Fuel injection advice.......

Well I hope I didn't come off sounding rude and if so I am sorry. We all know the bottom line is fuel injection has the potential and does do better than a carb when setup correctly. I bet there isn't one production car in the states anyways that isn't fuel injected for good reason. At least on paper you should be able to better a carb in all respects. I wish you luck with it.

Last edited:
My rear axle is a 3.23 sure-grip. That comment was the first time I drove it with the fitech. It was an obvious improvement over the edelbrock right out of the box. The rear tires are 275-45r18. I picked them so the speedo wouldn't change. Nearly same diameter as 225-75R15's. The fuel ratio is programmable at several points in the power band. Several items I've read on the net recommend around 14.7 at idle because it's the theoretical ideal. A couple sites mention going higher causes NOx emissions if you don't have a catalytic converter. Wide open throttle, etc is a bit of trial an error but can be done with the controller while driving. Pull over and stop first... Haven't tried it yet but having the computer control the spark also allows you to adjust timing from the driver's seat too. Since the fitech knows throttle position, manifold vacuum, etc it can change the ratio based on driving habits. Haven't driven it a lot yet, still working on getting the brakes to lock up when I stomp on the pedal. More important to be able to stop than set land speed records. You can also use a cell phone cable and connect it to a PC and get a lot more data/control out of the unit. I would like to put it on a dyno and adjust for peak performance when I get the time.

Don't get too hung up on idle AFR especially if you are running anything of a sporty nature for a cam.

Make it idle clean and happy sounding and let the idle AFR land where it lands. Once the airflow through the engine stabilizes ie no exhaust reversion into the intake manifold, then you can start shooting for AFR targets.

With the computer controlling fuel and timing, you can set up a light load cruise, lean burn function that will show quantifiable results in the MPG dept.

The 70's Lean Burn program was a great idea that just didn't have the technology to be executed efficiently.

Kevin

Back