked like, and the second is a cut-away for the new revision.

Marker light v1.PNG

Marker light v2.PNG

I've done a design change and will print a trial soon. First picture is what the first lens looked like, and the second is a cut-away for the new revision.

View attachment 421881

View attachment 421882
You might want to consider hogging out the cavity to present a uniform thickness to the LED and try and have the LED facing the back side of the ‘lens’. I think that this would provide a better illumination.

94091EA5-A1A9-4B80-8CCC-AEB10A03A4B0.jpeg

You might want to consider hogging out the cavity to present a uniform thickness to the LED and try and have the LED facing the back side of the ‘lens’. I think that this would provide a better illumination.

View attachment 421883
I have LEDs showing up monday and I'm printing a trial run of this design tonight. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and we'll see what we get for results!

Marker light v2 Print.PNG

I recently replaced these on my ‘68 300 with stock from Murray Park. My replacements are original parts and still pretty fragile, but working. I’d be interested in buying a pair of your 3D printed versions as future replacements.

FWIW, I seem to recall when I replaced mine that the flat part of the lens that faces the front of the car that tucks up into the housing has a reflective silver paint on it that helps ‘bounce’ the light out of the side of the lens you look at while you’re driving. Wonder if that would help with the dim led brightness you are describing above. Just a thought....

I agree that the silver paint was there to bounce light towards the driver. I believe this was because they didn't have a light that fit inside the chrome molding around the light. Now that lights small enough to fit are available off the shelf, I wanted to do some updating and provide a potential replacement.

Back