Finally getting started

Will,
I expect to put 100k on my T&C over the next 5 or 6 years. I have a need's/want's list to make that possible. I am in the fortunate position of being able to use the car for business purposes and maintenance ( upgrades) and operation, is a business expense. This makes the T&C particularly attractive because it meshes well with a marketing campaign I have had in mind for a year or so. On the other hand I would be much more satisfied if the car was much more of a Lux - Cruiser. I think I can meet all my goals :
1) Meeting the criteria for the marketing campaign.
2). Having an awesome old Chrysler.
3). Driving a sort of Q ship
4). Fulfilling my desire for the Lux Cruiser
5). Having a old car that handles, rides and drives like something that is more modern than the look implies.
6). My wife wont mind going on long trips in it. She likes old cars but if I told her we were going on a 4 or 5 k mile 2 or 3 week vacation in one she would refuse. I don't think she would refuse this T&C when its done.

There are some cars in which I would take more of the purist position. But honestly given Chryslers money woes and the penny's pinched and corners cut to keep the ship a float I think most of them could stand a dose of new/old technology that the accountants could not allow when they were built.

Glenn

Sounds like a win - win Glenn, I would be anxious to watch the progress. I've been involved with some over the top pro-touring builds and may be able to help out with sources if needed. I'm ok with the mods, The herd of nice originals is getting thin, but I'll get over it.

Guess I will wait for chry73luv. If I don't hear from him I will continue mission but probably on a more covert level.
I was making a comment on how nice the car was and how original it looked. There are not alot of those out there and with few numbers it would be ashame to not keep it stock. Thats all. I like the car very much but at this time do not want to buy it. I currently have 4 old vehicles in the stable and am currently restoring a 73 Dodge Polara VIP 2 dr which is taking all my money! If I had fewer cars this wagon would be up for consideration but for now I am at my limit! This wagon is very striking the way it is but to each his own. I was just giving an opinion. Good luck on it either way.

Pulled the fuel tank and scraped about 1/2 inch of undercoat off the tank. Filled it with Evapo Rust and let it sit for a week. Drained it and sanded the surface. Just used metal prep and rinsed. Now drying getting ready to paint. Does anyone know if this is supposed to have a pad?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Was able to make some progress this weekend. I am pulling the top end and replacing the heads, intake,ignition and carb. Probably will replace the timing chain while I am at it.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is the ignition system I will be using. It allows me to bypass the balast resistor. The distributor has been curved for my application. I have used this system on a couple of other projects with good results.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Got the fuel tank in this weekend and replaced the fuel lines.

Nice stuff, Do you have any info on that IGN. system....? looks interesting. I still run points in my vehicles just because I never have any problems with them. But I know there is a performance advantage with a modern electronic IGN and want to try one.

Nice stuff, Do you have any info on that IGN. system....? looks interesting. I still run points in my vehicles just because I never have any problems with them. But I know there is a performance advantage with a modern electronic IGN and want to try one.

I like the fact I don't have to deal with the ballast resistor. If you want to do a stealth install on a points conversion, pull the glove box liner and mount control box inside on fire wall. Pull wire through an existing grommet, use the jumper on the ballast resistor. He will recurve the distributor to fit your profile, cam, carb, gear, weight etc.

Digital Micro Processor Circuitry with Built in DEAD STOP REVLimiter
EliminatesBallast Resistor, 44KV Output on demand, Plug and Play, one simple wiringmodification (Eliminate Ballast Resistor), stock mounting, Algorithm Dial TypePOSITIVE STOP REV Limiter, CnC machined from 6061 billet aluminum, will notretard timing or drop output to:
7,000RPM
TheHRR688 Ignition can be quickly and easily wired to any Ford, AMC or anyapplications that use a standard 4 wire hook up and Magnetic Pick-up typedistributor.
ThePower of a CD Ignition
Ina Mopar Plug and Play System
AllFBO Ignition Electronics carry a Limited 3 YearWarranty
fromDate of Purchase to original purchaser (1 Year on Coils)

• 44KV Out Put
  • Built In Rev Limiter Externally Adjustable
  • Start sensor technology to increase Coil Voltage when cranking for quicker starts
  • No Ballast Resistor
  • 6061 Billet Al. CnC Machined Housing
  • Bolts in Original Mopar Mounting Holes
  • Plug & Play to Stock Mopar Electronic Wire Harness
  • Self Diagnostic System with LED OK Indicator
  • Triggers Off Any Magnetic Pick-Up Type Distributor
  • American Made by Skilled American Craftsmen
  • Boxes Machined in Missouri
  • Terminals Made in Nevada
  • Circuitry built in California
  • Assembled in Florida
  • Easy Replacement for Ford Duraspark, IH, AMC, Early Nissan or any other 4 pin electronic ignition.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

That engine looks pretty clean inside. Someone must have kept after the oil changes.

I agree, from what I have been able to tell the original owner was an engineer in the Naval ship yards in Philadelphia. Moved to Ft. Worth and worked at Carswell AFB or General Dynamics. The car spent most of its life in the Philadelphia, South Jersey area. Just wish the body was as clean as the engine. Was installing new brakes on the rear and noticed that the reinforcement in the wheel house for the rear seat belts were both loose and completely rusted free of the body. It really puzzling I have never seen this before especially since this is the only rusted area in the wheel wells. Almost looks like they were cut free, but it is definitely rust.

I had 4secondsflat custom tuned System.
Excellent. Highly recommended.

I have been extremely pleased with the way the system works and Don has always been willing to answer questions, not just about his system but with regard to overall tuning.

Back