fuselage dual exhaust pictures

MoparMcK

Reaction score
I have a 69 Newport 4 door sedan. I am using HP manifolds and working on building my own exhaust. Does anyone have pictures of how the pipes are routed front to back? I have found a couple video references but it never hurts to see more. I know the exhaust kits fit more than just the fuselage era.

'69 newport convertable. bent by me.
exhaust 006.JPG
exhaust 001.JPG
exhaust 005.JPG
exhaust 004.JPG

Hi, 1968 Chrysler NewYorker original. Many cars use a joint between the head pipe and pipe connecting to the mufflers, saves time if you need to change mufflers

DSC06645.JPG

DSC06331.JPG

There are illustrations in the Chrysler factory service manuals, too. www.mymopar.com

Floorpan configurations were the same, other than wheelbase and such, from '65 to '73 model years. Post '73 C-bodies were similar. Of course, the front pipes were specific to 383 or 440 and how the flanges on the exhaust manifolds (model year specific, usually) were clocked.

that's an interesting picture. shows the front pipes outside the torsion bars. obviously custom bent. my pipes run inside and under. both '69 440 cars. i have HP manifolds on mine but i think they're from a b body. c manifolds must be different and require this configuration.
IMG_5014.JPG

I just ordered more pipe from speedway. So far I have the pipes back to the trans crossmember. I just needed a little more visual reference after that.
so you have a pair of front pipes. factory? custom? you ordered more pipe. going to bend it yourself? if so i hope it's bendable pipe. i use heavy wall aluminized. stainless was a *****, but i haven't been involved with it commercially in over 20 years. maybe there is new stuff that's easier to work. good luck with it and please post pictures.

so you have a pair of front pipes. factory? custom? you ordered more pipe. going to bend it yourself? if so i hope it's bendable pipe. i use heavy wall aluminized. stainless was a *****, but i haven't been involved with it commercially in over 20 years. maybe there is new stuff that's easier to work. good luck with it and please post pictures.
I just have a universal mandrel pipe kit from speedway motors. So I have pieced together both sides off of the manifolds to the crossmember. Once I get it done I will try to get pictures uploaded. Hopefully I can make it look as good as the ones shared.

I took the easy route, went with TTI and my own mufflers.
I have really thought about going that route. I am trying to stick to a lower budget build. So far most of what I have into the car, I already owned. I had to do belts, hoses, alternator, coil, electronic ignition conversion, brakes and a fuel tank are the main purchases so far. I have ended up spending more than I thought I would but it is for the better.

Hopefully I can make it look as good as the ones shared.
agreed. with custom exhaust, i always found that hanging it properly was more difficult than bending it. the mufflers should be supported directly but c cars only have a hanger over the axle. i welded lug plates to the floor behind the rear seat to bolt up hangers behind the mufflers. making clean hangers for the tail pipes was another trick. no clamps because there's no way to hide them. put your fabrication skills to work!

I have really thought about going that route. I am trying to stick to a lower budget build. So far most of what I have into the car, I already owned. I had to do belts, hoses, alternator, coil, electronic ignition conversion, brakes and a fuel tank are the main purchases so far. I have ended up spending more than I thought I would but it is for the better.
If you have a bender and time, I'd do my own. But no way I could replicate the TTI, Accurate or Waldren work.

that's an interesting picture. shows the front pipes outside the torsion bars. obviously custom bent. my pipes run inside and under. both '69 440 cars. i have HP manifolds on mine but i think they're from a b body. c manifolds must be different and require this configuration.View attachment 590826
This is factory for the 69 HP440 POLARA. These pipes are an exact copy of the originals.
The HP 440 in the 69 Polara was unique, was not the same as the HP440 Plymouths or Chryslers.
Hemi Mufflers and no mid joints are a couple differences that I know of.

Alan

Some pics of the TTI system in my '70 300 vert.

hYdrueo.jpg

XNw9smZ.jpg

nvTAN3B.jpg

1B07dtu.jpg

nvTAN3B.jpg

The noisy "Turbo" mufflers are going to be replaced with these '68 Caddy mufflers

hAVWsz7.jpg

Last edited:
These pipes are an exact copy of the originals.
no doubt that they are correct. i used the word custom. to my eye it appears that they were made by an individual standing before a bender, using his God given talents to make something that was worthy of being installed on your vehicle. there's a lot of pride and respect for the vehicle and it's owner that goes into that. those pipes were not easy to do. a lot of bends in close succession. i found it interesting for that and because i didn't know such a configuration existed. wanted to call it out specifically in contrast to mine as it might have created another routing option for the O.P. i can't tell you how much respect i have for effort you put into your car. just wanted you to know. SG

no doubt that they are correct. i used the word custom. to my eye it appears that they were made by an individual standing before a bender, using his God given talents to make something that was worthy of being installed on your vehicle. there's a lot of pride and respect for the vehicle and it's owner that goes into that. those pipes were not easy to do. a lot of bends in close succession. i found it interesting for that and because i didn't know such a configuration existed. wanted to call it out specifically in contrast to mine as it might have created another routing option for the O.P. i can't tell you how much respect i have for effort you put into your car. just wanted you to know. SG
These were copied from an NOS set given to Accurate Exhaust without seeing the vehicle. Until your post I had assumed they all took this route.

Alan

Back