Finally getting started

I'm glad you are going retro on the interior. The 60s interiors have never been topped when it came to fabric. Silk Brocade. Imagine if they offered that today in a new 300?
buick2_8.jpg

I'm glad you are going retro on the interior. The 60s interiors havebnever been topped.

I agree. There seems to be just the right balance of leather, cloth, chrome and wood.
Here are a few photos of the paint colors I have been collecting. I you have a suggestion I would be glad to hear it.

68cad spectre blue firemist.jpg1968 Spectre Blue firemist.jpg1974_Mercury_Marquis_Colony_Park_wagon[1].jpg1976 Cad Crystal Blue Firemist.jpg80309142[1].jpgCrystal Blue firemist.jpgLucerne Aqua Firemist 1.jpg

68cad spectre blue firemist.jpg

1968 Spectre Blue firemist.jpg

1974_Mercury_Marquis_Colony_Park_wagon[1].jpg

1976 Cad Crystal Blue Firemist.jpg

80309142[1].jpg

Crystal Blue firemist.jpg

Lucerne Aqua Firemist 1.jpg

i'm glad you are going retro on the interior. The 60s interiors have never been topped when it came to fabric. Silk brocade. Imagine if they offered that today in a new 300?
buick2_8.jpg

or -
1970-Cadillac-05[1].jpglinc1972nottinghamcloth[1].jpg

1970-Cadillac-05[1].jpg

linc1972nottinghamcloth[1].jpg

A few more photos of the wagon. These were before I was able to move my cars to a larger space so things are pretty jammed up.

20140404_111156.jpg20140404_111222.jpg20140404_112102.jpg20140418_134143.jpg20140418_134213.jpg20140418_135047.jpg20140418_134305.jpg20140404_112027.jpg

20140404_111156.jpg

20140404_111222.jpg

20140404_112027.jpg

20140404_112102.jpg

20140418_134143.jpg

20140418_134213.jpg

20140418_134305.jpg

20140418_135047.jpg

Looks great. How long have you been working on it?
I found someone locally that blasted and painted mine for $200
If I had to sand and wheel all that off it would have taken forever.
I still need to go back and grind and re-weld some of the factory stuff. I want to add some gussets around the steering box mounts and I am going to look at seeing if there is a simple way of tying the front and rear stubs together.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I started on the stub frame Jan 6 2014 and was back on the road by July 6th 2014...

Tying the front and back together is an interesting concept but for these big C-bodies that are just for cruising it is overkill I think.

If this was a drag racer then that's a totally different thing.

A few more photos of the wagon. These were before I was able to move my cars to a larger space so things are pretty jammed up.

View attachment 49570

What's wrong with the original shade of blue.....? and interior for that matter. Not sure i'd mess with the way it was designed and built when new. Second guessing a trained and experienced group of automotive designers will usually result in a lesser product.

I have no problem with brake and suspension upgrades, but with the color & trim combo on this car...... You cannot improve on the appearance. JMHO.

What's wrong with the original shade of blue.....? and interior for that matter. Not sure i'd mess with the way it was designed and built when new. Second guessing a trained and experienced group of automotive designers will usually result in a lesser product.

I have no problem with brake and suspension upgrades, but with the color & trim combo on this car...... You cannot improve on the appearance. JMHO.

I understand your point of view. I might reconsider on paint if it was not going to need a total repaint. But since it needs paint and some rocker panel patches I can't see any reason not to get exactly what I want if I have to pay for paint anyway. I may decide that the original color looks best but I am going to explore all my options within the same color/ shade group. It will be blue similar to the original but if I can find a paint color that is richer looking or has some more pop that helps to really set the car off then that is probably what I will do.

With regard to the interior, my model is a vinyl trim car and I really am looking for that Imperial luxury look that Chrysler never put in these cars. If I just follow what the factory designers did in the luxury cousins then I don't think I can go wrong.

2011 Dodge Challenger has a nice blue...
Deep Water Blue Pearl

As for trying to tie the front sub to the rear sub...
Rear sub is welded in...
Front sub is on rubber bushings....
Given the wagon body already has stiffeners there would be no advantage
and if it was done there would be an increase of road noise and vibrations ....

2011 Dodge Challenger has a nice blue...
Deep Water Blue Pearl

As for trying to tie the front sub to the rear sub...
Rear sub is welded in...
Front sub is on rubber bushings....
Given the wagon body already has stiffeners there would be no advantage
and if it was done there would be an increase of road noise and vibrations ....

I appreciate your suggestion, I know which color you are talking about!
I just think a pearl is going too far with regard to a period correct look.

With regard to the frame connectors I need to do some more research but what I was thinking was to have a flange at the back that goes between the front spring bracket and, an end that would slip into the rear of the stub and attach using the same rear bolt that holds the stub in place. Totally bolt in and isolated using the rear stub bushing.

Such a clean interior, not seeing the need to change it.

what I was thinking was to have a flange at the back that goes between the front spring bracket and, an end that would slip into the rear of the stub and attach using the same rear bolt that holds the stub in place. Totally bolt in and isolated using the rear stub bushing.

The point of doing this is lost on me.
I know it's your car to do with as you please. But I might suggest letting this beautiful original go to a person who will appreciate and preserve/improve the nice original condition it is in.
Find a solid project needing attention and modify it as you please. I'm sure you will end up with a great car in the end, but not sure it's worth sacrificing a car as nice as this.
Again, JMHO

The point of doing this is lost on me.
I know it's your car to do with as you please. But I might suggest letting this beautiful original go to a person who will appreciate and preserve/improve the nice original condition it is in.
Find a solid project needing attention and modify it as you please. I'm sure you will end up with a great car in the end, but not sure it's worth sacrificing a car as nice as this.
Again, JMHO
I totally agree with you. This car needs to stay in original color and the interior needs to stay as is. The color combo on this wagon is beautiful and to make severe changes to it would just be wrong. Preserve this one and find another project in worse shape and make changes to that if you feel the need to customize it. I too do not mind upgrades such as brakes but this car is just too nice to make major changes.

I would leave the 9.25 in it. Did it have a factory tow package?

I totally agree with you. This car needs to stay in original color and the interior needs to stay as is. The color combo on this wagon is beautiful and to make severe changes to it would just be wrong. Preserve this one and find another project in worse shape and make changes to that if you feel the need to customize it. I too do not mind upgrades such as brakes but this car is just too nice to make major changes.

I guess if you guys feel that strongly about it I would entertain your offers.

I guess if you guys feel that strongly about it I would entertain your offers.

I'm pleased you would consider selling/trading your wagon. Six months ago I would have made that offer. I found and purchased my original 69 Custom Suburban last November, so now I'm wagon rich and cash poor.
You might consider posting in the for sale thread and see if you can find a willing new caretaker for her. If nothing happens, at least you offered.

Will.

Guess I will wait for chry73luv. If I don't hear from him I will continue mission but probably on a more covert level.

Guess I will wait for chry73luv. If I don't hear from him I will continue mission but probably on a more covert level.

LOL, no need to be covert. I, for one, would love to watch the progress. I believe your car will be a shing star which ever way you go with it. Not many pristine originals like that around anymore, just hate to see it go.

It seems your interest is in a high end luxury vehicle, which my 69 Custom Suburban is not. Otherwise we might have worked out some sort of trade.

Will.

Will,
I expect to put 100k on my T&C over the next 5 or 6 years. I have a need's/want's list to make that possible. I am in the fortunate position of being able to use the car for business purposes and maintenance ( upgrades) and operation, is a business expense. This makes the T&C particularly attractive because it meshes well with a marketing campaign I have had in mind for a year or so. On the other hand I would be much more satisfied if the car was much more of a Lux - Cruiser. I think I can meet all my goals :
1) Meeting the criteria for the marketing campaign.
2). Having an awesome old Chrysler.
3). Driving a sort of Q ship
4). Fulfilling my desire for the Lux Cruiser
5). Having a old car that handles, rides and drives like something that is more modern than the look implies.
6). My wife wont mind going on long trips in it. She likes old cars but if I told her we were going on a 4 or 5 k mile 2 or 3 week vacation in one she would refuse. I don't think she would refuse this T&C when its done.

There are some cars in which I would take more of the purist position. But honestly given Chryslers money woes and the penny's pinched and corners cut to keep the ship a float I think most of them could stand a dose of new/old technology that the accountants could not allow when they were built.

Glenn

Back